A size comparison between the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS and RF 28-70mm f/2L

Nice comparison! Thank you for adding it. To be honest, that 50L seemed very tempting, but it’s size is a bit off putting to me. It seems bigger than the EF 50L, which measures 85,8 x 65,5mm. I hope I am wrong.

I just did some more very unscientific visual tests to compare the ratio of the shown lens sizes and I think you are right. It's much bigger.

Upvote 0
Hi there, nobody seemed to notice yet that new lenses have 1 extra ring, that reminds the one on the "control adapter" most likely delivery "control functions" while shooting with EF lenses. Any ideas on what the "control functions" could be?

Holy shit, what if that lens has RF and EF position? And moves a mirror to allow that to happen?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
RF 28-70mm f/2L
drool...

Anyone going to guess a price before Wednesday?

Not guess. We'll know soon.

But we need to know critical things before we swag a price at this. We need to know if this is a 5D4 clone or hybrid of 5D4 and 6D2. That will dramatically affect the price.

Also: IBIS, fps, buffer, video specifics, etc. are still up in the air.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hi there, nobody seemed to notice yet that new lenses have 1 extra ring, that reminds the one on the "control adapter" most likely delivery "control functions" while shooting with EF lenses. Any ideas on what the "control functions" could be?

Not missed. It's being discussed on the thread with the photo reveals.

Could be a host of things. Programmable function wheel, auto snaps into peaking manual focus override, clickless aperture change for the video guys -- we have no idea.

Also, it may not turn. Perhaps their 'satin' finish new black plastic (instead of current L and nicer non-L textured plastic) is slippery and Canon wanted a nice consistent gripping surface for mounting/dismounting lenses.

We shall see.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
What is "true" IBIS?

I think CR guy might mean that the classic body IS other systems offer may not be on board for stills use, which means the sensor is not mechanically floating to stabilize it.

But a 'faux IBIS' has been offered by Canon in the form of an electronic IBIS -- and that heretofore has just for video on consumer models.

- A

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Quess you are right, but my worries is, that a High-end 5D / 1D "ish" R-series will still need an adaptor to mount EF lenses.
So are EF lenses a dead along with DSLR's 10 years from now? That will be sad, and bad news for a lot of EF lens owners.

I still hope that Canon will make a ML/ILC with native EF mount
I like the idea of using the adapter that has filter insert I think that would be wonderful way to manage all my filters diameters on all my lenses.

Upvote 0
Here's what I think;

Canon never pours all the good candy in the same bowl. The EOS R we've just heard about will be an "entry-to-medium level" 6D-type of camera with up-to-date specs but with no IBIS. This so that they can lower the cost and price it accordingly. They bundle it with the 24-105 IS and 35 1.8 IS in order to compensate for the missing IBIS. Future RF lenses aimed at this body will likely include IS.

On step up and we are in L-territory. The 28-70/2 and 50L do not have IS since it would make them even bigger (especially 28-70). These lenses are most likely designed with another body in mind. In fact...I think it will look extremely strange...plain wrong to put that f/2 zoom on the little EOS-R. I am sure Canon has something else in store. A more professional ML with joystick AF, dual-card slots, higher resolution and of course...IBIS.

This might be a surprise for the 5th release or something they will mention as an upcoming model down the road.

Yeah good points. But why go to the trouble of making the new mount lens IS if it was jsut for a entry level camera. All the competition will be ibis so why bother

Upvote 0
could be aperture control or customisable.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Here is another view. Sized everything based on the lens mount size. Note that the RF 35 mm F 1.8 Macro IS STM seems to have a rubber ring on the mount that the others don't seem to have.View attachment 180055
From what I see in the pictures is that all BUT the RF 35 mm F 1.8 Macro IS STM seem to have a rubber ring on the mount for weather sealing.

Upvote 0