Adobe adds Canon EOS R5 support to Premiere Pro

Jan 29, 2011
This is all nice. But Canon needs to stop threatening open source projects that want to access CR3 files. All of the opensource photoeditors are ready to add CR3 support but are held back by threats from Canon. So I have had an R for over a year and still can't edit RAW files from it. It is just another example of Canon finding new ways to cripple their cameras. I use my 80D more than my R becuase I can use RAW files. I am not buying another Canon any thing until they pull their heads out of their drain pipes.
Bullshit, IP is IP, if Canon invested a lot of time and effort into their file protocols they should be able to do what they want with them with regards allowing other companies to profit from their work, if that doesn’t suit your needs don’t buy one of their cameras.

You can always export a .CR3 as a TIFF from DPP for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Canon didn't invest a lot of ****** all into the file format. Most of the file format is made up of standards taken for free from other organizations.

Well first of all the only two countries in the world that recognize software patents are the US and India. Even the US government didn't believe in software patents, they were an invention of SCOTUS. The file format was LEGALLY reverse engineered by the opensource community. The bottom line is no one serious about photography uses the Canon photo editor software. So why are they preventing people from being able to use their cameras to their full potential? I need Raw files to do my work to it's full potential. Canon has chased me away from using their cameras for video work and are pushing me to abandon them for stills as well.

If by free you mean after buying an new computer along with a licence for windows finding space to store the computer and then strugling with fighting muscle memory becuase Windows works differently from Linux. That also mean a more inefficient work flow. If you have no idea what you are talking about why not just not say any thing.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Oh that’s not really fair, anybody that cares about color already has a Color Checker and makes their own profiles for which Adobe make a free for all no subscription fully supported program, which takes about 15 seconds to make profiles accurate for your own personal camera.

I bit the bullet and bought a Color Checker and installed the X-rite tools. It comes with a LR plugin out of the box. Snap a picture, load into LR, export with plugin, reboot LR. That's it!
I still think DPP4 does a better job, but skipping DPP4 is a viable option now, which it wasn't before. Now I need to make some time to see if this also gets rid of the colour cast in my Sigma lenses, the 150mm macro feels very yellow compared to the 100mm L.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-24 om 19.41.21.png

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I bit the bullet and bought a Color Checker and installed the X-rite tools. It comes with a LR plugin out of the box. Snap a picture, load into LR, export with plugin, reboot LR. That's it!
I still think DPP4 does a better job, but skipping DPP4 is a viable option now, which it wasn't before. Now I need to make some time to see if this also gets rid of the colour cast in my Sigma lenses, the 150mm macro feels very yellow compared to the 100mm L.

View attachment 190987
Very pleased you liked the purchase. As for the software I really didn’t like the X-Rite package so I make all my profiles with the free Adobe DNG Profile Editor software, much more control and adjustment, not as sensitive to exposure and WB issues, and better dual illuminant profiles.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

Upvote 0