Adobe adds support for the Canon EOS R3 and more

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Probably depends on what you shoot and how you like to process. I played around with a photo from my recent Karijini trip that I had processed using luminosity masks in the previous version of LR and then re did it from scratch using the new tools and results were greatly improved to my eye.
I forgot the exact term but I think I made to make certain adjustments to my selection which I’m still pretty bad at using this new tool.

I always have Lumenzia in PS to fall back on but I like using this one in LR too so just need to play around with it more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Agree. Hopefully they can fix this in the next "big" update. A Spot healing brush that's just like the PS version would be a winner.
I don't expect it to have all the functionality of the PS versions, but as it stands the LR Spot function is very hit-and-miss - it's fine for simple blemishes, but I generally try it with anything larger without the expectation it will be acceptable.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Has anyone had a play with the new masking tools in Lightroom? They are great!
Yes, I spent 2 hours trying it on different images. It recognizes people very well, every photo I tried with people in it was accurately selected. There was just one, a group photo where it could not accurately select each person. I did not expect that it would.

I inverted the portraits and then reduced exposure, clarity and sharpness to blur the background. Then added a 2nd mask of the person and brought up the exposure as necessary so it popped out of the background. I'm not certain that I actually like the result, but it was just a experiment. The photos were at a class reunion last summer and had bright backgrounds and underexposed subjects due to the extreme backlighting which was beyond my control.

I really like the feature but wish there were a select background choice in addition to sky and subject. I'm not sure if its possible to automate it, I don't think Lightroom automates actions but I'll double check. Photoshop does, of course.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, I spent 2 hours trying it on different images. It recognizes people very well, every photo I tried with people in it was accurately selected. There was just one, a group photo where it could not accurately select each person. I did not expect that it would.

I inverted the portraits and then reduced exposure, clarity and sharpness to blur the background. Then added a 2nd mask of the person and brought up the exposure as necessary so it popped out of the background. I'm not certain that I actually like the result, but it was just a experiment. The photos were at a class reunion last summer and had bright backgrounds and underexposed subjects due to the extreme backlighting which was beyond my control.

I really like the feature but wish there were a select background choice in addition to sky and subject. I'm not sure if its possible to automate it, I don't think Lightroom automates actions but I'll double check. Photoshop does, of course.
I found that I can create a preset by copying masks where I have selected the subject and then inverted it to select the background plus a 2nd mask that selects the subject. I did that and named the preset to background mask. Then I applied it to a totally different image. To actually make it apply, The mask must be recomputed for each of the masks in the preset. Unless there were lots of adjustments that would also be in the preset, I did not see a big advantage. The preset did work and it ended up with 2 masks, the background and the subject so I could change the settings for each to make the subject pop out.

If a person had a complex collection of settings then I can see copying the masks to a preset and then applying to a similar photo as a way to quickly get most of the work done.

I did not yet try the depth mask feature, I need to find some files from my R5 with depth info. I think I have to make sure it is imported correctly. I'll try that tomorrow, its getting late.

Upvote 0
I found that I can create a preset by copying masks where I have selected the subject and then inverted it to select the background plus a 2nd mask that selects the subject. I did that and named the preset to background mask. Then I applied it to a totally different image. To actually make it apply, The mask must be recomputed for each of the masks in the preset. Unless there were lots of adjustments that would also be in the preset, I did not see a big advantage. The preset did work and it ended up with 2 masks, the background and the subject so I could change the settings for each to make the subject pop out.

If a person had a complex collection of settings then I can see copying the masks to a preset and then applying to a similar photo as a way to quickly get most of the work done.

I did not yet try the depth mask feature, I need to find some files from my R5 with depth info. I think I have to make sure it is imported correctly. I'll try that tomorrow, its getting late.
Your comment about the press masks is interesting, I’ll definitely give that a go.

I don’t have any images where I could apply the range mask on, what data does it need?

Upvote 0
Anyone has download links to R3 files :)?!
Seems they now link to DPP versions

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Seems they now link to DPP versions
I meant raw files of the R3 :)

Upvote 0