Adorama puts an expected arrival date on the Canon EOS R5 body

gambo1953

7D mark II; Sigma 60-600mm for Kayak-based use
I too am hopeful I will get my R5 next week. The last detailed update I received from B&H was on 08/28/20 and it stated I would have my unit shipped the last week of September. Although I have received an email or two since then, they were generic and did not commit to a ship date. I have taken delivery of all of the necessary accessories (adapters, CFExpress Card, L Bracket, a quad of UHS II SD cards, USB-C power block and cables, and screen protectors) and that was a sizable investment in itself. I shoot primarily Nature/Wildlife from a kayak and really want to get the waterfowl migrations and Fall colors with the R5 into this years collection. I shoot very little video, so I am very excited to experience the technological leap from my current 7DM2 rig. No RF lens yet but I will fill some of that in over the winter, preferably from used/refurbs. Right now I am wound tighter than a mother eagle with a three-egg clutch!

Upvote 0

JMSteger

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
Hopefully this significant backlog signals an end to the continuing slide of Canon camera sales over recent years. I was lucky to see a couple of R5's in action on a recent workshop. I have not placed my order yet, but will do so in the not too distant future. As someone else previously commented, there are a number of accessories, including an EF lens adapter that I will also need to purchase.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hopefully this significant backlog signals an end to the continuing slide of Canon camera sales over recent years. I was lucky to see a couple of R5's in action on a recent workshop. I have not placed my order yet, but will do so in the not too distant future. As someone else previously commented, there are a number of accessories, including an EF lens adapter that I will also need to purchase.

Perhaps what we are seeing is pent-up demand. There's likely been a perception that Canon was sticking with a (again, perceived) outmoded technology; once they went full bore into something more up-to-date, people said, "Oh cool, now we can go with Canon AND 21st century technology." What you're seeing is all those people thinking they've finally got the "go ahead."

Upvote 0
I ordered mine from Adorama on July 23, even though I was convinced to buy the night of the official announcement; I waited until my older gear sale was confirmed before ordering. The October 20 date is consistent with what I had been told by Adorama before. Of course, I am not happy about it and am frustrated and worried about working now with only my one back-up body in service until the R5 arrives. I will almost surely order another R5 pretty soon, as I like to have two same bodies for work, but will wait a few more months until the market supply catches up to the demand to do that. Meanwhile, I am a little jealous of you people who already have yours in hand.

Upvote 0
I ordered one from B&H 3 hours after preorders opened. I didn't receive the October email update. Recently I contacted customer support and all they told me was it's backordered. It sucks because I had to pay upfront and now I've lost $455 AUD just from the exchange rate.
It’s a roll of the dice on currency fluctuations. It could have just as easily gone the other way and then you would have made money (On paper). Prices fluctuate, but eventually you have to pick a point in time to take action. I hope you get your camera soon!

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I ordered one from B&H 3 hours after preorders opened. I didn't receive the October email update. Recently I contacted customer support and all they told me was it's backordered. It sucks because I had to pay upfront and now I've lost $455 AUD just from the exchange rate.
Welcome to the club, my friend:-(
My experience was identical, just the country is different...
B&H ordering for Canadians

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
It’s a roll of the dice on currency fluctuations. It could have just as easily gone the other way and then you would have made money (On paper). Prices fluctuate, but eventually you have to pick a point in time to take action. I hope you get your camera soon!
That's not correct.
It's not about the exchange rate. It's about the fee you pay on your credit card if you conduct transactions in your currency other than your own.
That is a separate fee and you pay it regardless of the currency fluctuations.
I did talk to my bank and they confirmed it.
Their solution: get another credit card that's for US dollars, not just for Canadian dollars.

The problem is, as a foreign citizen, you still can't purchase anything from Canon USA, even if you have that other credit card.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
How did you lose if you paid up front? You paid a price you were willing to pay at the time for a camera. You will get the camera. If you hadn't paid up front, then you could argue that you gained or lost on currency fluctuation because the price changed after you made your decision. The most you can say is that you didn't gain from the subsequent change in exchange rate, not that you lost because of it because you paid when you made your decision.

Upvote 0
We’ll have to see if there’s any update this morning, but 10/20/20 came and went, no activity on my preorder. Website still says:

“Expected to arrive by 10/20/2020”

Fingers crossed this morning

We are still in September.

I feel your pain though. I ordered in the 9th and haven’t got my camera while some folks have gotten several already.

Upvote 0
I know this post is for Adoroma orders, but this may shed light on all orders - my order was from B&H.

I placed my order September 6, and I got this email a few days after:

Canon R5 Order Update – September 9th, 2020
In our last email we shared that Canon R5 preorders were very strong and Canon’s deliveries to US retailers have been extremely limited. We also promised to send regular updates. Since that note, we have not received any R5 deliveries from Canon, but we have received an updated shipment schedule from Canon.

Unfortunately, this shipment is for much fewer cameras than what we expected. Based on this new information, we do not have an ETA for your camera, but we know it will likely not be until late October or early November.

We apologize that we’ve previously thought it would be earlier. Canon’s shipping schedule changed, and this is out of our hands. Your place in queue for the camera has not been compromised as we are strictly keeping to our first come first served basis.

The launch of the new R5 has been incredibly well received and we know how excited people are to receive this new camera. We apologize for the continuing delay. Please accept our sincere commitment that we are working hard to get you your camera to you as quickly as possible.

Thank you,
The B&H Team

Upvote 0

In other news - updates to the firmware:

Canon Updates Firmware
for EOS R5 and R6 Cameras

Canon has released new firmware for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 mirrorless cameras. Firmware version 1.1.1 is the follow-up to version 1.1.0 and improves image stabilization performance for both cameras when working with the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens. For the EOS R6, specifically, this update will also address overheating display settings and temperature detection, as well as IS performance issues during continuous shooting bursts, IS performance during video recording, Slow Synchro settings display, Korean language typos, FTP connectivity issues, and available recording time limit display when a Date/Time/Zone has not been set. To install these updates, please visit the EOS R5 and EOS R6 pages on Canon’s website for more information.

Upvote 0