Adorama shipping to Canada

rumorzmonger

EOS 90D
Feb 2, 2011
118
0
Canada
Purolator always charges brokerage fees, and often often charges duty (even on on duty-free items)... and I have lots of B&H invoices to prove it. B&H will usually refund the duty if you contact them to inform them of the mistake, but you're stuck paying the brokerage fees.

There is no brokerage fees with UPS expedited or express services - only with ground services. Sometimes they charge duty (usually due to an error on the part of the retailer in filling out the customs paperwork) but I just deduct the incorrect charges from my UPS invoice when I pay it, and seldom have a problem.
 

ions

EOS RP
Jul 19, 2011
286
8
www.flickr.com
The current B&H system is great apparently. I've yet to try it firsthand but I know a few people that have used it for shipping to Canada. When going through checkout you input the obvious stuff regarding your address and choose a shipping method you want. One of the options is to let B&H handle taxes/brokerage and that's the amount you pay to the penny. Or so I've been told by people who have used it. YMMV, hopefully mine doesn't when I order a 70-200 MK II later this Spring.
 

bigblue1ca

EOS 90D
Nov 3, 2011
173
0
Canada
This is an old thread, not sure why it was bumped. But, since I'm here reading, I can tell you I've looked at Adorama and while they look like a good company, I won't buy from them because their only shipping options to Canada are UPS and Fed Ex Air. Both UPS and Fed Ex air shipping fees to ship to Canada are steep, not taking into account the brokerage fees they change on the delivery end are ridiculous.

Whereas B&H uses Purolator to ship to Canada and all taxes, brokerage fees, duty is paid directly to B&H at the time of purchase at very reasonable rates. Order what you want, pay online, and they're delivered, nothing else is required. A caveat is that the items are shipped by ground, but I still get them within 4-5 business days (I'm 1700 miles from NYC), which works for me.
 

Helen Oster

EOS 90D
Feb 21, 2011
135
0
41
New York, NY
www.adorama.com
bigblue1ca said:
This is an old thread, not sure why it was bumped. But, since I'm here reading, I can tell you I've looked at Adorama and while they look like a good company, I won't buy from them because their only shipping options to Canada are UPS and Fed Ex Air.

Adorama also ships USPS to Canada.

You are most welcome to email me directly for details: Helen@adorama.com
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
 

Jamesy

EOS RP
Oct 15, 2010
778
0
Helen Oster said:
Going forward, within the next 3 weks or so Adorama will be introducing the new shipping option which will be available to our Canadian customers.

Hi Helen,
I hope it resembles an 'All in to the door' option similar to what B+H introduced last year - then there will truly be an option to Canada from the USA. The Purolator all in 'The price is the price' option is awesome and win you a lot of Canadian business I am sure.

I must echo the other comments about UPS to Canada - you never know that the final price will be and the degree of variability on the cost can be outrageous.
 
P

photophreek

Guest
The only reason why I don't buy anything from Adorama is the shipping options. While USPS is cheaper than UPS/Fedex, the B&H/Purolator system is the best. With shipping via US Postal Service (USPS), there is a delay at Canada Customs and HST/GST is collected at the purchasers door on delivery by Canada Post.

For Adorama to compete with B&H for Canadian online orders, Adorama needs to collect the taxes/duty and make the brokerage fees reasonable at time of purchase. It is not just the cheaper shipping costs that make the transaction bearable, it's that B&H is collecting and remitting the duties and applicable taxes on behalf of Purolator.

I placed an order with B&H on a Sunday night and the order was in my hands on Thursday morning and nothing was collected at the door by Purolator. The shipping cost of the order was $9.26. Applicable handing and brokerage was $2.00 with any duty and GST/HST extra.

Hope the new Adorama system can match B&H. I really don't think Adorama has any idea the Canadian online business sales that they are foregoing to B&H. My guess is that this number is quite substantial.
 

bigblue1ca

EOS 90D
Nov 3, 2011
173
0
Canada
Helen Oster said:
Adorama also ships USPS to Canada.

You are most welcome to email me directly for details: Helen@adorama.com
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Hi Helen, I just checked on your website under shipping option information http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?op=shipinfo and I don't find any mention of the USPS option?

However, even if Adorama does offer the USPS option, I concur with the following:

photophreek said:
The only reason why I don't buy anything from Adorama is the shipping options. While USPS is cheaper than UPS/Fedex, the B&H/Purolator system is the best. With shipping via US Postal Service (USPS), there is a delay at Canada Customs and HST/GST is collected at the purchasers door on delivery by Canada Post.

For Adorama to compete with B&H for Canadian online orders, Adorama needs to collect the taxes/duty and make the brokerage fees reasonable at time of purchase. It is not just the cheaper shipping costs that make the transaction bearable, it's that B&H is collecting and remitting the duties and applicable taxes on behalf of Purolator.

I placed an order with B&H on a Sunday night and the order was in my hands on Thursday morning and nothing was collected at the door by Purolator. The shipping cost of the order was $9.26. Applicable handing and brokerage was $2.00 with any duty and GST/HST extra.

Hope the new Adorama system can match B&H. I really don't think Adorama has any idea the Canadian online business sales that they are foregoing to B&H. My guess is that this number is quite substantial.
 
M

MrDill

Guest
I was just about to place a order with Adorama being that B&H is closed for holidays and thought I had better see how there shipping is to Canada. I googled "shipping to canada from adorama or b&h" and came up with this Posting on canonrumors, and am glad I did. I have also been soaked by UPS, being charged more for brokerage fees that the product was worth. Fedex wasn't any better either.

I guess I will just have to wait until the boys at B&H get back from holidays. :p
 

Jamesy

EOS RP
Oct 15, 2010
778
0
MrDill said:
I was just about to place a order with Adorama being that B&H is closed for holidays and thought I had better see how there shipping is to Canada. I googled "shipping to canada from adorama or b&h" and came up with this Posting on canonrumors, and am glad I did. I have also been soaked by UPS, being charged more for brokerage fees that the product was worth. Fedex wasn't any better either.

I guess I will just have to wait until the boys at B&H get back from holidays. :p
Keep in mind that Helen from Adorama mentioned earlier here that they are making changes to the shipping policy to Canada, perhaps another 'all in' option like B+H is in the works.
 

noisejammer

EOS 90D
Aug 17, 2010
180
0
I swopped a few emails with Helen in August... the "new system" was going to be implemented within weeks. Well, I looked a few weeks later and there was nothing new. I looked a few months later and there was still nothing new. It seems the idea was abandoned (or maybe B&H has Purolator sewn up in an exclusive deal or maybe Adorama figures Canadian business isn't worth the hassle.)

Having used it several times, B&H prepaid Purolator option costs $8.15 including brokerage and delivers to Toronto in less than two days... I can't even get the same service from a Canadian supplier. Sure, you're going to pay HST on whatever you buy... we live with it - call it the price of living in a solvent country.

I'd really like to have the option to order from Adorama... but there's no way in Hades I'm springing an extra $65 to pay UPS for kicking my package off the truck. Nor will I wait the extra two weeks that USPS delivery implies.
 

Jamesy

EOS RP
Oct 15, 2010
778
0
Noisejammer - I agree with you. I ordered from B+H to Toronto a few weeks back and the item was here in 24 hours - remarkable. I don't order from the states unless it is from B+H as it is usually a lottery as to what it will cost you to the door. My only recent exception is my RRS L-bracket for my 5D3.
 

JR

EOS R
Sep 22, 2011
1,229
0
Canada
Jamesy said:
Noisejammer - I agree with you. I ordered from B+H to Toronto a few weeks back and the item was here in 24 hours - remarkable. I don't order from the states unless it is from B+H as it is usually a lottery as to what it will cost you to the door. My only recent exception is my RRS L-bracket for my 5D3.

I had the same positive shipping experience with bh and i live in montreal. I think adorama should offer the same thing ... Wuld be easier for canadian buyers...
 

Helen Oster

EOS 90D
Feb 21, 2011
135
0
41
New York, NY
www.adorama.com
JR said:
[.....I think adorama should offer the same thing ... Wuld be easier for canadian buyers...

We agree, and have been in discussions to offer the same service for a more economical shipping service to Canada. However, Purolator have so far been unsuccessful in getting their shipping algorithm to 'fit' with our website.
 

Jamesy

EOS RP
Oct 15, 2010
778
0
Helen Oster said:
JR said:
[.....I think adorama should offer the same thing ... Wuld be easier for canadian buyers...

We agree, and have been in discussions to offer the same service for a more economical shipping service to Canada. However, Purolator have so far been unsuccessful in getting their shipping algorithm to 'fit' with our website.
Helen, that would be great news for all involved if you could swing this, win/win/win for Adorama, Purolator and Canadians.
 

ions

EOS RP
Jul 19, 2011
286
8
www.flickr.com
Jamesy said:
Helen Oster said:
JR said:
[.....I think adorama should offer the same thing ... Wuld be easier for canadian buyers...

We agree, and have been in discussions to offer the same service for a more economical shipping service to Canada. However, Purolator have so far been unsuccessful in getting their shipping algorithm to 'fit' with our website.
Helen, that would be great news for all involved if you could swing this, win/win/win for Adorama, Purolator and Canadians.

Agreed.
 

ablearcher

EOS 90D
Sep 23, 2010
152
0
Canada
Adorama and B&H are the two primary US online stores i shop at for a few years now. And I have to agree with others that Adorama's options with shipment to Canada are not as good as at B&H. I have no trouble with UPS - they deliver daily to my office. However, price wise it just does not make sense for me to order smaller items with such a costly delivery. Last week I was cross-shopping between B&H and Adorama. Price for the item was the same but Adorama's delivery totally killed it for me, so my order went to B&H. Purolator's costs are great and delivery time is acceptable (takes 5-7 days to get the goods in Alberta).

Otherwise Adorama provides great service and a huge variety of goods at competitive prices. Whenever delivery costs are not an issue, Adorama delivers faster than B&H (I order today and i have my delivery in tomorrow.) It would be great to have Purolator as an option for Adorama purchases.
 
<-- start Taboola -->