AF setup help needed

Dec 13, 2010
Hello !

I wonder if someone has any tips regarding tracking kids downhill sliding/sleigh (if that’s what it’s called)?

There is kind of flat light, and it seems impossible when it’s snowing, focus is on the snow itself, but the kids have very bright colored clothes against white and more white so I don’t get the problem.

What would you recommend to try regarding af setup? Feels like I have tried everything.

Shooting 1dx2 and 85 f1.4 L IS.

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Did just that but with a 5DmkIV. AF Case 1 with default settings and initial point autoselect works well enough for me. Straight on at 15-20km/h can get tricky at f/1.4 and 3m distance but for me a third in focus is acceptable at such circumstances. In really heavy snowfall, lower tracking sensitivity. Dunno which af case that needs though.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
hne said:
Did just that but with a 5DmkIV. AF Case 1 with default settings and initial point autoselect works well enough for me. Straight on at 15-20km/h can get tricky at f/1.4 and 3m distance but for me a third in focus is acceptable at such circumstances. In really heavy snowfall, lower tracking sensitivity. Dunno which af case that needs though.

Thanks!

Auto initial? So you use all 61 points with color/face tracking? I’ve tried that also, no luck. I’m thinking this might be one of those scenarios were nothing works, because usually it’s very very good...

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Viggo said:
hne said:

Thanks!

Auto initial? So you use all 61 points with color/face tracking? I’ve tried that also, no luck. I’m thinking this might be one of those scenarios were nothing works, because usually it’s very very good...

Sorry, wrong wording. I've got spot af as default on shutter half press with af-on doing all-point auto select based on subject at the point that was active. If I can't keep up with motion and keep a single point on target, I have a single button for my thumb to make the camera do Magic for me.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
hne said:
Viggo said:
hne said:

Thanks!

Sorry, wrong wording. I've got spot af as default on shutter half press with af-on doing all-point auto select based on subject at the point that was active. If I can't keep up with motion and keep a single point on target, I have a single button for my thumb to make the camera do Magic for me.

Ah, that makes sense, I use af on for af, but use the *-button for a different AF set up.

Upvote 0