After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

It's about time. We have R5 + the holy trinity for a wedding purposes and my wife likes it a lot. As we sold 5DIV with all lens too, we are left with 70D as a backup and I feel that in case something happens, modern smartphone gets you a better results (in some situations). Becuse of the RP sensor having 6DII sensor heritage, I refuse to buy one as a backup. So either we wait for the new entry level R camera, or it is going to be a second-hand R.

Now an APS-C model. It was imo inevitable since the very beginning, that such camera would appear at certain point in time. I did not believe the arguments about a transition path not being important to users back then, I don't believe it nowadays either. With the dead-end of EF lens lineup, EOS-M is standing cut-off in the corner.

I am not sure, why noone mentions the possibility of Canon (or other producer) to introduce a special RF APS-C lens designs, if it would allow to make a smaller / lighter lens. It would still provide you with the option to use big RF lens, the same way, EOS-M can use EF ones. I am well aware, that RF mount M6 III would be bigger, but still can be smaller than RF FF cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I miss the "always on" aspect of the OVF on my R5.
Why aren't the cameras with an OVF sold with an "Eco View Finder" badge?;)
The ignorance on display in some of the posts here is at times startling...I sincerely hope it is not willful ignorance.
I believe it is related to many facets of the "paradox of choice/embarrassment of riches" phenomenon...
That already exists for both EF-M and RF-mounts.
I think he referred to an RF-M booster. Is such a "wideconverter" feasible?

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
The rumor of a very small body and an "R7" enthusiast camera, never really made much sense combined.
But any commitment to APS-C on RF mount is good news in long term. Even if it doesn't start with the "R7" type of camera that would make it attractive for me to move to mirrorless. The "R7" hopefully follows later.
Only danger I see, is if Canon thinks APS-C should only be for compact-like bodies without or with mediocre EVF, like EOS M6 II and various Sony cameras. Canon please, don't go thinking like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The rumor of a very small body and an "R7" enthusiast camera, never really made much sense combined.
But any commitment to APS-C on RF mount is good news in long term. Even if it doesn't start with the "R7" type of camera that would make it attractive for me to move to mirrorless. The "R7" hopefully follows later.
Only danger I see, is if Canon thinks APS-C should only be for compact-like bodies without or with mediocre EVF, like EOS M6 II and various Sony cameras. Canon please, don't go thinking like that.

Canon will innovate and provide a glasses, which will serve as a remote viewfinder, and allow even an eye AF :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I do not expect IBIS in any entry-level Canon camera.
For full-frame $2,000 might be that line but that also depends on the competition.
The Nikon Z5 for 1300-1400 €/$ is a very complete FF camera with IBIS. I´m sure you´ll get the Sony A7III for around 1600 €/$ once the A7IV is out. If Canon can´t come up with a capable FF camera with IBIS for something around 1800 €/$ they will be missing out on many enthusiasts and Pros on a budget.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
But that would only make about a $100 difference in the price, not $1000. Once you have a camera that shoots at high frame rates, adding video is almost totally a firmware addition. You may need a bit more processing power and maybe a bigger FPGA, but $100 is an outside number.
It might cost them more for the labor to remove the video features and redo menus to exclude video than just to leave it in, so the price might need to be higher.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
An updated RP with non-crop 4K24 would be nice cheap b-cam for certain things. With the recent revelations about the R3 most likely being a lower MP camera (20-30) I was kinda disappointed. I was really hoping for a R5 on steroids. Then again, if the R3 has internal 6K RAW and oversampled 4K that doesn't overheat...I might buy. Really interested to see how the eye-focus assist works. I could see it being useful for certain things.

Really loving the 45MP R5 after the latest firmware updates. It has quirks, but they are easily worked around in my workflow.
There has been no "revelation" as to the resolution of the R3.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What, you mean that pure speculation on the part of armchair experts on a gossip forum is not a revelation from Canon?
Yup! Yet so many take it as real. Silly. If it's posted on a forum somewhere, people think it must be real. Now I'm going to bite My Pillow. o_O

• Wow
  • Haha
Upvote 0
What you call wasted space I call room for more IBIS.
The R5 IBIS is next level in APS-C crop mode but that comes at the expense of a lot lower resolution than a native APS-C sensor would have.
The R5 and R6 probably have the best IBIS on any full-frame camera but APS-C mode is something else.
This may be controversial, but who cares about IBIS for photos? The high reach lenses have amazing optical IS systems. And other manufs probably have their IBIS more refined by this point than Canon

• Haha
Upvote 0
Reading some of the posts it seems the old idea of starting with aps then “upgrade” to FF is still deeply engrained in most of our noggins. But I think it’s time we move on. For many disciplines requiring long reach, a crop sensor makes a lot of sense and if done well , a crop sensor means faster readout, better IBIS, smaller format specific lenses… It could also mean big $$ for Canon since the only real competition there is Fuji, and they lack the long fast glass. A successor to the 7D would make a lot of people happy I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yup! Yet so many take it as real. Silly. If it's posted on a forum somewhere, people think it must be real. Now I'm going to bite My Pillow. o_O
"It had to be true. I saw it on the internet." — Pierre Salinger in his press conference where he gave the cause of the explosion of TWA Flight 800 (quotation might be a slight paraphrase)

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Reading some of the posts it seems the old idea of starting with aps then “upgrade” to FF is still deeply engrained in most of our noggins. But I think it’s time we move on. For many disciplines requiring long reach, a crop sensor makes a lot of sense and if done well , a crop sensor means faster readout, better IBIS, smaller format specific lenses… It could also mean big $$ for Canon since the only real competition there is Fuji, and they lack the long fast glass. A successor to the 7D would make a lot of people happy I think.
I think the problem with this theory is that a "proper" successor to the 7D would have essentially all the features of an R5 except FF and maybe the 8k. That would make it a $3500 camera and I suspect the 7D crowd would howl in dismay at that revelation and Canon understands that and therefore you have not seen and likely will not see a "proper" 7D replacement.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I think the problem with this theory is that a "proper" successor to the 7D would have essentially all the features of an R5 except FF and maybe the 8k. That would make it a $3500 camera and I suspect the 7D crowd would howl in dismay at that revelation and Canon understands that and therefore you have not seen and likely will not see a "proper" 7D replacement.
Yes that's very true. I guess I'm just wishful thinking. . .

• Love
Upvote 0