After the excitement of R5 & R6, is 5DV coming?

Do you want to wait for the 5D mark V or go with the latest R5 or R6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi yungfat!

First I am not sure that we'll see a 5D5 before 1 or 2 years have passed. Focus, hype and stage is to the R5, R6 now.
But let's admid a 5D5 comes soon and would get some parts from the R5, e.g. the sensor.

Then I must admit that the R5 looks really good but I would have to look through the EVF before I could 100% answer your question.
Also the price makes me gasp. But if a 5D5 comes I suppose it wouldn't be considerably cheaper.

The R6 does not fit my needs. So it would be between 5D5 and R5.

Right now I still prefer an OVF which points towards 5D5. And I have the whole native EF environment.
The AF system of the R5 in fexiblility and speed (together with yet to buy RF lenses - even more money) and the point that AFMA probably isn't needed anymore would be my main factors to get the R5. All the 4k, 8k video stuff is not what I need.

Assuming that the R5 EVF is a big step forward and that the 5D5 wouldn't be much cheaper, I'd got for the R5. (If I had the money to spend)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am a dyed in the wool DSLR user, loving my 5DSR for nature photography. But, I recently gave up waiting for the 5DV or 5DSRII. Nikon threw everything they had in making the D500 and D850, and they will satisfy my DSLR needs now for action use, and the 5DSR and 5DIV with my Canon glass for general use. I‘ll be going into into Canon mirrorless via the R5 because it’s pretty clear that’s where Canon is now heading for developments in glass and AF, and it will have the adaptor for EF. Canon claims the 45 Mpx R5 outresolves the 5DSR. The 45 Mpx D850 already does that, so a 5DV with the R5 sensor is hardly likely to be an improvement IQ wise.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No matter how good the R 5 is, I'll be waiting for the 5 D V.
I really like my EOS R, bought mostly for using Leica M and R lenses, but I still prefer the "real" view through an OVF.
Pana S1 and Leica SL 2 EVFs are fantastic, but still "synthetic" ," unreal", in my opinion.
Not to mention the size of the bodies, which also matters, Rs are a bit small for my shovel -like hands.
So, if the 5 D V doesn't come soon enough, I'll buy a 5 Ds, new or used.
What about a petition to Canon?

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The 5DmkIV was released 4 1/2 years after the 5DmkIII. That was 4 years ago. If the 5DmkV was six months away, Canon would have given prototypes by now, which would lead to rumors. With a shrinking market and RF taking the lead, the more time passes, the lower the chances a 5DmkV.

So my thoughts are:

1. The R5 is Canon's upgrade path for 5D owners.

2. We've seen the last DSLR from Canon. Canon will close the manufacturing lines as sales drop, with the 90D & 1D X mk III as long term sinks.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I can't vote as, ultimately, "it depends". Why are you upgrading from your current camera? What "needs" have you identified that are not addressed by your current camera?

I am in a similar boat. My 5DIV is working very well for me. I would like more fps, larger buffer, AF tracking, faster AF, and better coverage of AF points (probably a few other items. I do not want more MP, video specs, or an EVF. I would prefer not having fewer MPs. So, while I have the money sitting in my account for a new camera, it is still in that account. Even though the R5 checks several, maybe all, my boxes for what I need, it also comes with a few negatives, for me. For now, I am taking a wait and see approach. I may get a 1DX III. I may get a R5 if reviews confirm it checks all the boxes. I would likely get a 5DV if it were ever released. Or I may go a different direction. For now, I am sitting on the sidelines letting those who have more excitement for the R5/R6/1DXIII pick them up.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I really like my EOS R, bought mostly for using Leica M and R lenses, but I still prefer the "real" view through an OVF.
It took me months of using nothing but the EOS R exclusively coming from a 5D Mk4 before the EVF stopped feeling weird and disconnected. But you know what, at this point it feels just as natural as an OVF used to. In fact, now, what I can't get used to is going back to an OVF and not seeing the view through the viewfinder get brighter or dimmer when I change my camera settings.

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
I have the whole native EF environment.
The AF system of the R5 in fexiblility and speed (together with yet to buy RF lenses - even more money)

If you already have a big EF environment you don't need to switch to the RF one. The lenses works just as good with the DSLR as with a mirrorless.
Going for a 5D mkV will not improve give you better focusing speed than what you would get with a R5 and adapted EF lenses (unless maybe if the use the focusing unit from the 1DX series, but that is quite unlikely). What I mean by that is:
5D mkV with EF = R5 with EF < R5 with RF. Your bottle neck in term of focusing, FPS etc will be your EF glass as the RF lenses have faster communication channels with their body.

So I hardly see how a 5D mkV would be a better improvement than the R5 (aside from the point of view of the ayatollah of the OVF ;) )

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you already have a big EF environment you don't need to switch to the RF one. The lenses works just as good with the DSLR as with a mirrorless.
Going for a 5D mkV will not improve give you better focusing speed than what you would get with a R5 and adapted EF lenses (unless maybe if the use the focusing unit from the 1DX series, but that is quite unlikely). What I mean by that is:
5D mkV with EF = R5 with EF < R5 with RF. Your bottle neck in term of focusing, FPS etc will be your EF glass as the RF lenses have faster communication channels with their body.

So I hardly see how a 5D mkV would be a better improvement than the R5 (aside from the point of view of the ayatollah of the OVF ;) )
Has Canon stated that the difference in communication between lens and camera via the RF mount speeds up AF and fps? Is the communication faster, and if it were faster, is communication speed the bottleneck?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Has Canon stated that the difference in communication between lens and camera via the RF mount speeds up AF and fps? Is the communication faster, and if it were faster, is communication speed the bottleneck?

And if that is the case, how are the new 600L and 400L affected? They provide the camera with DLO data, which Canon said was an RF feature. I strongly suspect that those 2 lenses have RF style electronics behind their EF mount.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
5D mkV with EF = R5 with EF < R5 with RF
Of course I know that Canon has done a good job regarding backward compatibility. But I don't know, if your formula is right. Do you?
The old EF lenses don't have the full interface and - most important - they don't have the new linear nano USM, which is also an important part of the new and faster AF system.

So if I was going for BIF, I suppose a R5+adaptor+EF100-400LII will do a really good job - depending on the performance of the new EVF.
But the R5+RF100-500L will surely perform better because of the native interface and the dual nano USM.

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
Electronic shutter up to approx. 20 fps with AF/AE tracking: Applies to some RF/EF lenses, when the aperture is fully open. See Canon’s official website for a list of compatible lenses. Burst shooting speed varies depending on the shutter speed, aperture setting, aperture condition during continuous shooting, subject conditions, brightness (especially in dim conditions), and type of lens. Mechanical shutter up to approx. 12 fps with AF/AE tracking: When using RF lenses and some EF lenses. See Canon’s official website for a list of compatible lenses. Burst shooting speed varies in up to 3 stages, depending on the battery type, remaining battery charge, number of batteries, lens in use, temperature, setting of the built-in Wi-Fi (On/Off), and whether or not you are using a battery grip and WFT unit, DC coupler or USB power adapter. In addition to the above factors, the maximum burst shooting speed may decrease due to shutter speed, aperture, flash usage, flicker reduction processing, subject conditions, brightness (especially in a dark place).

From: https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5/#comparisontable

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
None of the above for me. I was sorely tempted by the price drop last month on the 5D IV. If it drops that much or more again at a time when I feel like extra funds are lying around in my bank account, I may not have enough resistance. Mainly, I realized that I would miss the articulating screen too much, and would continue using my 6D2 a lot anyway. And I'm not dissatisfied with it for any reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0