• Thread starter martinelliminimo
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
squarebox said:
If the 35mm L mk II is announced at CES, will the current MK Is drop even more in price, or should I be picking it up while it's on sale this week.

I suggest you pick it up while it is on sale if you want the current version. There are no garantee but many on this forum have outline how in the past when a new version of a lens come out how the price of the old version keep their price. In fact, depending on how much the new version is going for (which will be more then the current 35) it could help sustain the price.

For example I think when they launch the 24 1.4L II the price of the 24 mkI did not drop that much, and so is the same for the 70-200mm 2.8 zoom.

Prices are good now, dont think they will drop by an order of magnitude more. Get it if you want it!

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
martinelliminimo said:
How much do you think the 24-70Lii and the 35L ii will start at? I just bought my 35 for 1329... Kinda wish i would have waited a tad longer.

Man I wouldn't worry about it too much, out of all the Canon lenses I've had I felt that this one needed an upgrade the LEAST. I really think this is one of those lenses that is getting updated simply because there isn't a Mark II and the first version has been out a while.

You got an awesome lens, just enjoy it and don't worry about the Mark II for now. If a Mark II does come out, try renting it and see what the difference is like. Then decide whether or not its worth selling your 35L and buying the new, more expensive version.

Just remember, when a new version of a lens comes out it's not like the older version becomes a bastard lens that gets thrown away or anything. It's optics don't become any better or worse. People will still buy it, people will still love it, and people will continue to get great pictures out of it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Axilrod said:
Man I wouldn't worry about it too much, out of all the Canon lenses I've had I felt that this one needed an upgrade the LEAST.

Just remember, when a new version of a lens comes out it's not like the older version becomes a bastard lens that gets thrown away or anything. It's optics don't become any better or worse.

Phew, what a relief! I read on another forum that as soon as a MkII comes out, the MkI versions all spontaneously melted down! :p

The 35L could use weather-sealing. Optically, it's very good, although it would probably benefit from the newer coatings designed for digital imaging. But you're right in that pretty much all of the other L-series primes under 100mm that were updated had one or more issues that needed work, whereas the 35L really doesn't.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Axilrod said:
Man I wouldn't worry about it too much, out of all the Canon lenses I've had I felt that this one needed an upgrade the LEAST.

Just remember, when a new version of a lens comes out it's not like the older version becomes a bastard lens that gets thrown away or anything. It's optics don't become any better or worse.

Phew, what a relief! I read on another forum that as soon as a MkII comes out, the MkI versions all spontaneously melted down! :p

The 35L could use weather-sealing. Optically, it's very good, although it would probably benefit from the newer coatings designed for digital imaging. But you're right in that pretty much all of the other L-series primes under 100mm that were updated had one or more issues that needed work, whereas the 35L really doesn't.

Haha, I agree. I would rather see the 50L get updated first, but I suspect that isn't far off in the horizon. And hell even the 85L could use faster AF, but then again its damn near perfect optically.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.