Amazon.co.uk's D800 price is killing me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
tomscott said:
Digital rev now cover all import tax for UK buyers, which is why the products UK pound are more expensive than they were.

Add it to your basket. On the right hand under the price it says:

No Import Tax/Duty to Pay:
Any import tax/duty charged will
be billed directly us.

Sorted. I intend to buy my 5D MKIII there when I have enough, there are no negative reviews from UK buyers in over a year. Why pay £500 more for it in the UK and postage is free. I got my original 40D there some 5 years ago had no issue with customs. They offer a full year warranty with up to 5 year extra, this is based out of Hong Kong but send it back to the Surry office and all is sorted for you. Just as good as any other with a great reduction of cost.

That's the thing about DigitalRev, I've hear lots of good experiences like yourself I've also heard the opposite that poeple have been hit with customs and that they are a bit naughty on the packaging. But they must do a lot of business into the UK and I'd have thought customs would be wise to them. Your quite correct about the statement on their web site. I hope UK prices do come down more but if not I guess I may be giving them a visit.

Upvote 0
I have used HDEW and while they may import from HK or wherever you have no risk of import duty ( as they are UK based ) and they bolt on a three year warranty. It may not be a full Canon warranty but I have had cause to rely on it with an earlier purchase and the camera was repaired quickly, no quibbles and well by what looks to be a reputable repair shop in Glasgow. So only one experience but one satisfied customer here ( £2000 for a 5D III not too bad )

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The Nikon 24-120mm VR and 80-400mm are also no where near as good as their Canon counterparts. To me, that's a key point, because while UWA zooms, tilt-shifts, and uber-macro lenses are pretty esoteric, a standard zoom and a long telephoto zoom are two 'anchors' in a typical kit - having higher quality options for those is a big win for Canon.

The Nikon 24-120 VR is a tired old git.
But the Nikon 24-120 F/4 VRII is an exceptional lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Fishnose said:

Hmmmm...

[quote author=photozone.de]
So, in summary the lens combines solid build and very attractive specifications with just okayish performance in most regards. It's the combination of specs and features, not its optical performance, that will earn this lens its buyers nonetheless, especially since there is currently no alternative that offers a similarly attractive package.
[/quote]

You and Klaus seem to disagree on that point. ;)

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
Digital rev now cover all import tax for UK buyers, which is why the products UK pound are more expensive than they were.

Add it to your basket. On the right hand under the price it says:

No Import Tax/Duty to Pay:
Any import tax/duty charged will
be billed directly us.

Sorted. I intend to buy my 5D MKIII there when I have enough, there are no negative reviews from UK buyers in over a year. Why pay £500 more for it in the UK and postage is free. I got my original 40D there some 5 years ago had no issue with customs. They offer a full year warranty with up to 5 year extra, this is based out of Hong Kong but send it back to the Surry office and all is sorted for you. Just as good as any other with a great reduction of cost.

I have bought a fair bit of stuff from digital rev
never had any kind of issue with them although these days I try to support a couple of local shops as much as possible if theirs stuff is not too much more i'll go local

they also have in their warranty that if you need to send it back they pay for the shipping both ways too
their service is pretty good (just dont try get a price from them over spring festival, chinese new year or any significant holiday :p )

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realise that DigitalRev were now guaranteeing to pay duty and tax on purchases; that certainly makes their offer a lot more tempting...

I still find it a bit strange that the price difference on Canon imports is so much greater than for Nikon kit. It's just not worth importing Nikon bodies, nor most of their lenses. Perhaps this is part of Nikon's global strategy to stop grey imports (evidenced by their hard line on not repairing 'imported' equipment and refusing to supply parts to independant service centres)?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
chasn said:
I have used HDEW and while they may import from HK or wherever you have no risk of import duty ( as they are UK based ) and they bolt on a three year warranty. It may not be a full Canon warranty but I have had cause to rely on it with an earlier purchase and the camera was repaired quickly, no quibbles and well by what looks to be a reputable repair shop in Glasgow. So only one experience but one satisfied customer here ( £2000 for a 5D III not too bad )

Hi Chasn

I'd be interested to know the name of that repair shop?
If you don't want to broadcast it please PM me

Regards

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
zim said:
chasn said:

Hi Chasn

Regards
hello,

I am interested in learning this information too since I bought my 5D3 from HDEW.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
tron said:
zim said:
chasn said:

Hi Chasn

Regards
hello,

I am interested in learning this information too since I bought my 5D3 from HDEW.

Was it A J J________
in Hope St

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Fishnose said:

Hmmmm...

[quote author=photozone.de]
So, in summary the lens combines solid build and very attractive specifications with just okayish performance in most regards. It's the combination of specs and features, not its optical performance, that will earn this lens its buyers nonetheless, especially since there is currently no alternative that offers a similarly attractive package.

You and Klaus seem to disagree on that point. ;)
[/quote]

Hmmm... yourself. Since you're into quoting reviews without any own experience of the lens:

Mansurovs.com says:

"I am very impressed by how well the Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR performs. It is a sharp lens that is very comparable to professional lenses such as Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G and Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, yielding great results throughout its focal range. During my lab and field tests, my goal was to see how well it performs against the Nikon 24-70mm lens, since many readers have been asking about it (I also wanted to find out for myself, whether I should be looking at potentially replacing my 24-70mm or adding it to my bag for travel and everyday use). After shooting with this lens for about 3 weeks and capturing over 1,800 images, I can say that the lens exceeds my expectations and I found it to be more useful than my favorite Nikon 24-70mm lens not only due to longer focal range, but also due to Vibration Reduction that is extremely useful for low-light situations. I managed to get sharp images hand-held while shooting at extremely slow shutter speeds of 1/2 seconds at 24mm – try that with the Nikon 24-70mm!"

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
iaind said:
tron said:
zim said:
chasn said:

Hi Chasn

Regards
hello,

Was it A J J________
in Hope St

That's actually what I was wondering too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.