American Southwest, Part 2 - Desert Landscapes

Enjoyed it, as I do all your blog posts. Although I live in Arizona, I am in the southern part so I have only photographed South Rim of Grand Canyon. As you say there are no bridges, so to get to North Rim is another few hours drive around the canyon. You had trouble with road closure as North Rim is only open in summer and according to your report they also close the road at night even then? The advantage to South Rim is road is open 24 hours a day year round.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Ben!

Again some very good pictures with some additional very nice story telling as well.
I love those colorful Grand Canyon pictures. A really good prove that you'll have to camp there to get the right light :)

What time of the year have you been there?
I just wondered as there is so much greening in the valleys.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
...What time of the year have you been there?
I don't know about the rest of the Southwest, but here in southern Arizona we had more rain than usual this summer. This resulted in much more green than most years.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
MrFotoFool said:
Maximilian said:
...What time of the year have you been there?
I don't know about the rest of the Southwest, but here in southern Arizona we had more rain than usual this summer. This resulted in much more green than most years.
Thanks for that explanation. That's one reason for sure.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Hi Ben!

Again some very good pictures with some additional very nice story telling as well.
I love those colorful Grand Canyon pictures. A really good prove that you'll have to camp there to get the right light :)

What time of the year have you been there?

Thank you! Yes, camping is probably the only viable option if you don't want to drive through the night. You have to be there at sunrise and it's quite far away from any town.

I was there mid August.

MrFotoFool said:
Enjoyed it, as I do all your blog posts. Although I live in Arizona, I am in the southern part so I have only photographed South Rim of Grand Canyon. As you say there are no bridges, so to get to North Rim is another few hours drive around the canyon. You had trouble with road closure as North Rim is only open in summer and according to your report they also close the road at night even then? The advantage to South Rim is road is open 24 hours a day year round.

Thanks!
AFAIK they don't usually close the road but there was a fire or something in the area and the rangers had safety concerns, so they closed it that day.

Upvote 0