Announcing The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,727
2,152
Alberta, Canada
Interesting read, also his 5d III vs. D810.

Clear to me that he processed RAW files. With that in mind it seems to me the D5 will likely have more DR than the 1DX II at ISO 100, where I seldom shoot but for higher ISOs I'm optimistic that Canon may come out on top. Definite improvement.

Since I'm not a DR fanatic, I remain optimistic on the 1DX II.

Jack
 

mkabi

EOS RP
Mar 21, 2013
509
2
41
arbitrage said:
I don't think this was shared on here yet. Comparison of 1DX vs 1DXII with high ISO and 3stop shadow lifting. Similar results to the pictures that used to be on DPReview.
I'm not sure if he used RAW files or not as he mentions not being able to use LR or ACR and had to use a beta version of DPP to "process the jpegs". If he was using jpegs then he could have used LR or ACR so maybe he did use RAWs.

Link: http://www.raymondphang.com/blog/2016/canon-1dx-mk2-versus-canon-1dx-dynamic-range-and-high-iso-comparison/

High ISO is a bit better but shadows are dramatically improved.

I don't know much about lifting shadows, but the colors coming out of the 1dx2 vs. 1dx look better to me.
From the link provided, I'm not looking at iso 100, I'm looking at iso 2000 at the pink chair and teddy...
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,727
2,152
Alberta, Canada
Stu_bert said:
second post from Andy Rouse about 1DX II

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1&currentpage=1

Thanks for posting - really getting excited, like this is too much camera for me but I want it and won't be satisfied until I get it! Coming from the 1D IV this will be so sweet.

Jack
 

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,700
1,370
Does the new AF tracking system of the 1dx2 have any benefits when using single point with or without expansion? The iTR seems like the same as the 1dx, only valid when using all points, which I would never do.
 

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
Viggo said:
The iTR seems like the same as the 1dx, only valid when using all points, which I would never do.

Yes the iTR is the broadly the same - only active in multiple AF points enabled.

Canon specifically mentions for the 1DX2 that -

On the EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS iTR AF includes the improved algorithms found on the EOS 7D Mark II that greatly enhance the overall subject tracking performance.

So basically, just like the 7D2.
 

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,700
1,370
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
The iTR seems like the same as the 1dx, only valid when using all points, which I would never do.

Yes the iTR is the broadly the same - only active in multiple AF points enabled.

Canon specifically mentions for the 1DX2 that -

On the EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS iTR AF includes the improved algorithms found on the EOS 7D Mark II that greatly enhance the overall subject tracking performance.

So basically, just like the 7D2.

Thanks! I've sent in my 1dx FOUR times! to fix my highly inconsistent AF, last time they said it would either be fixed or I would get a new camera. They managed to fix it, and I can't see how a camera of any kind could be better. So for my use I have 90-100% hit with anything and the 1dx2 doesn't offer enough to trade. I've said it before, Canon went all
In with the 1dx, and I still think it's the best camera they have ever released. I'll be keeping mine.
 

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
Viggo said:
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
The iTR seems like the same as the 1dx, only valid when using all points, which I would never do.

Yes the iTR is the broadly the same - only active in multiple AF points enabled.

Canon specifically mentions for the 1DX2 that -

On the EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS iTR AF includes the improved algorithms found on the EOS 7D Mark II that greatly enhance the overall subject tracking performance.

So basically, just like the 7D2.

Thanks! I've sent in my 1dx FOUR times! to fix my highly inconsistent AF, last time they said it would either be fixed or I would get a new camera. They managed to fix it, and I can't see how a camera of any kind could be better. So for my use I have 90-100% hit with anything and the 1dx2 doesn't offer enough to trade. I've said it before, Canon went all
In with the 1dx, and I still think it's the best camera they have ever released. I'll be keeping mine.

Andy Rouse seems to think that the tracking of the 1DX2 is way better than 1DX. His mentions in his blog that his hit rate with otters increased from around 15-20% to 75% plus. You can read it here - http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1

Rudy Winston also says "officially" that the AF sensor is new and provides for better tracking. http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos1dx_markii_gallery.shtml

I may well have kept the 1dx mark 1 if I had it ... but I don't so I'm getting the 1dx2 - preordered!
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
J.R. said:
Rudy Winston also says "officially" that the AF sensor is new and provides for better tracking. http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos1dx_markii_gallery.shtml

I have to wonder how much of the better tracking is due to the sensor changes as opposed to software.
 

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
3kramd5 said:
J.R. said:
Rudy Winston also says "officially" that the AF sensor is new and provides for better tracking. http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos1dx_markii_gallery.shtml

I have to wonder how much of the better tracking is due to the sensor changes as opposed to software.

So do I. Going by the initial impressions of the beta testers, I expect it to be excellent.
 

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,700
1,370
I read Andy's review of the 1dx and others when it was new, and they said the same thing then, lol. How many times can you increase the hit rate to 95-100%?

Canon also say in their white paper why the old one didn't work and why this new one is superior, I'm not buying it anymore.

Others may have different needs, but in cave light situations and my kids bouncing off the walls, I still manage to have everything in focus with correct exposure using off center points, all I need. And the 1dx beat the 1d4 in this regard big time, so much so that it's not a point for me to upgrade when there is a big difference in price.
 

fentiger

EOS 90D
Dec 26, 2015
187
87
England
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2
 

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,700
1,370
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Agree 100% with you, and my god you're in for a treat coming from the 1d4! The price of a new 1dx here today is the exact same amount I paid four years ago.
 

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
Viggo said:
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Agree 100% with you, and my god you're in for a treat coming from the 1d4! The price of a new 1dx here today is the exact same amount I paid four years ago.

It's really strange that in some countries the prices of Canon cameras don't change at all. Where I live, both the 1DX as well as the 1DX2 are at the same price, and that's the price of a 1DX which was fixed 4 years back. I mean ... WTF!
 

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,700
1,370
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Agree 100% with you, and my god you're in for a treat coming from the 1d4! The price of a new 1dx here today is the exact same amount I paid four years ago.

It's really strange that in some countries the prices of Canon cameras don't change at all. Where I live, both the 1DX as well as the 1DX2 are at the same price, and that's the price of a 1DX which was fixed 4 years back. I mean ... WTF!

I like that, means it's no point to eat for a drop, you can buy right at release. And here, a used Nikon D4 is HALF that of the 1dx, and in some cases quite a bit below that as well. :D
 

Ph0t0

EOS M50
Mar 27, 2015
48
25
Viggo said:
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Agree 100% with you, and my god you're in for a treat coming from the 1d4! The price of a new 1dx here today is the exact same amount I paid four years ago.

It's really strange that in some countries the prices of Canon cameras don't change at all. Where I live, both the 1DX as well as the 1DX2 are at the same price, and that's the price of a 1DX which was fixed 4 years back. I mean ... WTF!

I like that, means it's no point to eat for a drop, you can buy right at release. And here, a used Nikon D4 is HALF that of the 1dx, and in some cases quite a bit below that as well. :D

Sure, where I live the 1DX is still selling for 6.290€ (6.930$) you've gotta love that ;D
 

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
Viggo said:
J.R. said:
Viggo said:
fentiger said:
well for those of us who have the mkiv, me included, the 1dx2 is going to be a very big upgrade. here in the uk the 1DX has not dropped in price (yet) i shall be trading my mk4 for the DX2

Agree 100% with you, and my god you're in for a treat coming from the 1d4! The price of a new 1dx here today is the exact same amount I paid four years ago.

It's really strange that in some countries the prices of Canon cameras don't change at all. Where I live, both the 1DX as well as the 1DX2 are at the same price, and that's the price of a 1DX which was fixed 4 years back. I mean ... WTF!

I like that, means it's no point to eat for a drop, you can buy right at release. And here, a used Nikon D4 is HALF that of the 1dx, and in some cases quite a bit below that as well. :D

Aye, that's the reason I'm getting the 1DX2 at launch.
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,727
2,152
Alberta, Canada
Viggo said:
I read Andy's review of the 1dx and others when it was new, and they said the same thing then, lol. How many times can you increase the hit rate to 95-100%?

Canon also say in their white paper why the old one didn't work and why this new one is superior, I'm not buying it anymore.

Others may have different needs, but in cave light situations and my kids bouncing off the walls, I still manage to have everything in focus with correct exposure using off center points, all I need. And the 1dx beat the 1d4 in this regard big time, so much so that it's not a point for me to upgrade when there is a big difference in price.

Talking about a predecessor it is possible to improve. Of course the numbers being used are exaggerated, perhaps each new model might exceed the last by maybe 10-20%. How often haven't I said "oh this is 10 times better"! Just a figure of speech ;) A pinch of salt is needed.

Some of the enthusiastic exaggeration derives from the apparently remarkable DPAF and video I think.

Jack
 
<-- start Taboola -->