Annoying Advertising!

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is the number one site I visit on the web. I love it here. I'd gladly pay $5-$10 into a tip jar each month even to make up for my turning off the ads (I get none). Unfortunately, there are people who complain about paying $12.99 for Adobe too. Seriously, since July 17, 2019 I spent over $12,000 at Adorama switching over to R and buying flash, etc.. I never found anything that said, "Please order through this link to help keep the site going." I know there is a buyer's guide, but it doesn't mention it either and I honestly never clicked on it before yesterday. Nothing steers me in that direction. I guess I am just daft and stupid.
You are not daft, and your heart is as usual in the right place. I remembered when it was announced that Adorama was going to be the sole sponsor of the site and your post prompted me to hunt for the link. It should be advertised better

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You are not daft, and your heart is as usual in the right place. I remembered when it was announced that Adorama was going to be the sole sponsor of the site and your post prompted me to hunt for the link. It should be advertised better
I just hate the site didn't get a cut. It should have. I make all my buying decisions through here and get fantastic advice and knowledge. This is a great website.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a tough time posting due to the adds changing and shifting the screen. It might be my browser, but what I'm typing just disappeared, pushed down by a advertisement. I have to scroll down to see it and post. I know that Craig said he did not like the begging for funds, but perhaps he could setup a premium membership that turned off ads.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I have a tough time posting due to the adds changing and shifting the screen. It might be my browser, but what I'm typing just disappeared, pushed down by a advertisement. I have to scroll down to see it and post. I know that Craig said he did not like the begging for funds, but perhaps he could setup a premium membership that turned off ads.
Just install ad blocker / ad guard. A Free app that is available for your laptop or phone. Ads all gone in a second.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Just install ad blocker / ad guard. A Free app that is available for your laptop or phone. Ads all gone in a second.
I had adblock plus, but it did not help. I installed ad block earlier tonight, it seems to do the trick. I prefer not to block ads, that is how the site is paid for.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I had adblock plus, but it did not help. I installed ad block earlier tonight, it seems to do the trick. I prefer not to block ads, that is how the site is paid for.
Sure. As a forum regular, your contribution far outweighs the potential “monetary loss” to this resource through a few blocked ads pestering and lurking around here. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sure. As a forum regular, your contribution far outweighs the potential “monetary loss” to this resource through a few blocked ads pestering and lurking around here. ;)
Whenever buying a item that Craig links to, I make it a point to use the link so he gets credit. However, if I can save a bunch elsewhere, I go there. For big ticket purchases, B&H and their Payboo card which pays my 9.7% sales tax often comes out to be a good deal.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Advertisers need to learn that the more obnoxious they get, the more we will tune them out. Simply continuing to dial things up with all the crap they have pulled on the internet is actually counterproductive.

I'd say the ability to block ads is a good thing on the whole.

I used to go to a (completely unrelated to photography) site that had the most obnoxious, click-baity ads. Every once in a while the site owner would run a "housekeeping" post where people were free to bitch about the way the site was run (normally forbidden), he'd get a dump-truck-sized earful about the ads, act all genuinely surprised they were that bad, swear to fix it...and nothing would happen. (There were autoplays that would start when the page loaded; start again when you replied to a comment, start again when you went to the next page, start again when you commented...and there were ads (fortunately not autoplaying videos) that verged on X rated, too, in re: enhancements to certain parts of the male anatomy.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Legitimate ads are one thing, but ones promoting scams are another, and there's a few of those popping up when I access CR on iPad - which is most of my access time in my case.

How about the ones prompting you to wish Happy Birthday to Trump. Those were the ones that really :mad: me... if there was another one asking if I wanted to wish him something else i would have been a little happier about all these BS ads.

Upvote 0