Another video demonstrating the R5 bad weather capability

Jan 29, 2011
So in a thread a few weeks ago I posted a video from Morten Hilmer via YouTube. I pointed out he wasn't a camera tester by any means and he didn't want his channel to go that direction, he is 100% about wildlife photography, videography and audio. But he was recently shooting on a trip with a friend who had an R5 and and was impressed by the side to side performance vs his Nikon Z7, he has been a long time Nikon user but for him the gear is a means to an end.

Anyway he was impressed enough with his friends results that he is borrowing an R5 setup complete with a 200-400 f4 and the last video I posted included a few of his thoughts at the end. Well he has just posted again and it really shows again how robust the R5 is and at the end of the video he gives some tips on how he cares for his gear after getting it in situations many of us never would!

Anyway, here is the video, hope some of you enjoy it!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Guess overheating of the R5 is not an issue in that cold ;). Seriously, just another example of how well this camera is constructed. And his work is very nice, indeed.

Coldest I've ever done images was -30C (night time aurora shots). The equipment stayed out in the cold. When the time came to pack up and leave, it was all wrapped in plastic bags and placed in the car trunk (not as warm as the passenger compartment), then, upon arrival at our room, was kept in the plastic in the entryway over night. Next day temperatures were above freezing so no issues with condensation and freezing. Guess we were lucky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
So in a thread a few weeks ago I posted a video from Morten Hilmer via YouTube. I pointed out he wasn't a camera tester by any means and he didn't want his channel to go that direction, he is 100% about wildlife photography, videography and audio. But he was recently shooting on a trip with a friend who had an R5 and and was impressed by the side to side performance vs his Nikon Z7, he has been a long time Nikon user but for him the gear is a means to an end.

Anyway he was impressed enough with his friends results that he is borrowing an R5 setup complete with a 200-400 f4 and the last video I posted included a few of his thoughts at the end. Well he has just posted again and it really shows again how robust the R5 is and at the end of the video he gives some tips on how he cares for his gear after getting it in situations many of us never would!

Anyway, here is the video, hope some of you enjoy it!
I read the title of this thread as saying the weather capability of the R5 is bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I read the title of this thread as saying the weather capability of the R5 is bad.
To be honest I didn’t but I had seen the previous video.
Weather on its own does not necessarily mean poor or bad, it can be sunny ! So stating “the R5 bad weather capability” can only really mean it’s capability in bad weather, unless you define use of the term “weather” on its own as synonymous with ‘bad’ or ‘poor’ or ‘challenging’ etc. However it’s open ended; there’s no saying whether the outcome was good or bad in the title.

Apologies but we’re in lockdown and I’m bored.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hmm, I’d have thought it would have read ‘bad R5 weather capability’ if the R5 was displaying poor weather sealing, but as the adjective is before the noun weather, not R5, I thought it was correct.

But I agree it is a poorly written sentence maybe ‘Another video demonstrating the R5 performance in inclement weather.’?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hmm, I’d have thought it would have read ‘bad R5 weather capability’ if the R5 was displaying poor weather sealing, but as the adjective is before the noun weather, not R5, I thought it was correct.

But I agree it is a poorly written sentence maybe ‘Another video demonstrating the R5 performance in inclement weather.’?
I don't think the wording matters that much. Those with an R5 know how awesome the weatherizing is. Those who wonder about it can look at the video and then also know how good it is.

Anyway, it was an informative video regarding condensation with cold outdoors & warm indoors and how to best handle it. I learned a bit which I'll use going forwards. So thanks for the post. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I liked his hospital project. Must be a special projector to get the surround video.
Cold into hot is disasterous if you need to use your camera.
I never had long term effects on condensation on gear. I've gone with the keep it in the bag routine going from cold to room temperature.
I didn't think it was good for the drone to flying in the snow. I've never flown my mavic in inclement weather as it doesn't look very weather proof.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Perhaps it would have been better to say:

"Another video of the R5's capability in bad weather?"
As the title is right now, it's a neat passive aggressive click bait. Without the ambiguity, I would not have checked the thread and video out to confirm that it was indeed about good capability in bad weather :LOL:

Upvote 0