Any rumors on updates for the MT-24EX twin macro flash unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jauvane

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost, thanks for such a superb resource of information! I am about to fork out some cash to get a MT-24EX twin macro flash unit, but given that it has been a while since it was released I was wondering if anyone heard anything about some newer release? Its documentation still talks about the 550EX...

Cheers,

JVc

Jul 21, 2010
It's a specialty flash, I expect there's virtually no pressure for Canon to update this.

What would be nice? A major revamp to an -RT system with wireless flash heads (larger to accomodate batteries, probably meaning a more robust mounting bracket), along with the new locking foot design, silent recycle, etc. but realistically, this has got to be near the bottom on Canon's priority list.

I'd say just get it now.

With which lens(es) do you plan on using it?

Upvote 0
J

jauvane

That is to be used with an MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro Lens, as well as an EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. The first without a macro flash is quite a pain to use outside of a studio environment. The flash was kind of designed to be used with that lens.

Given the specialty of the flash unit it is pretty much an manufacturer-upgrads-when-they-feel-like-it device, specially. I guess I will just take advantage of the small discount available now :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, the twin flash is pretty much a necessity with the MP-E 65mm. I use it mostly with that, occasionally with the 100L Macro. For the latter, you'll need the Macrolite Adapter 67C. The MT-24EX clips directly onto the MP-E 65mm. Note that a filter on the front of the lens prevents mounting the twin lite. Personally, I use filters in all my lenses, but one is very useful on the MP-E 65mm - the working distance is so short I'm always pushing the front of the lens against a bush, etc. If you want to use a filter with the MP-E 65mm and mount the MT-24EX, get the Macrolite Adapter 58C and mount that in front of the filter.

+1 on the StoFens, I have them.

Been thinking about the RRS brackets - very nice, although the setup costs more than the MT-24EX itself!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jauvane said:
The flashclipson the MPE-65, but a filter can be attached to a thread that the flashunit itself has. So, you do need to remove the filter in order to attah the flash, but the fulter may be attahed to the flash itself, with no need to extra adapters.

True - but the proximity of the flash heads and the extra distance between the filter and the front element combine to increase flare, reducing contrast and perceived sharpness in the image. That was my experience, at any rate.

Upvote 0
J

jauvane

Reading my own post I can see that typing quickly in the ipad is far from ideal. Instead of a protective UV filters, some just use the lens hood for protection of the the MP-E65. At maximum magnification the focus distance (1.98cm) may indeed get one struggling with any glass element ahead of the lens, but the lens hood does seem to be usable still. I posted my order, now it is a matter of awaiting delivery and getting some tests done with the whole package.

Thanks everyone for the input. I would just hate to order the unit just to read about a new release. The MT-24EX is quite a match for the MP-E65, but things can always improve. :)

Cheers,

JVc.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
I don't see an option to start a new thread, so I'm gonna necro this one. Any rumors on an update to the MT-24EX? I think it's the only Cannon flash unit that has not been upgraded, and I'd like to get an updated version before next spring so I have time to work up a set of diffusers for it. Here's a sample shot of what I'm getting out of the current model. Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 25mm of extension (1.7x) + a diffused MT-24EX (flash head "A" set as the key and "B" as the fill, both on the Canon flash mount). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Finger Fed Bumblebee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015
chrysoberyl said:
Thanks for necro-ing, and nice shot! What do you use for diffusing?

At the end of this video I show them. Gonna build a new set this weekend that will be a little less bulky.

chrysoberyl said:
I made a fairly cheap rig using two diffused LED's attached to an aftermarket hood, for my Canon 100mm L Macro. I am happy with that rig, but am considering an update to the MT-24EX.

The problem with LEDs, even if it sends out a pulse of light and isn't continuous, is that the duration of the light will not be short enough to freeze motion. Motion is actually one of the biggest problems when shooting macro since even the slightest movement can amplify diffraction and make an image look soft. Diffraction by itself isn't too big of a concern unless you're shooting above 4x.

Upvote 0
Dalantech said:
neuroanatomist said:
Dalantech's DIY diffusers are legendary. ;D Just type dalantech and the 2nd google autofill will answer your question (at least the English version of Google - not so for Google in Deutschland).

Thanks for the props!

Hi Dalantech!

I use the MR-14EX and I'm wondering, you have any suggestions on how to diffuse this unit please?

Thank you :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:

Dalantech's DIY diffusers are legendary. ;D Just type dalantech and the 2nd google autofill will answer your question (at least the English version of Google - not so for Google in Deutschland).

Thank you! And his macros...oh, my!

Upvote 0
Dalantech said:
chrysoberyl said:

At the end of this video I show them. Gonna build a new set this weekend that will be a little less bulky.

chrysoberyl said:
I made a fairly cheap rig using two diffused LED's attached to an aftermarket hood, for my Canon 100mm L Macro. I am happy with that rig, but am considering an update to the MT-24EX.

The problem with LEDs, even if it sends out a pulse of light and isn't continuous, is that the duration of the light will not be short enough to freeze motion. Motion is actually one of the biggest problems when shooting macro since even the slightest movement can amplify diffraction and make an image look soft. Diffraction by itself isn't too big of a concern unless you're shooting above 4x.

Noted regarding LED's. And I will enjoy absorbing your tutorials. Do you prefer FF or crop?

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
I use the MPE65 and MT24 a lot [I burnt out one flash tube]. No filter here, although on every other lens I use, I have a protection filter (except for the F-Distagon 16 mm). I do use the MPE 65 hood, both as protection, and to cut down on stray light to increase micro contrast.

On the MT24 I use the garry fong puffers. Drilled a couple of holes and a slit leading to each on each side, and run a rubber band through the holes, so I can move them easily as necessary. The biggest problem is that the rubber bands deteriorate rather quickly, so have to replace them every 6 months. Have to try the stofens.

For >2:1, which I shoot quite frequently, the flash heads are illuminating the background, but not the subject. I use two Wimberley plamps with flash mounts screwed and epoxy glued to one of the ball joints. I looket at the RRS rig. Love RRS for all sorts of things, but the macro flash rigs are too much, IMHO. The Plamps work perfectly fine. The plamps can either be attached to tripod legs, or the foot of the MPE65. The flash heads are then placed right adjacent to the front of the lens.

This becomes even more important with z-stacking. You have to ensure that the light source remains static. If you mount the flash on the lens, it moves and changes illumination angle and shadows. With z-stacking, constant illumination is critical, so you rather use it in manual mode than ETTL. At f/2.8 with >3:1x, even at smallest power setting (either 1/64 or 1/128, don't remember), placing the flash heads right over the subject can emit too much light. Then you have to move the heads away a bit, but the low power setting will still ensure short exposure time (completely agree with Dalantech's tutorial).

I also often do bounce flash, so turn the flash heads away from the subject, and bounce it off white cardboard, or a white porcelain cereal bowl. That is particularly helpful with plant portraits, where you have many crisscrossing elements, or deeply nestled flowers.

Different lighting can get different information. More directional light will give you more local detail (surface sculpture), which can get obliterated with fully diffused lighting. Lighting needs to be matched to what you want to show. There certainly is plain old bad lighting, but there are multiple equally valid good lighting options.

I agree with Dalantech, that the best flash lighting should NOT look like flashed.

I published an article on macro flower photography, which explains and illustrates the above. If anybody is interested, PM me and I will send you the link.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
neuroanatomist said:

Thanks for the props!

Hi Dalantech!

I use the MR-14EX and I'm wondering, you have any suggestions on how to diffuse this unit please?

Thank you :)

Back when I had one I played with mounting it at different angles and couldn't get E-TTL metering to work reliably unless it was mounted right at the end of the lens. Ring flashes have two distinct problems: The flash heads are too parallel to the lens, and the flash heads / built in diffusers are too small. Unfortunately the only fix that I know of to both of those issues is to use a different flash :(

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015
chrysoberyl said:
Noted regarding LED's. And I will enjoy absorbing your tutorials. Do you prefer FF or crop?

Currently shooting with the 70D because I like the "hardware crop" built into APS-C cameras. But as the mega pixel count gets higher at some point I'm going to shoot full frame and then crop down to a 1.6x factor for prints. Also hoping that the crop modes currently built into the 5Ds and 5Dsr make their way into something affordable for a hobbyist like myself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.