Anyone in the US buy a RF 70-200 2.8 IS recently?

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I bought a RF 70-200 2.8 IS a few weeks ago, and have had some strange, intermittent AF issues. It's not at MFD and I did update the firmware to the latest, but I still need to test more to confirm if it's the lens, the R5, or the operator.

My question for now is if anyone who has bought the lens in the past few months could share the first two digits of your RF 70-200 serial (you can also PM me)? I purchased mine from a very large retailer, who I thought would sell through their inventory and re-stock fairly often, but my serial indicates that the lens was produced about 9 months ago. That makes me wonder if it was a faulty return that accidentally slipped back into circulation, or if it really has been just sitting in the warehouse for over half a year.

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I thought Canon stopped dates in there serial numbers. My RF 35 does not have a S/N on it so I don't know what they are doing for RF lens serial numbers.

The ones on the RF 70-200 2.8 IS seem pretty accurate. Mine was 83, which (if the old chart is still accurate), would be November 2019. Some other owners have 82 and 83, which would match up with the first couple of batches of the lens in Oct/Nov 2019.

BTW, I just ended up returning mine for an exchange, since at the very least, it came with a small piece of debris (or imperfection) on the first element under the front element. Seemed too large for dust and had a little bit of a shine to it, so I sent it back while I still could. Hopefully the replacement lens works better for me.

Upvote 0
The ones on the RF 70-200 2.8 IS seem pretty accurate. Mine was 83, which (if the old chart is still accurate), would be November 2019. Some other owners have 82 and 83, which would match up with the first couple of batches of the lens in Oct/Nov 2019.

BTW, I just ended up returning mine for an exchange, since at the very least, it came with a small piece of debris (or imperfection) on the first element under the front element. Seemed too large for dust and had a little bit of a shine to it, so I sent it back while I still could. Hopefully the replacement lens works better for me.
Good luck with the new lens. What mode did you have the AF in with your lrevious copy?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I thought Canon stopped dates in there serial numbers. My RF 35 does not have a S/N on it so I don't know what they are doing for RF lens serial numbers.
The serial number on my copy is on the bottom of the lens when mounted, between the information panel and the focus ring.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I see, have you had any issues with other lenses using the same AF mode? Hopefully it is just the lens and not the camera!
The 70-200 is my only lens for the R5 at the moment, which has made it hard to determine what the fault is. I will hopefully get the RF 100-500 next week, and the 15-35 2.8 comes after that. I used to shoot the same AF mode for many years with the 1D3/1D4 and 5D3/5D4, but I may need to adjust things to account for the cross type AF points versus phase detection.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Curious about the exact type of AF issue you were having with the first copy?
I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the possible issue (basically missing focus occasionally on simple scenes with lots of contrast) since I didn't fully test...it can be anything at this point, but I'm leaning toward my theory above. I mainly wanted to ask about the production dates on the lens, because the irregularities (a pretty old production date from a store that turns over stock often, plus the debris or other anomaly inside the lens).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0