Anything shot with a 5D4

Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Jack Douglas said:
Grant considering cropping and ISO that is excellent. I appreciate the shooting info, thanks.

Wondering if you considered adding the X1.4 rather than cropping and what you thoughts would be in that case? I presume you were at the point where you felt you had to have F4.

Jack
Hi Jack, I was impressed by the image quality, specially how low the background noise levels are. As you suspect, the light was so low that adding the 1.4x would have meant that my shutter speed dropped even lower, and I doubt I would have gotten anything sharp if that was the case.
If there had been more time available a few metres closer would have been the best as that would have blurred the background a bit more...but the cat only paused for a short while :)
cheers
Grant

Grant if you can spare a minute, I have a question. I was watching your excellent videos on the 7D2 AF setup and noted that you don't use the traditional BB focus via AF-ON etc.

One thing that got me into BB focus was the reality that the camera goes to sleep and it takes the shutter to wake it up and thus a refocus would occur, often when I already had a desired pre-focus distance set - then I'd have to redo that. This was most annoying if in a blind and pre-focused to a particular location that wasn't always an actual object (i.e. a flight path).

Any thoughts on this?

Jack

I find the occasions I don't want AF are rarer, by a lot, than when I do want AF, so for me BBF makes no ergonomic sense, but I do like having the ability to separate shutter and AF. Because of this I find programming the AF-ON button to be AF off is much more intuitive, it is also easier n the thumb and leaves the thumb free for EV comp.

This arrangement would work in your hide, if the camera has gone to sleep (I set my cameras to not do that) then press the AF-ON button first then the shutter button and you are good. I find having less to di in the heat of a moment is better for me, when I try BBF I regularly fire away whilst either forgetting to press the AF-On button or not pressing it hard enough.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Scott, I think I didn't realize the AF-ON button would wake up the camera but if it wakes up and does AF then I'm not happy because it'll have focused on who knows what. So, for me, whatever I end up sticking with it must be possible to fiddle with the camera such as viewing shots or whatever, without first triggering AF.

Personally, for whatever reason I never forget to press AF-ON when I take a shot and I do like having the shutter remain trigger active after a servo AF, behaving similar to one-shot (I now understand it's not actually one-shot as far as EV rating goes).

Bottom line is I'm still struggling to find my comfort zone with all these options and all advice is being carefully considered! I'm still getting moments of confusion;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Scott, I think I didn't realize the AF-ON button would wake up the camera but if it wakes up and does AF then I'm not happy because it'll have focused on who knows what. So, for me, whatever I end up sticking with it must be possible to fiddle with the camera such as viewing shots or whatever, without first triggering AF.

Personally, for whatever reason I never forget to press AF-ON when I take a shot and I do like having the shutter remain trigger active after a servo AF, behaving similar to one-shot (I now understand it's not actually one-shot as far as EV rating goes).

Bottom line is I'm still struggling to find my comfort zone with all these options and all advice is being carefully considered! I'm still getting moments of confusion;)

Jack

I can't think of a situation where the camera went sleep (1 minute for me I think), and that the camera and subject didn't move enough to make new AF. Only thing I can think is like some food photos where you set up all for a while and then take the shot. But those scenes usually who cares if you spend even next 1 minute getting the focus, it's not like the food will run away.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
tpatana said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

I can't think of a situation where the camera went sleep (1 minute for me I think), and that the camera and subject didn't move enough to make new AF. Only thing I can think is like some food photos where you set up all for a while and then take the shot. But those scenes usually who cares if you spend even next 1 minute getting the focus, it's not like the food will run away.

Jack is talking about situations in which he has prefocussed, so he wants to avoid the AF changing his focus point just because he wakes up the camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
jd7 said:
tpatana said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack is talking about situations in which he has prefocussed, so he wants to avoid the AF changing his focus point just because he wakes up the camera.

Yes, but I'm trying think of a situation where AF was done minute ago, and I'm still 100% sure it's correct so I don't need to AF again. Maybe shooting paint drying...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tpatana said:
jd7 said:
tpatana said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Yes, but I'm trying think of a situation where AF was done minute ago, and I'm still 100% sure it's correct so I don't need to AF again. Maybe shooting paint drying...

In a hide with a perch situation. Mind you in that instance I'd use the knurled lens switch with predetermined focus distance. That is exactly what it is for.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This focus issue is more annoying if you have a long telephoto and extender that is slow AF like the 6D with 300 X2 and you have selected an approximate distance so that the lens doesn't start hunting when a potential subject flies for example.

If I'm waiting and decide to review some shots before the 6D would allow me to access them I'd have to push the shutter and there goes my focus. I can't think of more specific examples right now and yes, you can pre-focus the lens by focusing, pressing the button to lock and then in the spur of the moment you have to grab that ring which is a little awkward unless you already are holding it ready.

I'd rather just not have the button that wakes the camera doing spurious focusing cause it's really annoying to me. ;)

And the 70-200 doesn't have that ring and I was in a blind and I had focus set for a flight path that required pulling a string between trees with a ladder and ....... I didn't want my pre-focus messed up! :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
I'd rather just not have the button that wakes the camera doing spurious focusing cause it's really annoying to me. ;)

And the 70-200 doesn't have that ring and I was in a blind and I had focus set for a flight path that required pulling a string between trees with a ladder and ....... I didn't want my pre-focus messed up! :)

Jack

In that case my AF-ON as an AF off works just as well as BBF with shutter button disconnected from AF. In my case wake the camera by pressing the AF-ON button, in traditional BBF wake the camera with the shutter button, both wake the camera but don't initiate AF.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Well Scott, isn't it nice that there are so many ways to skin a cat. I'm new to many of the options so I'd like to hear the experts debate these things and I won't put my foot in my mouth.

Jack

Hey Jack,

Yes there are so many ways to achieve the same result it has all gone a bit crazy. I remember back when I got my A-1, the amount of knobs and buttons seemed overwhelming and totally unnecessary to control just three facets of exposure, yet look at us now!

It certainly takes time to settle into setting the customisation exactly as it works best for you. Best recommendation is to keep an open mind and don't sweat the 'missed' shots while you sort it out. Second best recommendation, just because you like somebodies images doesn't mean you can use their camera settings to get the same result.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yes Scott an open mind is what is required, not being an old dog. I still feel like my head is swimming and I haven't even tackled any C1 ...C3 settings - don't even know how to at the moment! :(

I put the manual by my bed and found that late at night I couldn't even read it so I've started printing an 8X11 version. Sure glad I didn't wait to buy a few weeks before setting out camping in the spring.

Did I say how I'm loving the 400 X2 ;D I know, I've repeated that at least a dozen times. The AF is snappy to say the least.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Jack Douglas said:
Grant considering cropping and ISO that is excellent. I appreciate the shooting info, thanks.

Wondering if you considered adding the X1.4 rather than cropping and what you thoughts would be in that case? I presume you were at the point where you felt you had to have F4.

Jack
Hi Jack, I was impressed by the image quality, specially how low the background noise levels are. As you suspect, the light was so low that adding the 1.4x would have meant that my shutter speed dropped even lower, and I doubt I would have gotten anything sharp if that was the case.
If there had been more time available a few metres closer would have been the best as that would have blurred the background a bit more...but the cat only paused for a short while :)
cheers
Grant

Grant if you can spare a minute, I have a question. I was watching your excellent videos on the 7D2 AF setup and noted that you don't use the traditional BB focus via AF-ON etc.

One thing that got me into BB focus was the reality that the camera goes to sleep and it takes the shutter to wake it up and thus a refocus would occur, often when I already had a desired pre-focus distance set - then I'd have to redo that. This was most annoying if in a blind and pre-focused to a particular location that wasn't always an actual object (i.e. a flight path).

Any thoughts on this?

Jack
Hi Jack, sorry i only saw this question today. Apologies for a late response. I think from a hide situation, where you are prefocused on a perch- that BB focus is perhaps the best option. I do switch my camera over to BB focus when i am in such situations. But most of my shooting is done in more fluid shooting situations, and involves quite a lot of handholding big lenses, and for my sized hands and frame, I find focusing on the front shutter button easier to manage, along with moving the focus point via the rear multicontroller as i need to. With reference to one part of your question, you can extend the time that it takes for the camera to go to sleep easily enough, by changing it in the Yellow Set Up menu, under "Auto Power Off". You can take it all the way to 30 mins or disable the sleep entirely.
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Grant Atkinson said:
Jack Douglas said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack
cheers
Grant

Any thoughts on this?

Jack
Hi Jack, sorry i only saw this question today. Apologies for a late response. I think from a hide situation, where you are prefocused on a perch- that BB focus is perhaps the best option. I do switch my camera over to BB focus when i am in such situations. But most of my shooting is done in more fluid shooting situations, and involves quite a lot of handholding big lenses, and for my sized hands and frame, I find focusing on the front shutter button easier to manage, along with moving the focus point via the rear multicontroller as i need to. With reference to one part of your question, you can extend the time that it takes for the camera to go to sleep easily enough, by changing it in the Yellow Set Up menu, under "Auto Power Off". You can take it all the way to 30 mins or disable the sleep entirely.
Cheers
Grant

Thanks Grant,

Many things are personal preference in life. I also find the shutter button a bit easier but have adapted well to BB focus. I'm just beginning to find my way around the 1DX2, not having had a 1DX and having only used a 1D4 for a few months. It's staggering.

From yesterday I discovered that you can have all three (and I guess more even) set to activate focus and the BB's take priority over the shutter (half pressed). I see this as fantastic since I'm very agile with the three and one of my choices will be all points on the shutter, with spot and zone on AF-ON and *. The front buttons assist with AF point movement along with the joystick. This is fantastic.

Jack

Upvote 0
It has been quiet around the 5DIV. I have had it for a while, but not much time to shoot lately. However, I went on a business trip to the Far East and got to spend the weekend in Siem Reap in Cambodia, close to Angkor Wat. I brought the 5DIV with me and I was very impressed.

This image is from the meat market. Apart from securing your weight loss program, both due to looks and smell (about 35C/95F in there ...), I think this image shows some of the qualities of the camera.

This was shot with the 24-70 f2.8L II @24mm, at 1/80s, f/6.3 and ISO12.800. The image is unedited (no NR), just converted to .jpg, with default LR settings. I am impressed!

Attachments

• _C0A4841-2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
5DIV, 100-400 mkII on a tripod.

I'm still hanging onto my 6D as I love it for night sky and like two bodies for night shooting, one for time lapse and one to run around with.
The 5DIV has been to Zion, the Upper Peninsula in winter and Yellowstone in winter. So far I'm very impressed with the 5DIV.

The winds were gusting to 50 mph. My right eye was frozen shut, I had snot frozen on the left side of my face, my fingers were fast becoming useless.
This is a 50 foot tall lighthouse, makes me wonder how big the wave was.
Muskegon south light on Lake Michigan about 20 min before sunset.

Attachments

• Lighthouse.jpeg
    Lighthouse.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0