Are new dream lenses coming for the RF mount? [CR1]

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Thanks for this article as well as the link to the lensrental article--very nice.

In my house, the Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens was, for years, attached to one of three different Canon crop bodies--I've owned that lens for about 15 years, I think...it was a worthwhile purchase.

For the past few years I haven't used it all that much.

The lens I'm proposing will never be sold, I'm sure (at least by Canon): an EF-M version of the same lens!

In other words, an EF-M 17-55 f2.8 IS lens is on my list.:(

Those still reading this likely already know that all of Canon's EF-M lens have the same width: 60.9 mm

Does a 61mm restriction on lens width preclude an f2.8 EF-M 'standard' zoom?

Would a 61mm-wide EF-M 2.8 17-55 IS...its (minimum) length would be what? Much longer than the EF-S version?

=====

The lensrental article catalyzed a few questions:

Is it true that the only existing third-party EF-M zoom lens is manufactured by Tamron?

Is there a reason for that? Why are virtually all of the non-Canon EF-M lenses 'prime' lenses?

Do third-party companies seek Canon's 'approval' when they build and sell a Canon-compatible lens?

=====

...some quick 'research': it appears that the two Tamron 18-200 lenses (EF-S and EF-M mounts) have approximately the same dimensions but the EF-M version is a bit heavier?

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
My dream lens is a 28-70 F2... oh wait...

Actually, as a video shooter, I just want all the L series primes to have IS and be 1.4. I really liked that Canon released an EF L 85mm 1.4 IS, and I'd love to see something similar in the RF L lenses for 24, 35, 50 and 85. But I have a feeling they're going to prioritize speed over optical stabilization, which is something most people prefer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I’m going to submit a rumor about a 24-200mm f/2 Uber DO nano materials lens that is the size and weight of a 24-105/4. I think that’s actually a lens designed by HarryFilm, but still, if this post gets enough likes I bet Canon will leverage Harry’s free public GNU license and produce it. If they don’t, Sony will and I’ll switch.
You've named the name that musn't be named! I hear him approaching.

Upvote 0
FUJIFILM was originally slated to produce a 33mm F1 prime for their X-Series. The project was cancelled and revived more than once before they ultimately decided it would be too big and expensive to be practical. They pivoted to a 50mm F1 and later produced a 33mm F1.4. Both turned out to be good and successful products.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
FUJIFILM was originally slated to produce a 33mm F1 prime for their X-Series. The project was cancelled and revived more than once before they ultimately decided it would be too big and expensive to be practical. They pivoted to a 50mm F1 and later produced a 33mm F1.4. Both turned out to be good and successful products.
I think AF-ing such narrow dof is a big challange… Laowa 33mm f0.95 is relatively small…

perhaps canon has better AF muscles.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
From Canon nothing more needed in my case. Just maybe replace all current EF lenses without big redesign and with a similar price point. No they shouldn't replace 135 f2 L with an 1.8 or 1.4 or whatever for 3 times the price! A similar light RF135 with <1000€ would be awesome. If not, then I stay forever with my EF with adapter until something explodes.

But I would like more third-party lenses like the Sigma Art series for RF, just to get additional choice and maybe a "hint hint" to Canon to lower some prices, because there are competitors...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have long advocated for APS-C "L" glass. I hope they do it. With a few good RF-S L-class primes, and some small APS-C bodies, Canon could compete with Fuji head-on, but with an upgrade path to full frame, which Fuji does not have. I would even be interested in such a camera as a travel/street/second body.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I’ve said it before (many times) and I’ll say it again..

RF 500mm f5.6 DO!!!!!!!!!

(Like Nikons 500mm f5.6 pf)
RF600mm f/6 DO !!! Saying f/6 instead of f/5.6 to cut cost a little and keep the front element to 100mm...

P.S I do have Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF with D500 and D850 (everything else is Canon). It's a very good lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
My dream lenses would be:

UWA: 12mm F1.8 with the size of Sonys 14mm F1.8
—> realistically we might get a 12/ 14mm F2

12-24mm F2 zoom lens.
—> realistically it’ll be 14/16-24mm…

24-135mm F4 or variable aperture F2.8-4

Last but not least:
200-800mm F3.5-6.3
—> realistically a 250-750mm F5-8 (or F11…)

I hope Canon doesn’t fulfill all my dream lenses because I’d have to find a lot of good reasons to justify all purchases.

I’d be in the market for one of those lenses, especially 12mm F1.8…

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Some of the in-the-past-rumored lenses would hit the spot for me:
35mm f/1.2L
135mm f/1.4 or 1.8L
Ultrawide TS
TS lenses with AF

and one of my personal favorites from EF... a new (and I mean new, not the same as the EF with an adapter bolted on) 200mm f/2 or 1.8L IS

Then I'd be able to retire all of my remaining EF lenses, apart maybe from the MP-E 65mm which is a very very niche cute little thing

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0