Bad news: The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM has been pushed into 2023

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It seems that we have been talking about the Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM forever. This lens has been on our pretty accurate RF lens roadmap since the beginning.
We have reported that it would be announced in 2021, and then in 2022, and now we are told that the lens has been pushed back to 2023. We’re not exactly sure why the lens has been pushed back, but I think that we can assume as to why, and we’re tired of typing the reasons!
We have been told that Canon would like to announce it alongside two other RF L prime lenses to round out the lineup. With the Canon RF 135mm  f/1.8L USM expected to be announced, I think it’s likely that we will see an RF 24mm f/1.4L USM, RF 35mm f/1.2L USM and another wide angle L lens announced if things go to plan for Canon.
At least one dealer has confirmed this information to us.

Continue reading...

35mm isn’t my preferred focal length - I like 28mm better. But Canon seems to have no interest in an L 28mm, so I can see myself buying this for the aperture. Especially if it has some of the rendering magic of the RF 50mm 1.2. That’d get my attention.

Any chance of a 1.4 105mm to take on the Sigma? I’d be all over that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not a surprise. These are vanity lenses. I doubt they contribute much to the bottom line. It seems like Canon is concentrating on filling out their range of bodies, while adding mid-range enthusiast and consumer lenses to the lineup. Makes sense. Canon is a business and their decisions are driven by what will increase profits, not what forum geeks want.

Personally, I've already got every lens I'm interested in, except for lenses that Canon will never make or lenses I will never be able to afford.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
It'd be nice to see them filling out the "L" fast-prime lineup, but we do have a pretty doggone good 35/1.8 (and the EF 35/2.0) available in the meantime. Not to mention the EF 35/1.4L.
I'm thinking that there are other, more critical gaps that need filling first. Of course my preferences are at the telephoto end rather than the wide end of the spectrum.
With the popularity of the R7 and R10, there is probably a more pressing need to have another couple of RF-S lenses out there (not that they can't do more than one lens at a time, of course). Canon does have to respond to the market needs first and foremost.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
35mm is about the only focal length (besides 800mm/1200 - never will at this stage) that I've never owned.
For some reason 28mm is focal length I never liked. When I had the 28mm prime it was neither wide enough or long enough.
35mm strikes me as a good focal length.
Howeer Zooms like the 24-70mm are so good I'm not sure I'd ever use a 28mm or 35mm.
I rarely use my 50mm 1.2 even though its an excellent lens.
I'd say Canon knows it doesn't sell that many 35mm lens and its more to cover the whole lens range.
With all the supply chain issues, they've probably prioritised. There are more commerical lens to made

Upvote 0