Battle of the 50mm's (1.2L , ZE 1.4, ZE 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
skitron said:
Luke said:
infared said:
That being said...I do not think that the Sigma is a compromise in any way. I just got a 5DMkIII (but have not used it much yet)...so my references are from the MkII. I have found the Sigma to have good autofocus, great bokeh wide open (a little soft but all of these large aperture lenses are not their sharpest wide open)..and with the aperture closed down a little the lens is AMAZINGLY sharp. Really. Also...I found the Sigma to be less expensive and not as much of a beast to tote around like the Canon 50mm f/1.2, an yet the Sigma "approaches" that lense's bokeh. (I think that the Canon f/1.2 lens may auto-focus more slowly, too, than the Sigma..but I could be wrong on the point..not sure) The Sigma has the best balance of all of these lenses for me. I know that everyone's shooting style and needs are different...so this may not be the prime normal lens for everyone, but I have been very happy with my choice in this area.

I gotta agree.. I picked up the sigma 50 as well... Love it.
It had a slight front focusing issue that I was able to fix with MFA.. I took it in to sigma along with the body, and had them calibrate it.. It reduced the front focus a bit.
I also like the fact that it's a 77mm filter size.

+1

Despite all of the internet chatter about how many problems the Sigma has with AF, mine (recent smooth finish) nails focus with the outer focus points on my 5D2 in moderate light. My 100L misses every single time on the outer points in moderate to good light.

If the Sigma was branded as a Canon and came out as the replacement for the existing Canon 1.4 at this price point, everyone would be high-fiving Canon IMO. Just goes to show a long history of mediocrity on the part of Sigma is very tough to overcome in the marketplace. Especially in the case of this lens where apparently the early ones with the rough finish had some issues. But for me, taking a chance on them worked out nicely.

can you post a link of where to buy this recent siggy with smooth finish?

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
arcanej said:
I've not had any troubles with my 50L. If I remember, I took this at f2

Ah, well, I should have added that the CAs occurred on high contrast black-white borders on f1.4 (but not on f1.2). With contrasts like in your picture, not even a kit lens should produce color edges.
With LR4 CA is a non issue imho.

Upvote 0
zim said:
Great thread, so informative

What's the down side to using the sceen upgrade like a brightscreen with slower glass?

The downside will be that your viewfinder will be darker than you're used to. how much darker would depend on the aperture size. how much darker would an f4 be than a 2.8? 1/2 as dark? i have no idea on that. also, these screens affect the metering, so if you change screens you're out in the wilderness.

Upvote 0
risc32 said:
zim said:
Great thread, so informative

What's the down side to using the sceen upgrade like a brightscreen with slower glass?

The downside will be that your viewfinder will be darker than you're used to. how much darker would depend on the aperture size. how much darker would an f4 be than a 2.8? 1/2 as dark? i have no idea on that. also, these screens affect the metering, so if you change screens you're out in the wilderness.

with the EGS screen f4 lenses become noticably darker making it difficult in low light however the brightscreen is considerbly brighter and I dont find this an issue, I've not tried it with f5.6 lenses but its fine with the 24-105 f4L the 300 f4L IS and my 600 f4.5 FD

Upvote 0

samueljay

5D Mk III
Oct 21, 2011
Just wanted to chirp in again and say that after almost a whole month with my 50mm ƒ/1.2L I absolutely love it, it has barely left my body (only briefly swapped for the 70-200 for sports), it's my favourite lens! Haven't noticed any issues with focus shift or difficulty focusing manually with the 5D, but I'm just a consumer, not a pro or anything :p

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
skitron said:
Luke said:
infared said:
That being said...I do not think that the Sigma is a compromise in any way. I just got a 5DMkIII (but have not used it much yet)...so my references are from the MkII. I have found the Sigma to have good autofocus, great bokeh wide open (a little soft but all of these large aperture lenses are not their sharpest wide open)..and with the aperture closed down a little the lens is AMAZINGLY sharp. Really. Also...I found the Sigma to be less expensive and not as much of a beast to tote around like the Canon 50mm f/1.2, an yet the Sigma "approaches" that lense's bokeh. (I think that the Canon f/1.2 lens may auto-focus more slowly, too, than the Sigma..but I could be wrong on the point..not sure) The Sigma has the best balance of all of these lenses for me. I know that everyone's shooting style and needs are different...so this may not be the prime normal lens for everyone, but I have been very happy with my choice in this area.

I gotta agree.. I picked up the sigma 50 as well... Love it.
It had a slight front focusing issue that I was able to fix with MFA.. I took it in to sigma along with the body, and had them calibrate it.. It reduced the front focus a bit.
I also like the fact that it's a 77mm filter size.

+1

Despite all of the internet chatter about how many problems the Sigma has with AF, mine (recent smooth finish) nails focus with the outer focus points on my 5D2 in moderate light. My 100L misses every single time on the outer points in moderate to good light.

If the Sigma was branded as a Canon and came out as the replacement for the existing Canon 1.4 at this price point, everyone would be high-fiving Canon IMO. Just goes to show a long history of mediocrity on the part of Sigma is very tough to overcome in the marketplace. Especially in the case of this lens where apparently the early ones with the rough finish had some issues. But for me, taking a chance on them worked out nicely.

can you post a link of where to buy this recent siggy with smooth finish?

I bought mine from B&H.

Upvote 0
samueljay said:
Just wanted to chirp in again and say that after almost a whole month with my 50mm ƒ/1.2L I absolutely love it, it has barely left my body (only briefly swapped for the 70-200 for sports), it's my favourite lens! Haven't noticed any issues with focus shift or difficulty focusing manually with the 5D, but I'm just a consumer, not a pro or anything :p
Congrats on your 50L purchase!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.