Best Nikon DF Review! By Fstoppers.

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Albi86 said:
It was quite funny!

But I have to say, I'm surprised that so many people ACTUALLY liked it. It's probably true that a cheaper, D3300-like version would find a good market.

And therein lies the problem for the Df. How many of those that were questioned knew anything about photography? It was all about the look. Even If a few were to dip their toe in the water, it's unlikely they would outlay so much on their first dslr. Would and experienced photog put up with its dumb funtionality (Df)? Having controls showing one value on the analogue dial but a different value on the digital is just stupid. I looked at one the other day and just thought 'what's the point?'. Once you get past the looks it just doesn't make sense.

However, I agree with you that a cheaper entry level version with smarter functionality would find a good market.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Albi86 said:
But I have to say, I'm surprised that so many people ACTUALLY liked it.

Could be editing. Interview 100 people, 90 don't like it, the other 10 make it into the final cut. ;)

There would be no point in doing so in a review meant to ridicule the camera ;)

I still think that Nikon didn't have a bad idea with a retro-looking camera, they just aimed at the wrong market segment.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Fake aperture ring? It think that says it all...
dtaylor said:
When is Canon going to do something innovative like retro fake aperture rings? ;D
Heavyweight67 said:
Fake aperture ring WTF........
Yup, a fake aperture ring sure is offensive, clearly just a styling cue for fake hipsters.

BUT!!
I cannot find any such thing.
I've looked around nikonusa.com , found nothing. Also looked at dpreview.com's review and B&H Photo's review, found more nothing.

In the Df manual, I found this......

df-aperture.jpg

---

On nikonusa.com I found this.......
2214-AFS-NIKKOR-50mm-f1-8G_front.png

---
I don't know anything about this f-stoppers guy, the video above is the first anything I've seen from him.
From the above video, I do allow him no credibility whatsoever.
At least Kai doesn't resort to outright lies when reviewing a product he dislikes.
---
Can anyone find a real photo or video of this alleged, fake aperture ring?
If not, I'm calling "Internet Myth" and f-stoppers guy a liar.

---
Neuro, dtaylor, Heavyweight67, no offense intended to you guys, I was suckered in by the video above, same as you.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Albi86 said:

"I like that one because it looks cool and shiny." Yeah, that sounds real flattering. ::)

Albi86 said:
I still think that Nikon didn't have a bad idea with a retro-looking camera, they just aimed at the wrong market segment.

I agree. It needs to cost $600-700, and have built-in Facebook connectivity and an Instagram filter, it'd be a hit.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Albi86 said:

"I like that one because it looks cool and shiny." Yeah, that sounds real flattering. ::)

Exactly my point...? ???

The whole point of the review is that the Df doesn't appeal people who like cameras but people who are after cool and fashionable things.

Sorry if I'm missing some hidden meaning of this ::) smilie, but it does look sarcastic.

My other comment remarked the fact that pros and enthusiasts don't spend 2800€ on a fashion accessory, and random people looking for a cool camera don't usually have that budget to invest in a camera. If it was much cheaper, like an entry level DSLR, then it would be more in line with the needs/desires of the target market segment.

Upvote 0