Best of Canon 2023: #3 RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM

Jul 21, 2010
I only wish the Wimberley foot had a quick-disconnect like the other two feet. If Wimberley ever updates the foot with the QD system I would definitely upgrade.
I’m glad that RRS did so. The LCF-53 foot I ordered for the 100-300/2.8 was stamped “LCF-53 B” on the bottom and has the QD socket unlike the original version I have on my 600/4 II. I don’t plan to replace that one, since BlackRapid never made a left-handed version of the QD strap so I’ll just keep using the 1” Kirk clamp on the end of the BR lefty strap. I did replace the RRS L84 lens plates on my tripod collars with L85 plates that have the QD socket.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I think the reason for not using a arca swiss style foot comes down to liability. People may claim that it was due to the foot that their new expensive lens fell to the ground. By us changing the foot, or putting a swiss arca plate on the foot, the consumer would be the one that altered the foot and the manufacturer would not be liable. Not as big a deal as some might make you think, as a new replacement foot is not that expensive.
For the past decade I have been either adding acra-swiss feet or acra-swiss plates to lenses and not once have I ever dropped a lens due to failure in the foot or plate. When replacing the foot / plate ensure to use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 424 and periodically check the tightness with an Allen key. Relative to the cost of the lens, the feet / plates are a rounding error in terms of cost.

I also especially like plates that have QD releases which make carrying the lens very simple using a sling.

Upvote 0