Best of Canon 2023: #2 EOS R8 and RF 10-20mm F4L IS STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Please check out our other articles as they come out in this series, and of course the article from yesterday about the #3 on our lists. Craig’s #2: Canon EOS R8 Camera Picking the runner-up was probably the hardest part (really not that hard) of making the list. Part of it was getting over personal

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the R8+28mm with the EL-100 out on the big table in our house to make it effortless to snap candids over the holidays. The HF anti-flicker is great when using ES, the 40fps increases the odds of having a sho where everyone has their eyes open :)

I find it strange that the R8 has such a small online presence, but I suspect that people using the 100-500 would prefer the R7/R6 over the R8. So it could be I’m looking in the wrong places ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I have the R8+28mm with the EL-100 out on the big table in our house to make it effortless to snap candids over the holidays. The HF anti-flicker is great when using ES, the 40fps increases the odds of having a sho where everyone has their eyes open :)

I find it strange that the R8 has such a small online presence, but I suspect that people using the 100-500 would prefer the R7/R6 over the R8. So it could be I’m looking in the wrong places ;)
Personally, I would prefer a larger camera (e.g. R6/R5) with the 100-500 mm lens. However, you can add an extension grip to the R8 which helps.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That’s what I did with the RP+100-500 and now with the R8+100-500, the mini-grip makes a big difference.
The RRS plate adds the same little bit of grip height as the Canon grip extension, and provides the added functionality of tripod mounting and QD strap carrying. The plate is modular, so the upright portion can be removed (I typically do not, as I don’t find it obtrusive).

As with the Canon grip extension, the RRS plate for the RP fits the R8 (which is a good thing since they didn’t make one for the R8). I did need to buy it used, as the RP plates have been discontinued by RRS.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The RRS plate adds the same little bit of grip height as the Canon grip extension, and provides the added functionality of tripod mounting and QD strap carrying. The plate is modular, so the upright portion can be removed (I typically do not, as I don’t find it obtrusive).

As with the Canon grip extension, the RRS plate for the RP fits the R8 (which is a good thing since they didn’t make one for the R8). I did need to buy it used, as the RP plates have been discontinued by RRS.
Thank you for the heads up. Wished that RRS would have kept the RP plate in stock because it does fit the R8 which is currently in production.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you for the heads up. Wished that RRS would have kept the RP plate in stock because it does fit the R8 which is currently in production.
Agreed! When I ordered the R8, no major vendor was still making RP brackets. I found a SmallRig L-plate still in stock at a camera shop in CA and ordered it, but a couple weeks later a used RRS BEOSRP-L showed up at KEH so I got that.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Agreed! When I ordered the R8, no major vendor was still making RP brackets. I found a SmallRig L-plate still in stock at a camera shop in CA and ordered it, but a couple weeks later a used RRS BEOSRP-L showed up at KEH so I got that.
I will keep a look out at KEH and if one pops up I will buy it.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Craig’s #2: Canon EOS R8 Camera Picking the runner-up was probably the hardest part ...
Having decided pro Richard with the #3, this time, I am fully with Craig's decision.
The R8 looks like a mini R6m2 from the spec list. And after getting my R6m2 I was looking for an R8 as second body for a long time.
I was only because of the very slight size advantage that I decided against it and will take my R6m2 for travel as well.
If I start looking for a backup body, this might be different and the R8 will come into the game again ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019

Shoot, I would have given you my RRS plate since I no longer have the RP and am unlikely to have an R8. I also had opted to use the plate in place of the grip extension. If anyone who sees this needs it for their RP or R8, I would be happy give it away if you cover the shipping cost (I’m in the US) so it sees use again.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Shoot, I would have given you my RRS plate since I no longer have the RP and am unlikely to have an R8. I also had opted to use the plate in place of the grip extension. If anyone who sees this needs it for their RP or R8, I would be happy give it away if you cover the shipping cost (I’m in the US) so it sees use again.
Appreciate the offer! I'll see your offer, and raise it by a SmallRig L-plate for the RP that I bought new (a little shop in CA had one in stock, it was also discontinued) before the RRS version came up used on KEH. I'll even pay shipping within in the US to anyone who'll use it. Message me if interested.

Upvote 0