Better to use waterproof P&S camera or waterproof case for s100?

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I will be going to Honolulu, Hawaii in August and may want to do some limited amount of snorkeling.

I currently have a Canon s100.

The waterproof cases are not inexpensive so my question is would I get better pictures using a case with my s100 or spending the money on a P&S camera that is waterproof to 10 meters? Another question is how difficult/easy are the cases to use underwater? I'm a very strong swimmer, but my snorkeling experience is quite limited so much of my focus may be on snorkeling properly.

I also have a 6D and an older T1i, but I think the cases for those would be even more expensive and I may only go snorkeling for a day or two on this trip. For what it is worth, I am not in love with my s100. Waterproof P&S camera recommendations, if any, may be for any brand.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Vivid

i dont know about any of the underwater p&s cameras, but the s100 is capable of shooting RAW i believe, and i that may be very useful for you depending on the shots you capture. i did a dive recently with a crapcam 7000 the dive shop gave me, and doing post processing on the photos is murder, i am sure that RAW files would have been more useful. I know that since you are snorkelling that you wont be at depths i was at but every little bit helps, colours disappear fairly quickly in water. hope that helps.

Upvote 0