Black Foam Core Projects

Mikehit said:
A nice set there, Tony.
Coincidentally I have been photographing against a gloss black base and black board this weekend (for a local club competition) and it has got the creative thoughts going. It can be very effective as you have shown, especially if you can get the reflection right.
It sounds like you have a solid game plan for your upcoming competition. Best of luck to you! Yes, capturing nice reflections can present a bit of a challenge but it's certainly worth the extra effort. Many of my seashells have interesting textures that provide a wonderful playground for the interplay of light and shadow. I light them from an oblique angle to achieve an effect very much like viewing a first or third quarter moon photograph. The seashells appear to emerge from the blackness of outer space!

I love astronomy. Here's an aquarium photo of a jellyfish that I've titled "Inner Space Meets Outer Space." I think it has a real outer space feel about it! The particles floating within the tank appear very much like "stars." Hand-held, no cropping.

Inner Space Meets Outer Space
innerouterspacetonybritton2016-L.jpg

Upvote 0
rpt said:
Lovely shots Tony.

The ones with the reflection - is that glass on top of the foam? Or is it a mirror?
The reflections result from the seashells being placed upon a mirror, then the mirror upon the foam core board. Most of these shells are quite small so a reasonably small mirror is fine. I bought a nice quality oval shaped mirror at a glass shop.

Tony

Upvote 0
lion rock said:
Most of the shells I have, or seen, are bleached white. You have a wonderful collection, and photos match the shells, too.
-r
I have ones as you describe, as well. The really "showy and shiny" ones in the photos here have been polished, though not by me. I purchase these types of shells at a shop on a municipal wharf. They can also be purchased online from a variety of websites.

Tony

Upvote 0