Black & White

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
With lock down fever getting pretty serious now I've been playing about with various ways of scanning B&W negatives, and here's an example of scanning the negative as a positive in 48 bit and then converting to 16 bit and inverting in photoshop to get to a positive image. Gives remarkable latitude for highlights and lowlights. I'm not sure that there's really any point in scanning the B&W in 48 bit but it's an interesting experiment. Camera was EOS 1N with EF 28/2.8 IS lens and Ilford Pan F film rated at 50 ISO. Yellow filter.

Attachments

• 14-02-20 35B-2.jpg
    14-02-20 35B-2.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
With lock down fever getting pretty serious now I've been playing about with various ways of scanning B&W negatives, and here's an example of scanning the negative as a positive in 48 bit and then converting to 16 bit and inverting in photoshop to get to a positive image. Gives remarkable latitude for highlights and lowlights. I'm not sure that there's really any point in scanning the B&W in 48 bit but it's an interesting experiment. Camera was EOS 1N with EF 28/2.8 IS lens and Ilford Pan F film rated at 50 ISO. Yellow filter.

That's interesting.
I'm using SilverFast to scan my negatives. I scan them and then use On1 for my LR replacement....BUT, I found out that On1 RAW doesn't work and play well with greyscale images....right now, they want them RGB.

So, I've been now scanning as 48 bit "color" images.....but doing the normal negative scan to a positive (hope I"m saying this right) and then just bringing them into On1 for tweaking. So far it works good, but I'm still trying to figure out how big to scan them in for fidelity vs file size, etc....I'm shooting MF 120 film....6x6 not that bad, but man....the 6x9 and 6x17 get to be pretty darned large!!
:)

But anyway, I tested some 6x6 printing myself on 5"x5" paper and wow...I"m impressing myself ....B&W shots that I"m waiting on a frame to see how the 3 images work in a triptych ....

Anyway, interesting topic your raised and I like the image!!!

Cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Lock down looks to continue for another few weeks here in the UK, so dog walking photo ops is still it for a while. I thought this might be interesting, another comparison between black and white film and digital. The film is shot on a 1970 era Pentax Spotmatic with Takumar 55/1.8 lens and Ilford Pan F film plus a yellow green (XO) filter. The film is rated at 50 ISO, stick an XO filter on and you're down to 25, then expose for shadows and you end up with hand holding issues that we forgot about years ago ! The digital image is 5DS plus Tamron 45mm f/1.8

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0