Black & White

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's interesting how we perceive "old" things as being perfect for black and white. Because we are used to seeing them in black and white in pictures when they were newer. Young children. I suppose, are to be forgiven for their assumption that there was no color back then (and I don't mean "no color in cameras" I mean "no color in the world').

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It's interesting how we perceive "old" things as being perfect for black and white. Because we are used to seeing them in black and white in pictures when they were newer. Young children. I suppose, are to be forgiven for their assumption that there was no color back then (and I don't mean "no color in cameras" I mean "no color in the world').

LOL...well, I dunno.
I remember in college, etc...we took a LOT of blurry party pictures, and well, we don't think it was a problem with the camera, but things really DID look that blurry out our parties.

The images were realistic reproductions of what everyone was seeing.

;)

C

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I think black and white photography is a little like steam locomotives; at the time when there was nothing else everyone yearned for something more efficient and better, but then once they had gone many people realised that something rather magical had disappeared from their lives. Black and white can definitely offer something that colour doesn't on occasion IMO.

But I know exactly what SteveC means. On the rare occasion when you can see something very old that was actually produced in colour it looks too modern to be "real" !

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I find 95 percent of the time color works best, but for those other 5 percent...

Ah, yes those are incredible. Clever idea, using colored filters to stack 'em. I wonder how he himself used the pictures? How did they do color printing then?

(This reminds me of the story I read a few years back of someone who was able to record sound mechanically, before Edison, but had no means of playing it back (and no prospect of doing so). Software, of course, has "back engineered" his recordings and so after well over a century we were able to play them back.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0