Black & White

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
With Britain going into full lockdown until at least mid February Sporgon is going to get very bored. Expect plenty of obscure postings......

View attachment 195018

This is Thornwick Bay on the East coast of England. Four frame stitch, 35mm lens
Isn't there going to be a off-coastal windfarm in the area to decimate the birds?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Isn't there going to be a off-coastal windfarm in the area to decimate the birds?
Yes, there are going to be a few. One up on Dogger Bank which is out to sea further north and then the Hornsey ones which are slightly to the south of Thornwick Bay and Flamborough Head. The main concern from RSPB is the proposed Hornsey 4 site which comes up to the Flamborough Head latitude, although it's about 50 miles out. As you probably know Bempton cliffs (which in my picture are seen running up the left side towards Filey and Scarborough), are one of the most significant sea bird nesting sites in England. I'm not sure what effect it will have on the bird population; wildlife does seem to be able to adapt to man's interference as long as it's not pollution.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, there are going to be a few. One up on Dogger Bank which is out to sea further north and then the Hornsey ones which are slightly to the south of Thornwick Bay and Flamborough Head. The main concern from RSPB is the proposed Hornsey 4 site which comes up to the Flamborough Head latitude, although it's about 50 miles out. As you probably know Bempton cliffs (which in my picture are seen running up the left side towards Filey and Scarborough), are one of the most significant sea bird nesting sites in England. I'm not sure what effect it will have on the bird population; wildlife does seem to be able to adapt to man's interference as long as it's not pollution.
Bempton Cliffs, Filey - wonderful. I'll be driving up there after we get vaccinated. It's the kittiwakes the RSPB are worried about in particular. So, here is a juvenile one flying off Bempton Cliffs in B&W, which are its colours.juvenile_kittiwake_flying_3Q7A6915-DxO_CR_B&W.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0