Boy Scout Photography Class - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan to teach another (basics) Photography Class to scouts soon. Been pondering how to make it fun, keep scouts' attention, etc. Not my first rodeo but it never hurts to get input from others and gain more perspective. I've got a projector, computer, extra cameras, etc. Their requirements include learning photography basics and making a poster board or slide presentation with their pictures that tells a story.

So for all you instructors out there, anything you think makes a big splash or is a hit with your audience, I'm all ears! Thanks!

Also, some low cost camera thoughts/ideas for those young shooters... I was thinking either a used Rebel with kit lens (harder to come by) or a Canon SX160 from Amazon, etc that is a P&S but still allows for manual control and takes AA batteries when the suggested AA rechargeables run down while camping.

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I was a scout and would have loved this opportunity. There will always be immature nit-wits around that age group though. Macro might be cool for the younger guys. the history of gun-cotton and exploding photographers, and the camera obscura might be neat. lens-rentals has some neat articles and facts about the history. Goodf luck!

Upvote 0
Ryan708 said:
I was a scout and would have loved this opportunity. There will always be immature nit-wits around that age group though. Macro might be cool for the younger guys. the history of gun-cotton and exploding photographers, and the camera obscura might be neat. lens-rentals has some neat articles and facts about the history. Goodf luck!

Some great ideas I hadn't thought of for keeping it interesting Ryan708. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Not an instructor but a few ideas:

1. Rent a fisheye lens (if you don't have one) to take some cool distorted portraits of the scouts
2. Time exposure shots showing moon and star trails
3. First curtain and second curtain flash shots of an moving vehicle showing trailing and leading head lights
4. Daytime photo making it appear like a night time shot using HSS with -4 to -5 EV
5. Macro close-ups of anything that may look cool to scouts--rusty bolt, food with lots of texture, etc.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Great Ideas so far. Thanks!

I've decided to get THREE Bikini Models. One to teach with the pinhole camera and take pictures of the second one as she runs and jumps while the third one takes pictures of the other two making it look like night time and seeing how the headlights streak.

The instructor has decided to let the Bikini Modles teach the class. Why should the scouts have all the fun?

8)

Upvote 0
J

jeffd

Hi Rusty,

I've taught photography classes to youngsters aged 13-18 numerous times, and in my experience, you need to keep things simple on the technical side - at least at first. While we camera lovers may think it's imperative to feed our classes with aperture, shutter speed and ISO combinations from day one, I find it's much more productive to teach them composition and have them use the auto/program settings for the first classes. Show them a number of different everyday scenarios (not too complex) and explain how they work compositionwise. Then have them try to capture similar scenarios on their own. This will also allow kids with only a smartphone camera to experiment when they don't have access to a dedicated camera.

Once they've got the hang of it, I then start introducing semi-manual and finally manual settings.

Having the kids build a camera obscura sounds like fun and will also help them understand how thir camera works.

Regards,
Jeff

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff. Good Points! Now I'll just have to have someone teach me all those things and I'll be set! (LOL!) ;)

Seriously, I agree to keep it simple. However, I need to cover what's in the merit badge book and I'm trying to keep it to a day class for scheduling reasons, etc. (Hard to get these guys together for these things consistently.)

I'm thinking something like teaching the composition and basics first like you're suggesting, break out and everyone take pictures, regroup, examine pictures, discuss more technical topics, break out and take more pictures, regroup, examine and then wrap up with summary and the rest of the topics like careers, etc. Then they have to take pictures on their own and create a poster board story or slideshow for the last requirement.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.