*BUSTED* 1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]

Do I gather that this possible EOS will have the option of changeably using 1 of 3 sensors? Or that it is to be bought with one of the 3 sensors? If the former, then this does in fact seem to be an impressive game-changer, as the studio-oriented user could generate huge files, and the spot-news shooter could generate much smaller files, but at 10 FPS ... is this possible understanding correct? Does anyone have a guesstimate of a price? I would surmise upwards of 7K ...

Upvote 0

It's not hard to understand. You don't need 3 sensors...

Option 1 : Sensor start at 32mp and 5fps. If you want to sacrifice resolution for speed you pixel-bind, like shooting sRAW files and output 12mp images with 10fps.

Option 2 : Sensor also start with 32mp and 5fps. If you want more speed you read only a part of the sensor (think APS-C, 1.6x crop) in the center. Since you have less resolution you can go faster.

The Option 2 technology is not something Canon has shown to be possible yet. But Option 1 is. Canon produce sRAW images by binding pixel and also does create 1080p video frame at 30fps using the complete sensor. So Canon CAN read a full sensor faster when using lower resolution.

Upvote 0
L

logaandm

Pixel size about at the limit for optics.

Frame rate can be adjusted at the expense of picture size for action shots.

APS-H mode so everything looks just the same as what you've been doing the last 10 years.

Video at 100fps to get great slo-mo....

Sounds like the ideal sports photographer camera - maybe the ideal 35mm camera.

I want one. How much?

Upvote 0

The formats do not make sense. If the sensor is 32MP at FF, cropping the image electronically would yield just less than 19MP at 1.3 crop, and 12.5MP at 1.6 crop.

"Pixel size about at the limit for optics." has been said about every DSLR for the past 5 years. And what optics? An L prime at it's best settings? or a consumer zoom? Or are those the same?

Upvote 0

TexPhoto said:
If the sensor is 32MP at FF, cropping the image electronically would yield just less than 19MP at 1.3 crop, and 12.5MP at 1.6 crop.

So? 19mp with a 1.3 crop is better than the current 1DIV resolution. Double Digic V would most probably be able to handle this at 10 fps. You get to trade speed for resolution depending of the job to complete.

Upvote 0

Sorry, I don't buy this idea of a ff /1.3 / 1.6 switching idea.

Apart from making the viewfinder behave erratically, it would move the AF sensor points all over the frame so that you'd have to have a far more complex AF system too. Above everything else, a pro-camera needs to be reliable. Complexity and reliability make uncomfortable bedfellows.

I can however believe that maybe they have implemented on-chip binning modes so that the camera will output a 2x2 binned image, or a 3x3. Doing this (theoretically) gets you 2 and 3 stops of dynamic range respectively. CCD cameras used in astrophotography have done this for years - it's time that the DSLR caught up. Importantly, it reduces the amount of data that the chip has to shift so that frame rates go up.

As for video... um.... who cares? Neat for a semi-pro but Canon has professional video cameras.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
This is fairly inline with what we’ve heard previously.

If you take a FF 32.4 MP sensor and run it in a hypothetical 'APS-C mode' you don't get a 32.4 ÷ 1.6 = 20.3 MP image. The 'crop factor' is a diagonal measure that impacts field of view, but real pixels on a sensor have both x and y dimensions, so when you scale a FF 32.4 MP sensor to that 'APS-C mode' you get a 32.4 ÷ 1.62 = 12.6 MP image.

Please, go waste someone else's time, or come back when you're smarter.

I declare shennigans!!

Agreed, this one deserves a CR0, I think.

Upvote 0

Shnookums said:
So? 19mp with a 1.3 crop is better than the current 1DIV resolution. Double Digic V would most probably be able to handle this at 10 fps. You get to trade speed for resolution depending of the job to complete.

Sew buttons. It shows this spec list is nonsense. Nothing wrong with the concept, Nikon did it with one of the D2s as I recall, but assuming the pixels are the same size throughout the sensor, the numbers in this spec sheet are sheer comedy.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with the rumoured specs. Yes I agree that the mp/s is a little low on the FF output for a dual Digic V (32*5=160mp/s). The chipset is more than capable fo delivering 7.5 fps at that resolution. I also don't have a problem with the APS-C and APS-H crop modes. Sure the maths isn't right, but Canon did say that they were researching dual density chips. So it's quite possible that this new sensor has a higher pixel density in the 1.3x zone and 1.6x zone respectively. I'm also wondering if the higher pixel density and the need to split the sensor read out has something to do with the lower fps? As to concearns about the view finder, Canon have implemented an LCD screen in the 7D with grid overlays. I'm sure it's possible for Canon to have corresponding crop lines or even View finder black out crop edges when switching formats. It's not hard or difficult tech to implement.
I think the big question with this camera is what price point? Also looking at the specs, there's still a lot of processing capacity in the chip set for a higher resolution camera to sit above this unit in canon's heirachy. Maybe a 48mp 5 fps 1DsV? Who knows!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.