Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A hornet (vespa crabro) series doing a refuel of plant sap (their aviation fuel) at a white syringa.
Somehow I don't understand the fear people have from those as they are quite inoffensive to humans - esp. compared to wasps.
I can tell you as I have already been stung by a wasp this year. These were so relaxed that I could get almost as close as MFD of the 100L (30 cm).
Look at the shape of the compound eye, look at their barbed feet, look at their mandibles, and the neck is white - as it is with the bees.
It's really fascinating to me.

Edit: I also found that if I approached them too fast they were showing a defensive attitude by raising and spreading their fore legs.
I know this behaviour from mantises but never saw this from hornets or wasps before.

5D3, 100L, 1/80, f/16, macro ring light, fill flash, some cropping
Hornet_8.JPG

Closeup, 1:1
Hornet_8_closeup.JPG

Hornet_2.JPG Hornet_3.JPG Hornet_5.JPG

This one is at MFD and with almost no cropping

Hornet_1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice! Well done, Alan.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
While digging out an image of a Turkey Buzzard for the BIF thread, I came across four Florida butterflies I took last year in the Everglades (I want to go back!). A Mangrove Skipper, Dusky Skipper, Julia and male Monarch (all with the 100-40mm II on the 5DSR - I need a lens that cope with shots insects 3m away to BIF when out hiking).
3Q7A4101-DxO_mangrove_skipper_butterfly-lsss.jpg3Q7A4099-DxO_dusky_skipper_butterfly-lsss.jpg3Q7A4089-DxO_julia_butterfly-lsss.jpg3Q7A4083-DxO_male_monarch_butterfly-lsss.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
found all these neat bugs and turns out I basically witnessed almost all the stages in a ladybug's life cycle in an hour... weird, funny and educational. early larvae, later larvae, pupa and adult.. just missed eggs. Sadly the easiest one (ladybug adult) I didn't try so hard as I have many... was just testing a DIY macro flash diffuser I built.. .works well, all these were handheld..
IMG_2306.jpgIMG_2309.jpgIMG_2288.jpgIMG_2331.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0