Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Small Cabbage White (Pieris rapae) in lavender.
BIF with the EOS R and a Sigma 105mm Macro @ 1/2000s, Iso800, f/7.1 and f/6.3
View attachment 198839View attachment 198840
I still prefer a wider FoV:cool:
Beautiful BIF shots (funny, BIF can also stand for Butterflies In Flight ;) )
Since you're using the Sigma 105 macro, do you have any thoughts about the upcoming RF 100 f2.8 1.4x macro?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Beautiful BIF shots (funny, BIF can also stand for Butterflies In Flight ;) )
Thank You! And there are even more animals starting with a "B" I got in flight.
do you have any thoughts about the upcoming RF 100 f2.8 1.4x macro?
YES! I have: It will probably be the next lens I will get. If You saw the promo video , You know why.
BUT at the moment I don't have the money because I will get my R5 tomorrow. So maybe next year.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Hi! I'm new to this thread, and look forward to viewing the photos that others have posted here.
I'd like to post some photos I took during a recent visit to the Butterfly House, in the St. Louis area.
All are with R5 and RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 lens and DXO PL4.

I've never tried to identify butterflies, so I'll try to use "Seek" from my previous "birding" usage.
I'll mention what it tells me (for better or worse). ;)
If anyone knows of a better iphone app to ID butterflies, feel free to let me know.

Possible member of "Longwings" family: View attachment 198807

Heliconius:
View attachment 198808

Tiger Longwing:
View attachment 198809

Chinese Hibiscus:
View attachment 198810

View attachment 198811

?:
View attachment 198812

Cheers.

...curious as to how well 'eye focus' works on butterflies?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).gif
Each frame is 0.17 sec apart; 5D MkIII with both cards; 100-400 IS II (@ about 300, no extender).

And I remain amazed/flabbergasted when thinking about what many who post here know--there is very little blue pigment in nature. Most of the blue we see in birds and (I guess) butterflies is not due to pigment..but rather to optical effects:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
...curious as to how well 'eye focus' works on butterflies?
I've had trouble with butterfly eye focus. It often focuses on the "false eyes" on their wings.
I'm glad I use 2 different back-focus buttons. So if eye focus is fooled I can always use the center spot focus on the head and recompose.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I've had trouble with butterfly eye focus. It often focuses on the "false eyes" on their wings.
I'm glad I use 2 different back-focus buttons. So if eye focus is fooled I can always use the center spot focus on the head and recompose.
...this is the real reason I read cr. Thanks for responding.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I watched an interesting scientific programme about AI and object recognition. The AI recognises distribution of pixels and doesn‘t see the way we do. The programme showed, for example, how an AI program easily identified a picture as that of a dog. But an expert fooled around with the pixels in a way that the we couldn’t see any differences but the program then identified it as a trombone.
I use the same back button set up as you but don‘t recompose but leave the center spot on the head.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I watched an interesting scientific programme about AI and object recognition. The AI recognises distribution of pixels and doesn‘t see the way we do. The programme showed, for example, how an AI program easily identified a picture as that of a dog. But an expert fooled around with the pixels in a way that the we couldn’t see any differences but the program then identified it as a trombone.
I use the same back button set up as you but don‘t recompose but leave the center spot on the head.
...wonderful post here.

It is kind of an obvious point but AI and other 'computer-assisted imaging' strategies really are essential for Canon in today's wonderful world of photography, eh?

You've got what Canon is already really really good at: (1) lenses and (2) sensors

Then another obvious Canon strength: (3) the user interface

I think AI and computer-assisted imaging are an important (4) in this 'list'...and Canon needs to be on their game here, too. With eye-focus etc (as well as the free software that enables most modern Canon cameras to function as web-cams) Canon is at or near the top here, too.

I presume CR readers have seen the feature Apple is touting in their very latest (and pricey) iPad Pros, a feature Apple calls 'Center Stage'.

Center Stage works only on the 2021 iPad Pro's front camera, a camera that utilizes a (front) lens that Apple claims has a 120 degree angle of view. Behind this ultra-wide lens is a 12 megapixel sensor. What Apple has done (I think) is realize that (probably for bandwidth reasons) videochat services such as their own Facetime as well as Zoom etc usually only transmit a 1-2 megapixel video signal.

So what Apple did (I think) is use AI to 'recognize' faces. This is all possible because the new M1 chip that resides within the 2021 iPad Pros is the identical chip found in Apple's latest laptops...is 'thisfast'...and is capable of the arithmetic necessary to recognize faces.

So 'normally' what Center Stage does (in a normal video chat with one person sitting a couple of feet or so from the tablet) is use the center 25% or so of the pixels and transmits that signal.

But the lens is ultra-wide...and if the subject gets up and steps back, moves left or right...stands up or bends down...that center 25% of the pixels slowly and smoothly follows that subject, zooms in if necessary...

It really works...and is an example of the sort of thing that Canon needs to out in front on.

Yes I am as aware as most (but not all!) who read and post here that full frame/depth of field/color science/dynamic range etc etc etc are of the utmost import for professional photographers.

But there is no reason that Canon can't innovate in all directions...in fact, to attract (and keep) younger photographers (like my daughters...M users!) in the fold...this kind of innovation is essential.

My wife teaches yoga (in part) from our living room. She has 'kidnapped' my M6 Mk II/EFM 11-22 combo, connected to a Dell XPS 13 via USB-C and Canon's webcam software...as well as a 55" 4K TV...to deliver pretty good content to her students--some of which prefer her classes delivered this way rather than the normal in-person classes (which have now re-started).

We'll be replacing everything but the TV with one of the new iPad Pros that can utilize Center Stage...it really really works for her particular use case--it is as if someone is operating the camera as she goes through the various yoga poses.

All from one device.

=====

I need help identifying this (rather small) butterfly:

5D3_2931 - Copy.JPG5D3_2934 - Copy.JPG
Edit: Sachem?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0