Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Not sure if this has been posted before.

Jack
Thanks for posting this - it's a wonderful video. I'm on the list to get this lens (who knows when it comes to me?).
I've made a new "England" bookmark folder and added the Anston Butterfly House to it, so one day when I get to England I'll make sure to visit it!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
More Butterfly House photos.
(R5 + RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L)

I get different names (guesses?) from Seek with the same type of butterfly in different poses.
So I'll just mention my best guess of what it is, and please forgive (or correct) me if I'm wrong.

Doris Longwing:
A04_1265_1_2k90%.jpg

A04_1271_1_2k90%.jpg

Brush Footed, but maybe Doris Longwing?:
A04_1279_1_2k90%.jpg

A04_1287_1_2k90%.jpg

A04_1302_1_2k90%.jpg

Brush Footed (?):
A04_1311_1_2k90%.jpg

Cheers.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Lovely shots, usern4cr.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
...wonderful post here.

It is kind of an obvious point but AI and other 'computer-assisted imaging' strategies really are essential for Canon in today's wonderful world of photography, eh?

You've got what Canon is already really really good at: (1) lenses and (2) sensors

Then another obvious Canon strength: (3) the user interface

I think AI and computer-assisted imaging are an important (4) in this 'list'...and Canon needs to be on their game here, too. With eye-focus etc (as well as the free software that enables most modern Canon cameras to function as web-cams) Canon is at or near the top here, too.

I presume CR readers have seen the feature Apple is touting in their very latest (and pricey) iPad Pros, a feature Apple calls 'Center Stage'.

Center Stage works only on the 2021 iPad Pro's front camera, a camera that utilizes a (front) lens that Apple claims has a 120 degree angle of view. Behind this ultra-wide lens is a 12 megapixel sensor. What Apple has done (I think) is realize that (probably for bandwidth reasons) videochat services such as their own Facetime as well as Zoom etc usually only transmit a 1-2 megapixel video signal.

So what Apple did (I think) is use AI to 'recognize' faces. This is all possible because the new M1 chip that resides within the 2021 iPad Pros is the identical chip found in Apple's latest laptops...is 'thisfast'...and is capable of the arithmetic necessary to recognize faces.

So 'normally' what Center Stage does (in a normal video chat with one person sitting a couple of feet or so from the tablet) is use the center 25% or so of the pixels and transmits that signal.

But the lens is ultra-wide...and if the subject gets up and steps back, moves left or right...stands up or bends down...that center 25% of the pixels slowly and smoothly follows that subject, zooms in if necessary...

It really works...and is an example of the sort of thing that Canon needs to out in front on.

Yes I am as aware as most (but not all!) who read and post here that full frame/depth of field/color science/dynamic range etc etc etc are of the utmost import for professional photographers.

But there is no reason that Canon can't innovate in all directions...in fact, to attract (and keep) younger photographers (like my daughters...M users!) in the fold...this kind of innovation is essential.

My wife teaches yoga (in part) from our living room. She has 'kidnapped' my M6 Mk II/EFM 11-22 combo, connected to a Dell XPS 13 via USB-C and Canon's webcam software...as well as a 55" 4K TV...to deliver pretty good content to her students--some of which prefer her classes delivered this way rather than the normal in-person classes (which have now re-started).

We'll be replacing everything but the TV with one of the new iPad Pros that can utilize Center Stage...it really really works for her particular use case--it is as if someone is operating the camera as she goes through the various yoga poses.

All from one device.

=====

I need help identifying this (rather small) butterfly:

View attachment 198854View attachment 198855
Edit: Sachem?
No expert here but it looks like a Skipper, possibly the European Skipper.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Not sure if this has been posted before.

Jack
...wonderful video. I had not seen it. A suggestion from a CR reader is usually enough for me. Wonderful video.

Earlier in this thread I posted a list of (obvious) things Canon does well. An item needs to be added (with no snark intended):

*Canon markets well

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Got my R5 yesterday and tried some BIF today:
wool bee with a Sigma 150mm @ 11/1600, Iso 1600, f/7.1

honeybee with the Laowa 60mm @ 1/800, Iso200. Don't remember the aperture
The EXIF says f/1.75. Presumably, then, the manual focus lens is not communicating the aperture to the camera so the EXIF is just giving the maximum aperture rather than actual?

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Thanks, @Click !

@AlanF :
I have no idea why a aperture of 1.75 is listed in the EXIF. The lens has no electronics and is also only f/2.8.
Of cause I have NOT edited the EXIF.

You must have been pretty close to get that with a 60mm, right?
Yes, this lens has a short working distance. You get 1,5x to 2x magnification with 50mm between lens and subject (heavy focus breathing!)
The following picture was taken at highest mag with an additional extension tub of 20mm:
R5 @ 1/250, Iso 6400, f/8
Langrüssliges Stockrosenspitzmäuschen.jpg
Rhopalapion longirostre
I love the german name, maybe You will also enjoy it: ;)
Langrüssliges Stockrosenspitzmäuschen :love:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Got my R5 yesterday ...
I start to get jealous ;)
But really beautiful captures :love:

I love the german name, maybe You will also enjoy it: ;)
Langrüssliges Stockrosenspitzmäuschen :love:
Der ist einfach großartig.
That name just made me *rotfl* :ROFLMAO:
Tolles Bild anyway.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
@usern4cr
Nice series! I like the third with it's look through the bushes directly in the face!

As mentioned before I got my R5 and I'm very, very happy with the tracking:
After some BIF and DIf now some WIF::D

R5 with a Sigma 105 Makro@ 1/2500, f/7.1 and ISO 2000
Gasteruption assectator.jpg

I think it is a Gasteruption assectator. But I am shure it is a female because of the long ovipositor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
@usern4cr
Nice series! I like the third with it's look through the bushes directly in the face!

As mentioned before I got my R5 and I'm very, very happy with the tracking:
After some BIF and DIf now some WIF::D

R5 with a Sigma 105 Makro@ 1/2500, f/7.1 and ISO 2000
View attachment 198947

I think it is a Gasteruption assectator. But I am shure it is a female because of the long ovipositor.
Great WIF photo, Nemorino. I'm glad you mentioned the ovipositor as I was wondering what that was.

Upvote 0