Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And one more from this evening (it was total dark - the light is artificial... ISO 3200, F8, 1/80 exposure, 290 focal (I used my zoom, there was no room for the prime). Again on the lanai and again discovered by my wife:rolleyes:!
Click, please don't tell me it's a good photo - we all know it's not! On other hand it's my second photo of The Gray Hawk Moth (Psilogramma menephron). The first one was in the film era... It shouldn't be that rare here but most probably hard to see! I didn't pay attention to the engaged focus points - and well, I pay for it :mad:!

DSC_6535_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
For some of them 60mm is fine. For others I prefer 500mm - by safety reasons:)!

View attachment 202195
Nice shots. In general wasps are not aggressive to us. The scariest ones often give warnings first. I do tend to avoid nests though, like as in your shot.

I often photograph hornets with the 60mm. If they are not happy with you being there they will first display their discontent, next stage they start banging into your head. If you ignore that warning then you do need your head tested. I am sure you know al that. This is for those that don’t realise just how many species we are lucky to have, or their, the fact most are not capable of stinging us, or that their behaviour is often not aggressive. That is unit you start wildly swatting them as they steal from you picnic. Here is a 60mm shot of a European hornet. This tree was full of them stripping bark foe nest building. Dirty work needing a lot of cleaning. Totally not bothered by me sticking a lens a few mm from him, nor was the one that was using my left hand as a bridge frame one branch to the next.

16CF4475-A11D-4035-844E-5C7B4189272C.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
OK, another one for You!:cool:
Also with the Laowa 60mm macro but on an Eos R/MT24 @ 1/400s, ISO1600, f/8

A good reason to try deepPrime processing a macro.
Nice shot. What diffuser did you use for the flash? Also interested to hear your ISO choice when using flash? I can only guess it was to balance the background?

Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
I used no diffusors (bought a pair since).
I prefer Iso 1600 for brighter background and less highlights/reflections. But I will try Iso 3200 this summer and processing with deepPrime. Maybe I can get a more natural look.
Cool stuff. Always great to hear how others work. I tend to stick to ISO 100-400 rarely going higher. I either create a very close background, such as picking an angle where it is nice and close. Or I pick a well lit background by moving around the subject and picking a suitable spot. Probably I have worked like that as I used to shoot on a 7D and the high iso was not the best. Your lovely camera seems to do a superb job at 1600.

Upvote 0