Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
7enderbender said:
Seriously, what I've been wondering is who really would want the 1Dx over the 5DIII? It appears Canon has now added better AF (potentially the same as in the 1-series) which is what everyone always screamed about. And it has supposedly more weather sealing and such, high enough frame rate and great flexibility for really everything now. So why bother with the 1Dx? What am I missing? And what else will Canon put out to fill any potential gap now that their studio and/or sports pros may be missing still?

I've been wondering about the same thing, but coming to think of it, the shutter life itself already shows a significant difference. Also, there's still the old plastic reflector vs. metallic reflector mirror thing where Canon still keeps the metallic one for the 1D series...

Upvote 0
Y

YellowJersey

If you're shooting at a professional level where you need every edge you can get and the mkII might mean not getting the shot while the mkIII might mean getting the shot, then I think it makes sense to upgrade.

But, for the enthusiasts, I'm of the opinion that it probably makes more sense to upgrade every other generation. I have a 5D and while I was tempted when the mkII came out I felt that upgrading to a new model after only three or four years was too soon. I couldn't justify the expense after having the 5D for such a relatively short period of time. I think the enthusiasts, the jump in IQ is really only worth it to make the leap every other generation. So for those who have a mkII, it probably makes sense to hang on to it until the mkIV or whatever, or hold off on the mkIII until we see a price drop that's enough to make you bite.

The other option is that if you have money to burn, then go for it. There are certainly worse things you could spend your money on. Unfortunately, most of us aren't in that category.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.