By 2020: Wishlist for EOS bodies

This is my wish-list:

a rear LCD histogram/blinkies display that is based on raw data rather than a jpg conversion

a proximity sensor that turns off the LCD when you bring the camera to your eye (my 100D has this but my 80D doesn’t)

an on-dial setting that allows you to manually set an exposure (as M does) but provides an automatic adjustment of shutter speed if you need to quickly vary aperture, or vice versa, while maintaining the same exposure value (perhaps called Ev)

a sensor that arranges pixel sites on a triangular matrix like this:

R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R

instead of the current square matrix with twice as many green pixel sites as red and blue. This triangular matrix would allow many more effective pixels to fit into a given area and wouldn't require whatever algorithm is used to halve the green values. I assume though that there is some technical reason it can't be done like this as it seems so obvious.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
danski0224 said:
Jopa said:
Does it mean you don't want your camera to go over ISO 800? As far a I know that's a usable iso limit on Foveons.

I would be fine with that.

Knowing how popular are the Sigma cameras I doubt Canon will ever follow that path. It would be even more surprising than seeing a medium format Canon :)

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Pippan said:
This is my wish-list:

a rear LCD histogram/blinkies display that is based on raw data rather than a jpg conversion

a proximity sensor that turns off the LCD when you bring the camera to your eye (my 100D has this but my 80D doesn’t)

an on-dial setting that allows you to manually set an exposure (as M does) but provides an automatic adjustment of shutter speed if you need to quickly vary aperture, or vice versa, while maintaining the same exposure value (perhaps called Ev)

R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R

instead of the current square matrix with twice as many green pixel sites as red and blue. This triangular matrix would allow many more effective pixels to fit into a given area and wouldn't require whatever algorithm is used to halve the green values. I assume though that there is some technical reason it can't be done like this as it seems so obvious.

It smells like X-Trans...

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Knowing how popular are the Sigma cameras I doubt Canon will ever follow that path. It would be even more surprising than seeing a medium format Canon :)

Canon could do it as a niche product. If I'm not mistaken, Canon has patents for a sensor that is a Foveon type design.

Maybe some sort of collaboration with Sigma :)

Even if the guts were put into a 5D series body, I'd get one unless the pricing was similar to the Sigma SD1.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Pippan said:

R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R
R B G R B G R B G R B G
G R B G R B G R B G R

It smells like X-Trans...

Is that how X-Trans sensors are patterned?

Upvote 0