C70 firmware Update adds 4K and 1080p Cinema RAW Light recording

Canon has announced a firmware update to the C70 to provide Cinema RAW light internal recording for 4K and 1080p recording.
Also according to CineD, you can record in both Cinema RAW LT (up to 4k 60p and ST (up to 4k 30p) modes and also HQ mode but up to 2K in an s16 crop.
You can download the firmware update here: Canon Europe  Canon USA
Firmware Version 1.0.3.1 incorporates the following fix and enhancements:

Adds support for the Cinema RAW Light recording modes. Resolution:4096×2160,2048×1080 Bit Depth:12 bit

Frame...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is brilliant. Just had enough time to play around, but the RAW LITE 12 bit files are simply beautiful. The dynamic range of the DGO sensor out does my R5’s 12 bit ProRes 5K RAW output by miles. Very glad I held on to my C70 now. If the next R5 update sorts out the autofocus issue, then I’m an all-round happy bunny.

If I was going too ask for anything as an addition, it would be ProRes RAW 12 bit external output from the C70 to the Ninja V+. I prefer the lack of noise reduction and Final Cut Pro compatibility of ProRes raw files. Can’t see it happening, though.

Upvote 0
Are you still having autofocus issues even after firmware 1.5.2?
Yeah, apparently if you roll-back and re-install (repeat as necessary) you stand a better chance of it working, but I don’t have the will power to faff around. At least, not at the moment. 1.5.2 was supposed to fix the issue, but, in my case, it actually made it worse.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is brilliant. Just had enough time to play around, but the RAW LITE 12 bit files are simply beautiful. The dynamic range of the DGO sensor out does my R5’s 12 bit ProRes 5K RAW output by miles. Very glad I held on to my C70 now. If the next R5 update sorts out the autofocus issue, then I’m an all-round happy bunny.

If I was going too ask for anything as an addition, it would be ProRes RAW 12 bit external output from the C70 to the Ninja V+. I prefer the lack of noise reduction and Final Cut Pro compatibility of ProRes raw files. Can’t see it happening, though.
Did you write Canon support? If you are a C70 owner they should respond within a day or so. It helps if you write your same concerns to Canon directly.

Upvote 0
Jesus, no need to be so damn rude. It’s not fake, the C70 outputs to HDMI whatever your recording settings are. It even says so in the updated manual. Don’t believe me? Contact canon yourself instead of calling other people liars.

There is a problem for Atomos owners, however. I contacted Atomos and was told initially that they’d be able to record RAW from the C70 to the Ninja V+, but was then contacted by another member of their support team who apologized and said that they’d need to release a firmware update before they can record Canon RAW LT or SD coming from the C70.

I imagine it’s because the Ninja isn’t familiar with that particular “RAW” codec.

Upvote 0