Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights

Hillsilly said:
I usually fly Emirates, which means stopping in Dubai. I've never stepped outside the airport, but I've always been curious about spending a week or two somewhere around there. By middle east, I've nowhere specific in mind. Cairo, Mecca and Medina are probably the most likely destinations. I'd like to get out and see more of the countryside, but I'm not really a tour group person. And I don't think girls can drive in Saudi Arabia anyway (even if you are tourists), so I'm not even sure how I'd get around.

This is a little OT but it is forbidden for non-Muslims to enter Mecca.

Upvote 0
Before anyone gets carried away with this ban, here's some more information I found.

- The ban DOES apply to lenses. However, the maximum size of a lens allowed as carry on varies by airline. I haven't found any documents from specific airlines, but if you're flying one of them it makes sense to call.
- The ban is set to be expire/reviewed in 7 months. Who knows what will happen at that time.
- Italy, France, and Germany have reviewed the same security information and decided not to ban.

As I mentioned before, there is a discrepancy in that the UK did not ban flights from Morocco, Abu Dhabi, and Dubai. This article from the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/21/trump-wont-allow-you-to-use-ipads-or-laptops-on-certain-airlines-heres-the-underlying-story/?utm_term=.767fc9a03a8c gives a good explanation on why that may be.

If this article is true, then I don't think we'll need to worry about the electronics ban expanding.

In my particular case, I have a trip to Morocco in a few weeks, but I have stops in Madrid and Heathrow, so I'm not affected. I have further trips to South Africa, Luxembourg, Belize, and Greece, so despite my concern for the ban I'm not affected for awhile.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LDS said:
Some also can cut foam on your design - there are also bag with moveable dividers, foam protects better, but is not versatile.

Thx, appreciate the post.

I will 100% TrekPak it if I get a hard case -- I believe TP has kits dialed in for specific Pelicans if memory serves. (Permanent pick-n-pluck foam or generic dividers drive me nuts.)

- A

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
kirispupis said:
What also is correct is the fact that these are still very safe places (see data in my previous post).
Would you consider those places safe for young female photographers who are travelling on their own and who are taking predominantly people, street and social documentary photographs?

With any country, one needs to do one's homework and be culturally aware. There is no excuse for stupidity, no matter where you are.

For example, recently I traveled to Jamaica. We stayed at a large western resort and for our excursions to the countryside we contacted locals in advance and always had a guide and driver. We had an amazing trip and found the locals very friendly. Not once did we fear for our safety. A friend of ours recently traveled to Jamaica too. She booked a cheap hotel in Kingston and was scared for her life. She didn't do her homework.

In the case of these countries affected by the electronics ban, any photographer should know that most women will react negatively to taking their photo. Interestingly, they sometimes won't object if another woman takes the photograph - so when we're in a Muslim majority country my wife usually takes the people photos.

In terms of whether these places are generally safe for women photographers, from those women I know who have done so they're as dangerous as Greece or Russia - doable with common sense.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ahsanford said:
LDS said:
Some also can cut foam on your design - there are also bag with moveable dividers, foam protects better, but is not versatile.

Thx, appreciate the post.

I will 100% TrekPak it if I get a hard case -- I believe TP has kits dialed in for specific Pelicans if memory serves. (Permanent pick-n-pluck foam or generic dividers drive me nuts.)

- A
We ship a lot of test equipment in Pelican cases......the pick-n-pluck foam really works well, plus you can get extra foam fairly reasonably... Never had a problem with damaged gear, including one case that fell off of a frigate into the Atlantic ocean.....

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
NancyP said:
Pros and others traveling to Turkey etc are just likely to not fly direct, but to go through a European hub with luggage retrieved at the hub and taken through customs by the owner to the flight to the USA. The regulations aren't going to ban laptops etc from carry-on luggage in between NYC and Dusseldorf.

Turkish is itself a large airline with its hub in Istanbul - it's not just the base airport of a regional company - it flies directly to several US destinations. It was able to run ads with several sport stars, including Lionel Messi and Kobe Bryant, to promote its flight services and its large network.

Retrieving the luggage usually requires you to re-check in it, it takes time, and in some airports, a lot of walking :)

Upvote 0
LDS said:
NancyP said:
Pros and others traveling to Turkey etc are just likely to not fly direct, but to go through a European hub with luggage retrieved at the hub and taken through customs by the owner to the flight to the USA. The regulations aren't going to ban laptops etc from carry-on luggage in between NYC and Dusseldorf.

Turkish is itself a large airline with its hub in Istanbul - it's not just the base airport of a regional company - it flies directly to several US destinations. It was able to run ads with several sport stars, including Lionel Messi and Kobe Bryant, to promote its flight services and its large network.

Retrieving the luggage usually requires you to re-check in it, it takes time, and in some airports, a lot of walking :)
Dubai and Istanbul are two of the world's largest international flight hubs and Turkish and Emirates are two very big airlines... Probably have 50 flights/yr routed through these two.

Upvote 0