Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights

Jul 28, 2015
takesome1 said:
Other than that they are an embarrassment to the US.

I think that is a bit unfair (I am British and am not a member of any form of security/police service). There is only so much you can do and the rest is for show.
Until the twin towers went down, the British had a very pragmatic view on security by keeping the population on side because they are your best security service - at the time of Charles and Diana's wedding one officer was asked why security was so low key - his response was that the population gave him 50 million people who would help them prevent any trouble. When 9/11 happened the wave of paranoia and confusion, along with GWBush grandstanding resulted in a load of increasingly restrictive practices that I believe ended up being counterproductive by alienating too many people.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
takesome1 said:
ahsanford said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this effectively eliminates the (American) enthusiast photographer from going to visit these places now, correct?
You are wrong.
I only eliminates your ability to carry on your lap top and camera. You can still buy a hard side pelican and send your equipment through regular baggage.

Exactly my point. Between the risk of theft (i.e. a Pelican case screams something of value is inside) and the cost/inconvenience of going this route (might need to buy the case, extra cost of checking another bag, etc.) would probably deter many vacationers from ever going there in the first place. They'd just go to another destination that does allow cameras in carry-ons, right?

I defer to the big gear folks, sports folks, birders, safari vets, etc. that are accustomed to checking gear. It may be no big deal at all, but as a guy who can get all his gear into a carry-on, I carry it on 100% of the time.

- A

If you are flying from the US to one of these countries on vacation, spent over $1k for each of your family members tickets an extra $100 for an extra bag is not going to be a deal breaker for most.

I think there are other more important reasons to be taken in to account when deciding to go somewhere else, specifically the families safety if you are flying to an area that has this kind of requirement. My camera gear rode in a container ship, airplane and a truck all the way from Japan to get to where I live. I am sure it could survive another trip, if not insurance will replace it with the newest model.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
takesome1 said:
privatebydesign said:
Meanwhile you can breeze through US security with almost anything! http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

I wish your second comment "you can breeze through US security with almost anything!" was true.

It is true, just look at the link. TSA failed 95% of field tests where other agents tried to get fake guns and bombs past the TSA, meanwhile you can't take a nail file on board...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
I think that is a bit unfair (I am British and am not a member of any form of security/police service). There is only so much you can do and the rest is for show.
Until the twin towers went down, the British had a very pragmatic view on security by keeping the population on side because they are your best security service - at the time of Charles and Diana's wedding one officer was asked why security was so low key - his response was that the population gave him 50 million people who would help them prevent any trouble. When 9/11 happened the wave of paranoia and confusion, along with GWBush grandstanding resulted in a load of increasingly restrictive practices that I believe ended up being counterproductive by alienating too many people.

Precisely why you don't alienate 1.6 billion people with policies like this. :-[

Forgive me, this thread was a gear FYI to travelers. Sorry to go OT.

- A

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
ahsanford said:
Exactly my point. Between the risk of theft (i.e. a Pelican case screams something of value is inside) and the cost/inconvenience of going this route (might need to buy the case, extra cost of checking another bag, etc.) would probably deter many vacationers from ever going there in the first place. They'd just go to another destination that does allow cameras in carry-ons, right?

Also, remember this is not limited to cameras - it encompasses laptop, tablets, I guess external disks as well, and many other devices.

A lot of things to protect and to insure (and that adds to the cost of the travel too), and the bigger risk to lose valuable data, while forbidding to work while flying - there are also business travelers, not only photographers :)

While most users of this forum will be able to plan and take care of this, many other travelers may not have the same knowledge, and will have issues.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
ahsanford said:
buy some hard cases just to make the trip work (ouch).

Depends on what the TSA thinks of your locked down hard cases, when they arrive.

If you use TSA locks, it's useless, the keys are now in the "public domain" - any thief will have a copy.
Its even worse. TSA cut open my TSA lock... :mad: When I complained they sent a standard reply saying "sorry - but next time use a TSA lock". :'(

That's when I gave up. :(

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
According to BBC

The nine airlines affected are:
Royal Jordanian
Egypt Air
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways

The countries:
Morocco
Turkey
Egypt
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Qatar
United Arab Emirates

Hmmm. My most used airlines and hubs... Actually quite difficult to avoid Istanbul and UAE when you do a lot of intercontinental traveling Asia/Europe/US. :eek:

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
takesome1 said:
privatebydesign said:
Meanwhile you can breeze through US security with almost anything! http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

I wish your second comment "you can breeze through US security with almost anything!" was true.

It is true, just look at the link. TSA failed 95% of field tests where other agents tried to get fake guns and bombs past the TSA, meanwhile you can't take a nail file on board...

I think they probably do better than 95%, if not fake news maybe over inflated numbers.
But even if it is true and they are letting 95% through this part of your comment you can breeze through just isn't correct in my experience.

It is more stagnant than breeze.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
BeenThere said:
Pack a point & shoot camera and fly safe. Not that many affected flights currently, but the ban could spread to more flights if hard intel finds evidence of camera bombs being manufactured.

Isn't that why we have the rule? Plans for such devices were captured on a recent raid? If their are plans, its likely that some have been made, but not certain.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Isn't that why we have the rule? Plans for such devices were captured on a recent raid? If their are plans, its likely that some have been made, but not certain.

Commonsense says I agree and this is probably a flag saying 'we know what you are up to'
But (without wanting to get into politics) Trump's pronouncements since last year makes me cynical.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Mikehit said:
takesome1 said:
Other than that they are an embarrassment to the US.

I've been thru Heathrow in the 1990's where guards and even private security agents were carrying machine guns. I worked for a major company, and had a younger friend who was grabbed by the guards, pinned to a wall with machine guns pointed, and was almost hauled away when he was finally able to show them his company and personal ID. His crime was flying first class wearing blue jeans (Our company bought Business Class tickets, but BA always gave upgrades to First Class if space was available). On one trip, a person who was obviously some sort of middle eastern person of importance dressed in turban and bright robes was flanked on four sides by machine gun toting plain clothes guards (who looked ready to shoot) paraded thru the passenger waiting room. We had to snake thru long lines and pass thru security twice to get into the passenger waiting area, and yet they were still paranoid. Its a annoyance to have to check large electronics on a return flight to the US, but that's all.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
BeenThere said:
Pack a point & shoot camera and fly safe. Not that many affected flights currently, but the ban could spread to more flights if hard intel finds evidence of camera bombs being manufactured.

CNN -- certainly no fans of DT -- broke the news last night that it was AQAP-intel related.

In writing here:

"Another U.S. official says the ban on some electronics is believed to be related to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula or AQAP. The intelligence community has been tracking this threat for some time, but the official said that some information from a recent U.S. Special Forces raid in Yemen contributed to the ongoing concern."

Presumably -- yes -- that raid in Yemen, which in and of itself would be enormous news in the US.

Until it's announced, it's all speculation and word of anonymous administration sources.

- A

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Re: TSA - recently I traveled with a tripod and ballhead in my carry on without issue an I am not complaining. But, in the line a few people ahead of me, they confiscated a (about) 14 inch souvenir baseball bat from spring training from a kid, saying it was a potential weapon. I am happy about the tripod but this obviously makes no sense.

Re: New restrictions - So I cannot carry on a tablet or laptop on a non-stop flight from Jordan but I can from Ethiopia? This makes absolutely no sense either. But, if I take a flight from one of the restricted airports and change planes (not flying directly to US) it is OK? This also makes no sense.

I am choosing to assume that there is a rational basis for these new restrictions (only to keep me sane) and it not just another political ploy, but ya gotta wonder. I do not mean to hijack this thread or contribute to the direction it will soon go, but I guess I just did.....................

::) ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The only plausible "it's not a petty backhand to punish countries we couldn't altogether ban people from" theories I can offer:

1) They have intel of a not a bomb but weapons stored inside of electronics. A bomb in the hold is still a bomb on the plane that could be triggered through other means, but a weapon could lead to a hijack situation and commandeering of a cockpit.

2) They have hard intel of an imminent move at certain airports. But why they wouldn't cease all air traffic from those airports until that is resolved implies they think they know the means of harm, and it's apparently in consumer electronics.

Totally guessing here. We'll hear more, I'm sure: as stomach-curdling as the religious bans have been, it's still red meat for his base and he loves to announce these things with some gusto. And if this is truly tied to the Yemen raid, he will have a field day with the press about that fact.

- A

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
takesome1 said:
If you are flying from the US to one of these countries on vacation, spent over $1k for each of your family members tickets an extra $100 for an extra bag is not going to be a deal breaker for most.

I think there are other more important reasons to be taken in to account when deciding to go somewhere else, specifically the families safety if you are flying to an area that has this kind of requirement. My camera gear rode in a container ship, airplane and a truck all the way from Japan to get to where I live. I am sure it could survive another trip, if not insurance will replace it with the newest model.

Exactly. It's not just the cost of the case, but also if you're planning a vacation to countries that are often on US State Dept warnings/advisories, you should know what you're getting into in the larger sense of things...

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Maiaibing said:
Its even worse. TSA cut open my TSA lock...

Not that I'm excusing TSA's actions, but I trust you're aware that not every memory card out there with a SanDisk logo on it is actually made by SanDisk, to SanDisk's QC standards.

I have no doubt that there are many 'TSA-accepted' locks sold in various places around the world that are not, in fact, TSA-accepted. If the lock says TSA002 on it, and the #2 key doesn't open it, they're going to cut it off.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
BeenThere said:
The U.K. Has joined the conspiracy limiting some electronic devices in carry on luggage from some airports.

The UK actions sound much more like a reaction to a specific intelligence threat and are very different from the US actions.

The UK are banning large electronics from carry on on all flights, including BA and Easyjet, from six countries including Saudi Arabia.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
takesome1 said:

Exactly. It's not just the cost of the case, but also if you're planning a vacation to countries that are often on US State Dept warnings/advisories, you should know what you're getting into in the larger sense of things...

But a number of these countries are typically not on state dept warnings/advisories. For example. Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Morocco are on the US list but not on the UK list. In fact, of the countries mentioned in the ban, none are considered unsafe places to go. The ones who do have advisories (Somalia, Iraq, Yemen, etc) do not have direct flights to the US.

What I'm wondering is, given that most US terrorists are home grown, what's preventing them from doing this against a domestic flight?

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
kirispupis said:
neuroanatomist said:
takesome1 said:

But a number of these countries are typically not on state dept warnings/advisories. For example. Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Morocco are on the US list but not on the UK list. In fact, of the countries mentioned in the ban, none are considered unsafe places to go. The ones who do have advisories (Somalia, Iraq, Yemen, etc) do not have direct flights to the US.

'Not considered unsafe' by whom? You?

[quote author=US State Department]
We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks.
[/quote]

Sounds a bit unsafe, to me. Countries on the current electronics restriction list for which Travel Warnings have been issued include Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia. I suggest you check your facts before posting.

Upvote 0