Can Canonrumors stop posting body stock notices for Canon USA???

This is now the second time that I followed a post by canon rumors where they said an R3 body was in stock at Canon, Canon USA said it was in stock, took my money, then after told me it was on backorder. Same thing happed with the R5. I don't know if this is bait and switch, or Canon just enjoying holding onto people's money, but clearly Canon USA is not concerned with their misinformation on their web site as to what is in stock. I think until that changes Canon rumors should not aid them in perpetuating these lies. It tarnishes Canon Rumors reputation as much as it does Canon USA.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
Canon USA’s website is not very reliable about updating availability when they sell out their allocation of items in limited supply. But I have no doubt that if they list items being in stock, they did receive some units to sell.

Other forum members have reported successful purchases of both bodies and lenses from Canon USA following the posting of a stock notice here. Unfortunately for you, it seems you were not quick enough on the draw. I wouldn’t expect CRguy to stop posting notices that can generate affiliate link revenue just because you were too slow.

Sorry if that’s harsh, but that’s reality. It’s very obvious that supplies of many items are constrained, Canon has made multiple announcements to that effect. Knowing that, the smart thing to have done would have been to place a pre-order as soon as that was possible. From posts here, it seems everyone who clicked Buy at B&H in the first ~3 hours after preordering went live on 14-Sep at 6a ET had their order filled in late November. I ordered at 6:45a, and I’ve been enjoying my R3 for over a month.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t begrudge CRGuy’s right to seek affiliate revenue, but if you really want to have a good shot at getting limited stock from Canon Direct, you need to register for email notices from Canon Price Watch. That way you will get notified within minutes of stock showing up. Sometimes Canon restocks in the wee hours. In the past I’ve scored an in-demand refurbished lens because I got notified in the middle of the night, immediately got out of bed and ordered.

Upvote 0
Canon USA’s website is not very reliable about updating availability when they sell out their allocation of items in limited supply. But I have no doubt that if they list items being in stock, they did receive some units to sell.

Other forum members have reported successful purchases of both bodies and lenses from Canon USA following the posting of a stock notice here. Unfortunately for you, it seems you were not quick enough on the draw. I wouldn’t expect CRguy to stop posting notices that can generate affiliate link revenue just because you were too slow.

Sorry if that’s harsh, but that’s reality. It’s very obvious that supplies of many items are constrained, Canon has made multiple announcements to that effect. Knowing that, the smart thing to have done would have been to place a pre-order as soon as that was possible. From posts here, it seems everyone who clicked Buy at B&H in the first ~3 hours after preordering went live on 14-Sep at 6a ET had their order filled in late November. I ordered at 6:45a, and I’ve been enjoying my R3 for over a month.

Sorry, but after two tries with two different bodies, I completely don't believe this--especially at a company the size of Canon. It would require a suspension of reality I cannot make. Both times the web site was days behind the true stock--years apart. So they are aware of the lag, but can't figure out a way to solve it? Maybe they should ask a much smaller company like B&H? They seem to be able to handle it.

I have ordered items from canon that are not new and they have delivered those. However I refuse to believe that they haven't left their laggy web site in place for years for any other reason that to capture people's money and hope they don't cancel their orders. Again, this has been going on for years with no fix? Really?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

It may be a little harsh, because I have noticed over the years that Canon's website is not reliable. I have attempted to buy the R mount adapter a few times when either this site or another reported that they were in stock at Canon USA. Using one link, I see that they are listed "in stock." Entering the site in a different way and clicking on the product tells me that they are out of stock. This tells me it is not just a question of being quick enough, but the website itself has some issues - perhaps duplicate pages that are relaying different information.

I do agree, however, that pre-ordering is the way to go. Calling Canon USA "liars" is a bit if a stretch. If you are so concerned with Canon taking or holding your money, call them and cancel and have your money refunded.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sorry, but after two tries with two different bodies, I completely don't believe this--especially at a company the size of Canon. It would require a suspension of reality I cannot make. Both times the web site was days behind the true stock--years apart. So they are aware of the lag, but can't figure out a way to solve it? Maybe they should ask a much smaller company like B&H? They seem to be able to handle it.

I have ordered items from canon that are not new and they have delivered those. However I refuse to believe that they haven't left their laggy web site in place for years for any other reason that to capture people's money and hope they don't cancel their orders. Again, this has been going on for years with no fix? Really?
Yes, a company with an unreliable website, doesn't bother to fix it so they can "hold on to your money," makes a lot of sense. It does nothing for them, but annoys potential customers. Those annoyed customers may be annoyed enough, or in a hurray enough, to get a product from a different brand.

So, advantages to having an unreliable website = none.
Disadvantages to having an unreliable website = possible loss of customers.

Sorry that you have had difficulties, but you may just be better off dealing with Camera stores rather than Canon USA.

But I do agree with you. If I were CR Guy I would either stop posting links to Canon USA for product s reported to be in stock - or certainly add a disclaimer that Canon USA's website is not always reliable.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
However I refuse to believe that they haven't left their laggy web site in place for years for any other reason that to capture people's money and hope they don't cancel their orders.
Since they don’t actually charge a buyer’s credit card until they are preparing the item for shipment, and since they can’t prepare an item for shipment unless they actually have the item to ship, the logic of your claim that they are trying to capture people’s money with a laggy website requires a suspension of reality I cannot make.

Regardless, it’s pretty well established that if you want a high-end new release from Canon, you preorder from B&H or Adorama as soon as possible after preorders open. Or, if you’re lucky enough to live near one of the few local shops left, leverage a relationship with a them to reserve it (most small shops will get 1-2 of whatever it is, and are usually transparent about how many reservations they have). That was true before the pandemic-associated global supply chain problems, it’s even more true now.

Many people do more than one of the above, and cancel their other orders once they get the first shipping notification. That’s why Canon had a few R3 bodies in stock for direct ordering on Black Friday – B&H sent out shipping notifications on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Canon on Black Friday morning, so those who double-ordered canceled their Canon direct preorders.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have attempted to buy the R mount adapter a few times when either this site or another reported that they were in stock at Canon USA. Using one link, I see that they are listed "in stock." Entering the site in a different way and clicking on the product tells me that they are out of stock. This tells me it is not just a question of being quick enough, but the website itself has some issues - perhaps duplicate pages that are relaying different information.
I think it’s still a question of being quick enough. Unless you believe Canon is just randomly listing items they don’t have as being in stock, which seems ridiculous.

There are product pages (with item descriptions, specs, etc.), and there is the online store. Many businesses, small and large, in-license an eCommerce platform to handle the transactional side. I agree that the two should sync up, but anyone who’s worked in a large corporation knows different platforms often don’t, despite complaints from customers and/or employees. Goodness knows I’ve complained about updates to information in one system not propagating to others many times over the years in large companies, with no effect. I’m in a smaller company and now at least when I complain about an issue like that it does get addressed swiftly (which I know has little to do with the size of the company but lots to do with the fact that now the request is coming from the C-suite).

I suspect that when they get something in stock, they manually update both the product page and the store. The eCommerce platform decrements the stock automatically and when it’s gone it shows backordered, but someone has to manually update the product page and that takes longer.

Also, as I mentioned above they don’t charge buyers’ credit cards until they are preparing to ship, so it’s likely they don’t actually subtract the item from the eCommerce stock level until they actually collect their money. If so, there’s a procedural reason for a lag period where something shows as in stock in the online store but all of the stock has actually been ordered (just not yet paid for). That is a much more likely explanation than some sort of malicious intent or even laziness, IMO.

FWIW, when I was looking for an RF 100-500 (but not convinced I’d buy one), I noticed that Amazon would show ‘in stock soon, order now’, then a couple of days later I’d see a Canon stock notice here or someone would mention availability on a thread, but when I would go to Canon USA it showed as In Stock on the product page but backordered in the cart. That pattern repeated a couple of times before I decided to order it (from Amazon as in stock soon; I had the lens in hand 10 days later). Meanwhile, people who had back orders with B&H were saying here they didn’t get one, suggesting their queue is long.

Upvote 0
Since they don’t actually charge a buyer’s credit card until they are preparing the item for shipment, and since they can’t prepare an item for shipment unless they actually have the item to ship, the logic of your claim that they are trying to capture people’s money with a laggy website requires a suspension of reality I cannot make.
This statement is not true when using a debit card. Yes, technically, they don't actually remove the money, but the bank puts a hold on the full amount so I cannot access it. I use the same method of payment at B&H and Adorama and nothing is taken out of my account and nothing is held. So Canon is incapable of doing that? You only have two choices, they are incapable, or they are doing it intentionally. I have a hard time believing they are incapable.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This statement is not true when using a debit card. Yes, technically, they don't actually remove the money, but the bank puts a hold on the full amount so I cannot access it...
Of course if you are a richperson then it probably doesn't matter if they put a hold on the money.

I do not understand though why anyone uses a debit card for online purchases. It seems fraught with peril to me. It's one thing to have a charge card number pilfered, but that usually results in a minor inconvenience (Calling the bank and notifying them so they can issue a new card and cancel the charges), but with a debit card it can totally screw up your checking account for weeks, plus you lose access to the card for local purchases while everything gets straightened out. Not a risk I want to take.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0