Canon 1st Quarter 2024 Financials

You're a hater. I will never again communicate with you!
How can you despise such an advanced high quality professional camera?
Shame on you, you'll soon be indicted for propagating hate against such an innocent cute little camera! :devilish:

Ohh Craig and I were batting around t-shirt ideas. I need a "I'm an R100 hater" t-shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Remember during COVID when new cars were in short supply and the usual dealer discounts were not happening? Even though auto sales declined in terms of unit volume, auto dealer and manufacturer profits saw huge gains.

Companies care about the bottom line more than the top line. If a lens is in short supply, the most likely reason is not that Canon cannot make enough of them, it's that they're choosing not to. Have you noticed that none of the consumer-level (low margin) lenses seem to be in short supply?
There was that report about the rf 50mm f/1.8 being unavailable in some areas.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Update... I've passed by Adorama and met my friendly rep.
When I ordered the RF 200-800 in November he told me that there were 130+ people before me in the queue.
Fast forward to today he told me I am 22nd in the queue right now. This means that Adorama has delivered a bit more than 20 a month so far (I think).
He also told me that the queue is 200+ now, meaning that they have received more preorders than lenses and that the supply situation for the 200-800 hasn’t normalized yet.
He also told me that people are asking about the R5 II, R1 and fast primes all the time, but he has no special info about anything…
Last bit he told me is that the R5 still sells quite well.

FWIW

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Update... I've passed by Adorama and met my friendly rep.
When I ordered the RF 200-800 in November he told me that there were 130+ people before me in the queue.
Fast forward to today he told me I am 22nd in the queue right now. This means that Adorama has delivered a bit more than 20 a month so far (I think).
He also told me that the queue is 200+ now, meaning that they have received more preorders than lenses and that the supply situation for the 200-800 hasn’t normalized yet.
He also told me that people are asking about the R5 II, R1 and fast primes all the time, but he has no special info about anything…
Last bit he told me is that the R5 still sells quite well.

FWIW
It would be interesting to know how 20 lenses a month compares to other lenses at Adorama.

Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
It would be interesting to know how 20 lenses a month compares to other lenses at Adorama.
Indeed but I did not want to overstay my welcome, so to speak :)
The 20 a month figure assumes not many people have dropped from the queue, so it could be lower in reality

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Indeed but I did not want to overstay my welcome, so to speak :)
The 20 a month figure assumes not many people have dropped from the queue, so it could be lower in reality
You're right and it could take all day to discuss what is selling haha

That is a good point but disappointing (but not as bad as 35 1.4:cry::mad::(:cry::mad::(:mad::cry::(o_O:cautious:). I should consider myself lucky that I don't think I'm ready to put it on my list.

• Wow
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
You're right and it could take all day to discuss what is selling haha
Indeed :D what strikes me is the notion that if you order the 200-800 now from Adorama, you are in for a 10-month wait... unless many people drop their orders or Canon ramps up production somehow. I wonder how things are looking for other retailers? I know Adorama isn't thrilled as they would sell more right now if theyhad more to sell.
That is a good point but disappointing (but not as bad as 35 1.4:cry::mad::(:cry::mad::(:mad::cry::(o_O:cautious:). I should consider myself lucky that I don't think I'm ready to put it on my list.
Don't even get me started on the 35! :mad: I guess we're in for an eventful second half of 2024...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Indeed :D what strikes me is the notion that if you order the 200-800 now from Adorama, you are in for a 10-month wait... unless many people drop their orders or Canon ramps up production somehow. I wonder how things are looking for other retailers? I know Adorama isn't thrilled as they would sell more right now if theyhad more to sell.

Don't even get me started on the 35! :mad: I guess we're in for an eventful second half of 2024...
Long backorder queues aren’t good for anyone. At my favourite camera store they call you after ordering to ask if you really want to wait months.
Closing (pre)orders when the queue gets too long would be better, but I’ve heard people whine about that as well.

Anecdote: during this weeks vacation I saw 3 ‘real’ cameras, all Canon DLSRs, the rest used phones. On the ferry back I spotted a Nikon neckstrap.
No gripped cameras with their logos taped off :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Long backorder queues aren’t good for anyone. At my favourite camera store they call you after ordering to ask if you really want to wait months.
Closing (pre)orders when the queue gets too long would be better, but I’ve heard people whine about that as well.
Adorama does not close waiting lists. I think it'd be a bad move as it would encourage clients to look somewhere else. It does mean an overhead of course (they have to periodically charge and refund $1 on your card to keep the order "alive".
Anecdote: during this weeks vacation I saw 3 ‘real’ cameras, all Canon DLSRs, the rest used phones. On the ferry back I spotted a Nikon neckstrap.
No gripped cameras with their logos taped off :)
In Manhattan I always see someone with a "proper" camera. Here you can see all sorts, including Fujis, Leicas, etc. But I'd say that (unscientific observation) Canon and Sony dominate, with some Nikons sprinkled in and the rest are outliers. As you'd expect. But it has changed with time. Often I am the only one lugging a camera.
Obviously tourists use cameras less and less (if you exclude phone cameras), but in certain environments, like if you go to a wildlife observation spot, people are still sporting serious equipment. I do fashion shoots and photographers still use cameras. But when I do group fashion shoots (rarely) my Hasselblad is always a talking point :cool:

Upvote 0