Canon 24-70 f/4 IS Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrCDE said:
Truly amazin how many people pass comments on equipment they have never used or let alone seen.
Perhaps people want a lighter lens, want IS for a multitude of reasons, or like the smaller size...need i go on.
I use it and find the image quality to be excellent. all that matter right??
Happy shooting all.
Do you notice the lens hood loose at all? Drove me nuts but I'm not sure if I had a bad hood or something. It was enough for me to feel movement in the hood and enough for it to make noise when I moved it around. Just wondering if my lens was the only one or this is how they are made.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
beansauce said:
Who cares anyhow... not many here will buy it anyway when the 24-70 II is a few hundred more and provides optical quality far superior than any other L zoom in Canons portfolio.

The f/2.8 II costs $ 800 more than the f/4 - that the price for one 24-105!

beansauce said:
We will see the price elasticity of the 24/70 f4 adjust QUICKLY, which will eventually supplement the 6D and other lower tiered FF bodies as a kit lens and possibly kick the 24-105 out on its own as an option just like any other L lens. I also think we will see he price of the 24-105 increase when it is no longer packaged as a kit lens. There is no reason why an L zoom like the 24/70 f4, with its inferior optical quality, is priced more than the 24-105.

I get the feeling that if the 24-70 f/4 lens comes as a kit Canon will probably retire the 24-105. After all, one is compelled to wonder where will the 24-105 f/4 fit in? OTOH, it is quite possible that Canon may give both lenses as alternate kit lens.

If the IQ ultimately turns out even equivalent (hope???), I guess people will go for the 24-70 for a good kit lens with the 0.71x magnification (supposed Macro mode).

I agree though that I don't see why the 24-70 f/4 is priced so high as compared to the 24-105 f/4 with zero (probably negative) improvement in IQ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.