Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Re: Canon 35mm F2 IS

Jesse said:
NSFW

https://500px.com/photo/93906289/apartment-scene-by-jesse-herzog?from=user_library

Great use of the 35mm wide open. It's my favorite lens for apartment shoots, especially with available light.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar

Andrew Davies Photography said:
35mm%20f2%20IS.jpg

North East and Yorkshire Wedding Photographer www.andrew-davies.com

Canon 5dmk3 + 35mm f2 IS @ f6.3 iso400
very nice capture Andrew!
35mm f/2 IS never stops to surprise me. It is just an incredible lens. This is the prime that spent most time on my 5D3, second is the 100L. I was considering the 35A but the price, size and weight of the 35A makes the 35 f/2 IS a much more portable lens for street photography and the IS comes very handy

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013

e17paul said:
This thread is inspiring. The 35 IS has just sailed past the 100L to the top of my wish list.

The current 35L seems almost pointless.

Unless you really need f/1.4 and are willing to accept inferior bokeh highlights for that aperture, I would say yes the current 35L is pointless. The bokeh highlights have that dated angular look on the 35L unlike the 35 IS.

Until Canon updates the f/1.4L, I would always recommend the f/2 IS to anyone who asks my advice for this focal length.

On a side note, this is a fantastic lens for street photography in the city due to the focal length, small size, and high quality.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I really love this lens for indoor glamour/boudoir shoots in confined spaces. If I go to my 28mm lens, there tends to be too much distortion of the body proportions. 35mm is just right. The Image Stabilization is nice to have when working indoors under available light and the F/2 aperture gives a nice background blur. I'm sure the 35 L2 or the Sigma Art lens are sharper, but if you are photographing women, you really don't want them to be ultra sharp. You can still count the eyelashes, that's sharp enough for me.

If you can handle some NSFW 18+ images, you are welcome to check out this blog post for more photos of this lovely lady.

http://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2016/5/a-boudoir-photographer-makes-a-house-call

p1920585188-4.jpg

Upvote 0

Ruined said:
e17paul said:
This thread is inspiring. The 35 IS has just sailed past the 100L to the top of my wish list.

The current 35L seems almost pointless.

Unless you really need f/1.4 and are willing to accept inferior bokeh highlights for that aperture, I would say yes the current 35L is pointless. The bokeh highlights have that dated angular look on the 35L unlike the 35 IS.

Until Canon updates the f/1.4L, I would always recommend the f/2 IS to anyone who asks my advice for this focal length.

On a side note, this is a fantastic lens for street photography in the city due to the focal length, small size, and high quality.

Considering whether go for 35mmL mk I or 35mmIS.
Would do some street photography and some indoor portrait shoot.
IS should be more useful than large aperture for my purpose.

Upvote 0