Canon 5D Mark II RAW Video (achieved with Magic Lantern)

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
VERY NICE!!

That was very exciting to watch...I was gripping my seat on some scenes when getting close to the edge with no rail!!
:O

Can you give details on your workflow with RAW/ML? Did you use Davinci Resolve to do your intake and color correction/grading? What did you edit in...did you roundtrip with different apps?

Fun watch and welcome to the forum!!

cayenne

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
VERY NICE!!
(...)
Thanks! I appreciate your support! :)

cayenne said:
Can you give details on your workflow with RAW/ML? Did you use Davinci Resolve to do your intake and color correction/grading? What did you edit in...did you roundtrip with different apps?

Concerning the RAW/ML Workflow:
I shot with a 5D Mark II with Magic Lantern 2.3 plus an alpha build version for RAW video. The shooting time is limited at about 15-20 secs, which results in a 2GB large file. This file can be converted into multiple .dng files (every frame = one file (2MB)) by the program raw2dng. I have edited these files in Lightroom with batch processing, then I have exported these files to .jpg and then imported those in Premiere Pro.
That means I did every color correction in Lightroom which was very nice for me, because I have just limited experience in color correction for video and so I was able to work like I'm used to with my photos!

For the other shots (GoPro and Contour) I have just applied a bit sharpness and the standard Premiere Pro effect "Lumtri (cinema 1)", so I did not use Davinci Resolve.

regards
Basilius

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Basilius said:
cayenne said:
VERY NICE!!
(...)
Thanks! I appreciate your support! :)

cayenne said:

Concerning the RAW/ML Workflow:
I shot with a 5D Mark II with Magic Lantern 2.3 plus an alpha build version for RAW video. The shooting time is limited at about 15-20 secs, which results in a 2GB large file. This file can be converted into multiple .dng files (every frame = one file (2MB)) by the program raw2dng. I have edited these files in Lightroom with batch processing, then I have exported these files to .jpg and then imported those in Premiere Pro.
That means I did every color correction in Lightroom which was very nice for me, because I have just limited experience in color correction for video and so I was able to work like I'm used to with my photos!

For the other shots (GoPro and Contour) I have just applied a bit sharpness and the standard Premiere Pro effect "Lumtri (cinema 1)", so I did not use Davinci Resolve.

regards
Basilius

Thanks for the info...again, very fun to watch!

I've got a 5D3....waiting for ML to get out of Alpha stage before trying that..but watching and reading on it.

I'd seen that the new version of free Davinci Resolve 10, can natively take on the DNG files you create out of raw2dng...and you can convert there to prores or whatever you like..and start the roundtrip routing with your editor to color corrector....I'm wanting to try that when I can.

Again, thanks for the video and the reply!!

K

Upvote 0