Canon 5Ds & 5Dsr: Shipping date confusion!!

MARKOE PHOTOE said:
The original information I heard was end of May or June 5th. I placed my order for both on the night of the release so hopefully I'm in the first batch of shipments.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago I heard 'end of June' which is total bummer b/c we planned our vacation for 'end of June' and I would be very disappointed if it was not with me for our trip to the mountains.

Do you think that taking a newly released camera that you are not familiar with would be a good idea for a vacation? I would think that using a camera you are familiar with would be best for a vacation.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
The original information I heard was end of May or June 5th. I placed my order for both on the night of the release so hopefully I'm in the first batch of shipments.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago I heard 'end of June' which is total bummer b/c we planned our vacation for 'end of June' and I would be very disappointed if it was not with me for our trip to the mountains.

Do you think that taking a newly released camera that you are not familiar with would be a good idea for a vacation? I would think that using a camera you are familiar with would be best for a vacation.

Besides new functions, the 5DS/r is exactly the same as a 5D3. Nothing new about the interface, or button locations. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a 5DS the day before leaving for vacation myself - if I was accustomed to a 5D3. ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2013
firegs said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:

Besides new functions, the 5DS/r is exactly the same as a 5D3. Nothing new about the interface, or button locations. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a 5DS the day before leaving for vacation myself - if I was accustomed to a 5D3. ;D ;D ;D

I wouldn't chance bringing a brand new camera on a trip w/o a backup. There's a risk that something could be defective w/ the new one. Bring something that's been reliable over time. If you don't want to bring two camera bodies, I would still bring the 5D3. Or, before the trip, test the hell out of that new camera until you feel confident that it's not defective and bring it on the trip.

Upvote 0
bereninga said:
firegs said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:

I wouldn't chance bringing a brand new camera on a trip w/o a backup. There's a risk that something could be defective w/ the new one. Bring something that's been reliable over time. If you don't want to bring two camera bodies, I would still bring the 5D3. Or, before the trip, test the hell out of that new camera until you feel confident that it's not defective and bring it on the trip.

I meant that all things being equal (and not defective), it shouldn't be any different. :)

Upvote 0
I just spoke to a B&H Live Chat rep who informed me that the 5DS/R may not be available until "the end of June, Early July."

Notice that the "June 2015" date has been removed from the B&H site pages. :-[

I also just spoke to an Adorama Live Chat rep who told me that despite their site saying both June 2015, and "06/05/2015" - that it will be "End of June".

I wouldn't expect shipping notices any time soon within the US, folks. =\

Upvote 0
benperrin said:
Any idea on an Australian release date? I thought it was going to be June 30 (approx) but I'm not sure it would be so different to the dates suggested in this thread. I still haven't placed an order as most places in Australia still don't list the actual price of the camera but instead allow you to place a $500 deposit and claim that they'll give you a competitive price.

The Digital Camera Warehouse says that they'll be available from "mid-June", 5Ds = AUD$4,988.

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Wonder why a developing Asian country like Indonesia have their launch on May 30th?

11376282_1583500285257126_1053856126_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Machaon said:
benperrin said:
Any idea on an Australian release date? I thought it was going to be June 30 (approx) but I'm not sure it would be so different to the dates suggested in this thread. I still haven't placed an order as most places in Australia still don't list the actual price of the camera but instead allow you to place a $500 deposit and claim that they'll give you a competitive price.

The Digital Camera Warehouse says that they'll be available from "mid-June", 5Ds = AUD$4,988.

Hope that helps...
Ha. That's one of the places I was talking about only listed it as a $500 deposit. Glad they've changed it over the last few days. Sadly their price isn't very good so I'll be going elsewhere. I have a feeling too that the release date isn't all that accurate but at least we are getting closer.

Upvote 0
Machaon said:
PhilA said:
Direct from Canon Australia - 15th June.

So announcement to availability = 4 1/3 months

Your point being? They said right from the first day on that it will be available in June. Nothing wrong about that, only the announcement was a bit early regarding other cameras in the past.

Upvote 0