Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trygved

Should you wait for a better camera, in the time it takes for that said camera to come out you'll be tipped on another better camera.
My motto is hunt for the best deal now, and when you're looking to upgrade, sell to somebody who doesn't search as hard as you do. There will always be that person, and the loss you may take will be minimal and worth the time for which you've used the equipment.

Upvote 0
I

Immaculens

I'd wait to see what the 60D replacement looks like before pulling the 7D trigger.

the new 650D just inherited the 'older' 40D/50D/60D cross-type focus system which clears the way for the new 60D replacement to inherit something similar to the current 7D AF system. Yummy.

The 60D replacement (no guarantee it will be called the 70D... could be 65D or 60D mkII for all we know) starting block will be the 650D specs but with better AF system, maybe digic5+, hopefully lens microadjust like the 50D had...

Yet - the 7D will have to still have appeal over the 60D replacement or why buy the 7D... unless Canon is willing to accept that and offer a new wow model...

the new 7D's FW 2.0 was put out mainly, IMO, so the premium 7D owners would not feel 100% jilted when the new 60D replacement comes out

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
RC said:
RLPhoto said:
You mileage may vary, but I could see a 70D in the near future for less.

I expect the the 70D will follow the specs more closely from the 60D than the 7D. No AFMA, etc., etc.

Expect the un-expected. The 70D will be the 7D and the 7Dmk2 will be a new camera. When their released, the 7D prices will plummet, which is an even better reason to wait.

Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity. The only time I would buy a 7D body now is if the price is around 800-900$, as to minimize the loss when the newer models are released.

Patience snagged me my 5D3 for 3,099 Non-grey market, USA warranty, brand New.

If you don't need it, but want it, Waiting is worth it. If you need it, your not asking this question.

Upvote 0
Generally people advocate that you buy now, on these boards. The idea being that life goes on, and if you need it now, then you need it now. The problem with this is that there is no shortage of camera resources in the world today. So not having a 7D probably doesn't mean you won't be taking pictures.

My policy has been to wait, and since Canon has been releasing refreshers on equipment very frequently it's been a good policy. I also got an eye on the 7D for wildlife photography, and I'm happy to wait.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
RC said:
RLPhoto said:

I expect the the 70D will follow the specs more closely from the 60D than the 7D. No AFMA, etc., etc.

Expect the un-expected. The 70D will be the 7D and the 7Dmk2 will be a new camera. When their released, the 7D prices will plummet, which is an even better reason to wait.

Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity. The only time I would buy a 7D body now is if the price is around 800-900$, as to minimize the loss when the newer models are released.

Patience snagged me my 5D3 for 3,099 Non-grey market, USA warranty, brand New.

If you don't need it, but want it, Waiting is worth it. If you need it, your not asking this question.

Who says the 7D prices will plummet? What do you know that the rest of us do not? You use the word 'WILL' in a positive statement instead of a normative one. It might fall, or perhaps it should fall if a new similarly priced (operative word there was the same price) 70D or 7D2 is released. Then again, Canon's policy is to bump up the price by at least 50% for newer models (just look at price gaps between T2i and T3i and T4i or the fact that the 5D3 costs 2x price of a 5D2).

I would love to have a serious money bet with you on the price of the 7D for early-2013, I could use my winnings to buy another L lens.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dilbert said:
RLPhoto said:
RC said:
RLPhoto said:

Repeat, there is no guarantee that the 7D MkII will ever come about. There have even been rumors saying that it is a one off.

Patience is nice but neither time nor the world waits.

What do I mean by that?

I saw an amazing sunset the other night but I didn't have a camera with me. There's no order book in nature to say "give me another one of those tomorrow night when I'm ready." Rinse and repeat throughout life in everything from the big to the small.

Do you seriously believe that canon, one of the largest camera manufacturers in the world, is not going to ever replace there flagship APS-C camera with a newer model any time in the future? Either it be a 70D or a 7D2 or some other model number? Because that's what your implying.

On the sunset, no camera on the planet would have mattered if you forgot it.

As for prices plummeting, simple example.

5D2 prices before 5D3 - 2200$+

5d2 prices after 5D3 - 1500$+

Get the picture?

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
dilbert said:
RLPhoto said:
RC said:
RLPhoto said:

Repeat, there is no guarantee that the 7D MkII will ever come about. There have even been rumors saying that it is a one off.

What do I mean by that?

I saw an amazing sunset the other night but I didn't have a camera with me. There's no order book in nature to say "give me another one of those tomorrow night when I'm ready." Rinse and repeat throughout life in everything from the big to the small.

Do you seriously believe that canon, one of the largest camera manufacturers in the world, is not going to ever replace there flagship APS-C camera with a newer model any time in the future? Either it be a 70D or a 7D2 or some other model number? Because that's what your implying.

Get the picture?

Canon 5D Mark II last Christmas was €1,689 from one of the cheapest online discount retailers in Europe. Today it is 10 euros MORE, despite the newer 5D Mark III (see below)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/f-CANON-EOS-5D-Mark-II-MII-M-II-GARANTIE-EUROPE-4-ANS-CAMERA-BODY-NEUF-/180949816886?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Photo_AppareilsNumeriques&hash=item2a21731636#ht_5585wt_1388

I bought my EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens off this retailer for €1,029...now the cheapest USED price in my country is €1,200 to €1,300 for a 7 year old lens.

So get the picture! 5D mark II prices are still the same in UK & Ireland that they were 9 months ago. The USA is not the world.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
DB said:
RLPhoto said:
dilbert said:
RLPhoto said:
RC said:
RLPhoto said:

What do I mean by that?

Get the picture?

Canon 5D Mark II last Christmas was €1,689 from one of the cheapest online discount retailers in Europe. Today it is 10 euros MORE, despite the newer 5D Mark III (see below)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/f-CANON-EOS-5D-Mark-II-MII-M-II-GARANTIE-EUROPE-4-ANS-CAMERA-BODY-NEUF-/180949816886?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Photo_AppareilsNumeriques&hash=item2a21731636#ht_5585wt_1388

I bought my EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens off this retailer for €1,029...now the cheapest USED price in my country is €1,200 to €1,300 for a 7 year old lens.

So get the picture! 5D mark II prices are still the same in UK & Ireland that they were 9 months ago. The USA is not the world.

I can find the best deals in local classifieds or even craigslist. Don't expect those A+ prices from evilbay, even though its possible to get good deals.

Online isn't the only option to purchase gear. Unfortunately, Europe isn't the world either and I only speak for the US side of pricing.

None the less, waiting is the best.

If you find a steal of a price for a 7D, Go for it, It will minimize the Rot later but that deal may take weeks or months before you see it. When you do, get it but be aware the prices will be even lower when the new flagship is released.

Upvote 0
I have been sitting on the fence for almost a year at this point.

The only thing I think the 7D needs upgraded is the Digic 5 / Digic 5+ sensors
Wasn't/Isn't the 7D a crop/prosumer 1DMIV,
So we thinking the 7D replacement will be a 1Dx with crop.

I want the frame rate of the dual sensors, and have considered both the 60D & 4Ti
I just can't seem to pull the trigger on those (but haven't pulled on the 7D either)

I am thinking I will wait till the Q4'12 timeframe and see where prices go.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
erda said:
RLPhoto

Please tell us where we can buy new 5d2s for $1500. I'll buy one for that price.

There was a few in the San Antonio area for that on Craigslist. There is a couple of 5d2s for 1650 right now.

Upvote 0
L

liquidcool

First, congrats to the OP for scoring a deal. $1200 body and $300 lens + card for $1350 is a great deal.

BTW, for those quoting $1500USD for the body, you are apparently unaware of shopping comparison engines like Shopzilla or Google Shopping. It's a $1200 body at 42photo.com and Primotronix. At least the former has excellent rating on resellerratings.com.

I'm in a similar boat, only I don't have a backup SLR. I've been going over the facts and it looks like we're headed for a 7D price drop within a few months. I may not be a photography expert, but I am a retail/enterprise ecommerce consultant and use that experience to guide me.

The 7D is aging and even the T4i has advantages:

• smaller/lighter (nice for many)
  • DIGIC 5 - better noise reduction, in camera HDR
  • less shutter lag (according to B&H specs)
  • better screen - higher res, touch screen, articulated
  • EyeFi wireless
  • speaker
  • $450 cheaper

I know, some of you do not consider all of those advantages, and I don't care to argue about it. My point is that it compresses the lineup, which certainly will give Canon execs pause when considering new additions. The 60D barely has room to fit. Common sense dictates that:

- if the 70D is released, 7D price will drop
- if the 7D MKII is released, 7D price will drop
- if the 6D is released, 7D price will drop
- on Black Friday, 7D price will drop

All 3 mythical cameras will have to tread on 7D territory in order to be a clear win over the T4i and 60D. Even if the first 3 don't happen as rumored at Photokina or the ceremonial Oct. Christmas toy announcements, you'll find some great deals on Black Friday. I assume BF happens wherever Christmas is commercialized.

Personally, the biggest advantage I can see in the 7D over T4i is the wireless flash control, because the new transmitter and flash you have to buy for the T4i to get the same functionality is almost $1K combined. That's not all, of course, but for my purposes (mostly indoor portrait/event photography), not a whole lot. It's also the main thing the 60D has over the T4i, as they cost the same now.

Upvote 0
Well, I bet I win the most patient award here. I'm still working on wearing out my first "real" digital camera, the Rebel XT. It's been a great learning machine and I have certainly cultivated my interest and my skill since I bought it several years ago, along with the 28-135 lens, which I have loved for it's versatility. I wanted to get more wide angle shots and picked up the 10-22mm, which is pretty great for the crop sensor. Oh, and I jumped on the 580EX II Flash when that came out. Wow, has THAT made a difference when taking photos around the poorly lit house here in Oregon!

I'm not a Pro, not making money at it, and not interested in any one particular kind of shoot. I like the best shot I can get, but not at the expense of having the versatility of the zoom. I like to shoot while hiking or going downtown or taking pictures of my family. I have no plans to sell my photos. I just want to have fun taking them and sharing them. If I can afford better tools, I'll get the best ones I can afford because I know in any discipline, the right tool for the job is always going to make doing the job more fun. :)

So, I've listened carefully to the advice here talking about investing in Lenses first, but last year I had a dilemma. With $2,000 cash in hand to spend on my hobby, should I get the 7D or the brand spankin' new 70-200mm f2.8L IS II that had just come out. Knowing that Camera bodies get updated much faster than Lenses, I opted to just keep on using my old Rebel XT and bought that insanely awesome lens. I could only manage to do that with the intention of upgrading to the best Camera Body I could afford when the time was right.

I guess, luckily for me, the time still isn't right. Maybe by next Spring I will be ready to make the move up, assuming my XT holds together for that long. That huge lens, even though I am careful about holding the lens and not relying on the camera, makes the plastic body creak under it's weight sometimes. I get great shots with that lens that I could never have gotten with my 28-135, but I know it will only be that much more amazing when I can affix that cannon of a Canon Lens to my next Canon Camera. :)

So, I am holding on, watching and waiting to see what comes out next. Anything would be an upgrade for me at this point, but I prefer to invest at the top of the prosumer range. So, I'll be looking for whatever the next top of the line crop sensor camera, which I can still use my wide angle lens with, that will be sturdy and allow me to get a good 6-8 years use from it.

My next goal, hopefully by Xmas 2013, after I get my next camera in the Spring, is to add the 100mm f2.8L IS Macro (plus a yet to be determined macro flash). I would replace my 28-135 with a 24-70 II, but I'd rather be able to take great Macro shots and try to get by using primarily my incredible 70-200, so I think I can wait on upgrading that "range" until I can swing it.

Once I have that, all that's left is a really long range lens. By then, probably three or four years from now, I'll be able to score one of those 200-400mm lenses (and forego a trip to Europe).

Oh, yes....after that, then I will be saving up for the next/next Camera Body upgrade......and that will probably be full frame....and then I will have to replace my wide angle lens with a higher quality and ff compatible lens.

I suppose after that I'll have to start working on putting together the new Holographic camera outfit or my kids will be laughing at my old timer flat photos! :(

Good thing I am patient. And persistent too. This hobby is damn expensive. But fun! LOL

Upvote 0
L

Louie_C.

paul13walnut5 said:
@Jason

A refreshing attitude. It's an old chesnut, but how many of us really need anything beyond 6MP? I mean really need?

I don't!
I wish you and your XT health and many more clicks!

I'm a convert from the dark side looking to start fresh. Here, in Canada, the pricing is just about the same for 7D + 17-55mm 2.8 or the 5D MKII + 24-105 (Kit). 5D MK3 is priced well above and I'm just stepping into the semi-pro realm. Some say there is no comparison between APS-C and FF. I would like my jump to Canon to be meaningful so wanting to go FF.

My main focus would not be sports or action but wouldn't mind at least having the ability to shoot some action, everyone seems to blast the 5D MKII's ageing 9point AF, hence the 7D consideration.

The other issue is flash... Both systems do not have all the functionality available to take advantage of the new RT system. The 580EX II is discontinued and the 430EX II seems to get the thumbs down as a flash for the 5D MKII. The 7D has a built in flash and the 5D needs at least the 430 EX II.

Torn. Help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.