Canon adds two new lenses to the short supply list

Aug 10, 2021
I

I refer back to my previous comment of reading comprehension. You’re shouting at a cloud now. I’m saying Canon doesn’t have interest in developing fast lenses for APS-C. Not once did I say they cared about me personally nor was that ever inferred. Haha Would you not agree that a camera system is complete when it offers a full range of lenses? From affordable to more boutique? Their full frame lenses certainly cover that and always have. Canon has never built out their APS-C lens lineup. Therefore, I conclude that Canon doesn’t care to develop their APS-C line and shows no indication they ever will. They’re perfectly happy with an incomplete, beginner/consumer lens selection. This has nothing to do with knowing camera markets, as it’s obviously an incomplete lens lineup by any metric. They sell plenty sub-$1000 cameras and slow lenses and creating a fast standard zoom is not worth Canon’s R&D to do so. I made my opinion on an observation. You’ve told me both my opinion and observation are wrong because I don’t know the camera market? Right.

No company must sell everything from affordable through boutique. Look at the product ranges of Leica or Hasselblad. If you like Fuji, that's great. There are people buying Canon APS-C Camera and lenses that aren't prima donnas, unfortunately for everyone reading your comments, it's not you.

In case you didn't notice, the different manufacturers are choosing to specialize in the market. Fuji isn't selling fullframe/35mm sensors anymore. I certainly am not critical of their choice and I doubt any other reasonable person would be either.

I don't know anything about you or what kind of successful business you have, but so far, I am inclined to believe you don't understand Canon's business stratagy as well as you think.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No company must sell everything from affordable through boutique. Look at the product ranges of Leica or Hasselblad. If you like Fuji, that's great. There are people buying Canon APS-C Camera and lenses that aren't prima donnas, unfortunately for everyone reading your comments, it's not you.

In case you didn't notice, the different manufacturers are choosing to specialize in the market. Fuji isn't selling fullframe/35mm sensors anymore. I certainly am not critical of their choice and I doubt any other reasonable person would be either.

I don't know anything about you or what kind of successful business you have, but so far, I am inclined to believe you don't understand Canon's business stratagy as well as you think.
Well said! :)

Upvote 0
Canon, as you have stated many times in the past, knows their market much better than any of us.
We make this assumption but no company is omnipotent and mistakes can be frequent and not all of them are obvious as X/twitter
I am just an average Joe who likes photography. But I am also Not a troll. It is just disappointing recently it seems like the industry keeps on coming out saying tat demand was higher than they thought it would be.
Better higher than Canon thought than lower. Canon doesn't want to keep unsold stock on a shelf

Manufacturing or component supply chain restraints would be the only reason why Canon is not producing more. They would increase production if they could of course.

Imagine the millions of iPhones etc that are manufactured in advance of their annual announcement to satisfy the punters in the first week.
Imagine Apple's board approving the reported $1B that they paid TSMC upfront to guarantee 3nm capacity in their newest fab just for their A17/M3 chips.
Even more so with Tesla investing in lithium production facilities and even lithium mining companies to guarantee future supply from "friend-shored" countries.
Guaranteeing military purchases of chips from new fabs being built in Europe/Japan/US with substantial government subsidies on national security grounds.

The point is that the leadtime for essential components can be long, complex and expensive.
That said, the shortages of cheap/ubiquitous display driver chips would have "driven" car companies (and their sourcing managers) insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One thing I don't understand about Fuji MF system is that they don't have a UWA lens even though landscapers love the images from their sensors.
Having to stitch panos is just another potential loss of quality even if PTgui appears to be magical at times.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Incidentally, out of curiosity... has anyone received the 10-20 f/4L IS they have pre-ordered?
The first batch should have been shipped to clients the day of the announcement of the other 3 new lenses... so just wondering if anyone has any first impressions to share.
Mine hasn't been shipped yet :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Incidentally, out of curiosity... has anyone received the 10-20 f/4L IS they have pre-ordered?
The first batch should have been shipped to clients the day of the announcement of the other 3 new lenses... so just wondering if anyone has any first impressions to share.
Mine hasn't been shipped yet :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Thank you I missed that - well, at least it means it has actually started shipping when they said it would. That's good.
Now I just have to be patient :coffee:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And I'm still hoping my wonderful-beautiful-plentiful 2,8/24-105 will be delivered before April 2024.
I'm burning with hot desire... (poetic, isn't it?)
I ordered mine 2 minutes after the announcement, so I'm hoping to get it from the first batch in December, assuming Canon ships on time.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I ordered mine 2 minutes after the announcement, so I'm hoping to get it from the first batch in December, assuming Canon ships on time.
Lucky you!
Fortunately, I'm not really in a hurry, mountain hiking season starts end of March, or rather mid-April. I should get it in time...
Normally, I would have waited for serious reviews, but I'm confident this lens will keep its promises. I want it so much!
Much more than Tamron's beautiful 35-150 :rolleyes:

Upvote 0