Canon and Zeiss Lenses for Video Vincent Laforet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Vincent Laforet is a Pulitzer prize winning photographer who has switched from still cameras to video. He is a Canon maker of Light, so he will always favor Canon --- right? He works with all popular brands of Cinema Cameras, film and digital, as well as lenses from inexpensive Canon lenses like the 24-70 L to uber high end lenses that you rent but do not buy.

But wait, he tells it as it is and backs it up with images. The pros and cons spelled out for many of you who ask the same question over and over, here is a opinion of a pro filmmaker.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/04/09/new-zeiss-wide-angle-slr-lenses-and-how-they-stack-up-against-their-canon-ef-counterparts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wordpress%2FjvaG+%28Vincent+Laforet%27s+Blog%29

Mar 25, 2011
Axilrod said:
Laforet pretty much lucked out to get his cred in the motion picture world. I mean he had a 5DII before it was even announced and shot a pretty crappy short that had pretty bokeh, people found out it was less than $3k, had aneurysm and the rest was history. Now people act like he is a god of motion and he's shot what? A few commercials and a few shorts?

Laforet only gets this much attention now because of the absolutely insane amount of money he spends on gear. I mean this dude has every single new high-tech thing, multiple copies of the same bodies and lenses, $60,000 video cameras, insane rigs, motion controlled stuff, I mean the guy seriously is probably close to $1 million in gear. I just don't see what he could be doing to end up with that much money, it is seriously ridiculous how much gear he has.

At least, learn what you are talking about. Show us your awards and experience to be qualified to make comments like that. Here is a bit of his photography history. He grew up on a movie set, and had more knowledge about film making while a teenager than most of us will ever have.

http://idesignyoureyes.com/2011/01/21/one-on-one-interview-with-vincent-laforet/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
prestonpalmer said:
Axilrod said:
...the guy seriously is probably close to $1 million in gear. I just don't see what he could be doing to end up with that much money, it is seriously ridiculous how much gear he has.

Most of this equipment is given to him for testing before it makes it to the market. He probably spends next to nothing on gear.

I wonder how you know this? Do you suscribe to his blog, or are you just assuming. He had a online garage sale last year where he sold a ton of his personal gear that was not going to be used in video.

I'm sure he gets lots of free trinkes and accessories, and he says so when he reviews them, but he does not get free big dollar items, he rents them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.