Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Gordon Laing, in his video reveal of the R3's announcement, wondered aloud, "I wonder if there's some kind of physical spec limiting all three manufacturers to state 30 fps?"

As it happens, that spec looks like it's the read/write speed of CF Express cards...which are pretty much maxed out by shooting raw 30 FPS at 45 megapixels, depending on the exact file size.

It's such a small sidenote in the video, and I doubt he knows more than we do, but I suddenly really do believe that this camera is 45-ish megapixels. If Canon went for 24 megapixels, why not blow up the FPS even higher as a statement if CF express can handle 60 FPS at 24 megapixels?
I think you might be on to something there!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Gordon Laing, in his video reveal of the R3's announcement, wondered aloud, "I wonder if there's some kind of physical spec limiting all three manufacturers to state 30 fps?"

As it happens, that spec looks like it's the read/write speed of CF Express cards...which are pretty much maxed out by shooting raw 30 FPS at 45 megapixels, depending on the exact file size.

It's such a small sidenote in the video, and I doubt he knows more than we do, but I suddenly really do believe that this camera is 45-ish megapixels. If Canon went for 24 megapixels, why not blow up the FPS even higher as a statement if CF express can handle 60 FPS at 24 megapixels?
you get to the point where aperture blades can't open and close fast enough so you would have to use stop-down AF, instead of wide open AF which would also limit then your AF sensitivity, if you needed to shoot with your lens stopped down a bit. there's also the physical time it takes to move the lens elements when you AF in between the shots as well.
So even if they get rid of the shutter, there's still at least for now, other mechanical pieces that would limit frame rates.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Canon's R&D was further along than many believed it to be. A BSI camera just pops up, unexpected, much like 8K on the R5.
indeed!
I would have bet money on canon not being ready to do a stacked CMOS (which by nature of how you stack a sensor, pretty much has to be BSI).
Canon skipped at least 2 steps there.

I was curious on the statement in the press release where it's simply a "canon designed sensor", however Canon UK states "The first EOS to feature an entirely new stacked BSI CMOS sensor designed and manufactured by Canon"

All I can say is .. well freaking done Canon.

And Sony's going .. ah crap, we thought we had them.

Also one thing that no one has mentioned is that with a much faster scan rate, Canon can also deliver much better AF performance. when you consider that you can argue that the R5 is already class-leading in terms of auto focus, and now you're going to make it even faster. Yikes.

One thing about it - is that if Canon can do stacked CMOS sensors, then I'd say it's a very very great possibility that the R1 is going to be global shutter. There's absolutely no reason it wouldn't be.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Here is an R3 vs 1DX III comparison where I have made the throat diameters the same.

As an aside, the visible part of the R3 battery is exactly the same shape and size as the 1D X III/II/I
That's interesting. It also looks like the button layout which is certainly 1 series'ish, is a little different especially on the right hand side of the image.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I love Eye Control Focus. I can’t imagine what this is like using intelligent machine learning on top of almost full sensor AF.
I freaking hated it with the EOS-3 and Elan, and it's going to be worse now because I wear photochromatic progressive bifocals.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Here is an R3 vs 1DX III comparison where I have made the throat diameters the same.

As an aside, the visible part of the R3 battery is exactly the same shape and size as the 1D X III/II/I
View attachment 196952

This is an excellent size. Even a few CM is going to make the R3 even more portable than the 1-series, this could probably fit in several bags that wouldn't previously accept a full-gripped camera. I almost wonder if the integrated grip is slightly smaller than an R5 with a battery grip attached? That might make a good case as to why it's a good idea to integrate it, vs the need for extra room when it's external.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
They still need a mechanical shutter unless new Canon technology can sync a flash to an electronic shutter.
Not really, with a stacked sensor. The A1 can flash sync at 1/200th in electronic shutter, thanks to the super-fast stacked sensor readout. I'd bet that Canon also has that in the bag, if not faster, if they were already just sitting on all this stacked sensor tech.

Again though, I'm not saying they would remove the mechanical shutter, I'm just saying that they could use a cheaper one, like an R5/R6 shutter, instead of a 1DX shutter, which would cost more to produce. Why bother with the 1D shutter in this if everything can be done well electronically?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Good grief, this doesn't answer many of my own questions!

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras. "

I forget who said it in the last thread, but they were bang on when they guessed that Canon was trying its best to not "replace" the 1DX immediately.

Considering that this is a stacked sensor dual-pixel design, I definitely think the R1 is still coming further down the line with a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. The only question is if that's next year or the year after.

This is going to make my choices much more difficult. I was sold on replacing my 1DX2 with an R1, but clearly Canon isn't yet ready to call this camera a 1-series camera if they say it's between the R5 and 1DX in their lineup.
Spot on. They had me until they said between the R5 and 1DXIII.
Still a lot of great features, but I'm thinking this will be around 6K to $6500.00 USD (just my guess), and I love my 1DX, and, I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve for the R5. I'm thinking that the cameras I have now are better than I am, and I have so much to learn, I'll hold off for the R1.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Here is a Canon Japan video with some imagery of the new lenses and through the lens shots from the macro lens including a demo of the spherical aberration adjustment and its effect on bokeh. There is also a bit more information about the R3 but unfortunately it's all in Japanese so perhaps someone here can translate some of it. I've primed the YouTube link to begin at 9 minutes and 26 seconds where the product information begins. The rest of the video is about the new Canon house showroom.

Canon Japan

Thanks for posting this link. Auto-translate widget in youtube does a pretty decent job. For the 100 macro, the quick demo of reduced focus breathing is also impressive. The video talks about release dates in July 2021 for these lenses.

(Not to be pedantic, but here's how to get to auto-translate: Select the gear icon at page bottom, select subtitles, then you can select auto-translate, and from there you can pick the language of your choice.)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
My bet after this evening's reveal:
  • ~45-50 megapixels, I lean towards 50 to add a slight step up from the R5. New sensor tech means it isn't just the same "old" 45 mp sensor from the R5.
  • 30 FPS electronic shutter with ability to flash sync
  • 12-14 fps mechanical shutter
  • 8K at 30 fps with better heat control due to larger heat sinks(not that this will ever be advertised, the development announcement didn't mention video once!)
  • LP-E20 or LP-E19NH battery pack with USB-C charging
  • Flip-out screen like the R5
  • IBIS
  • Dual CF Express Type B
  • Some sweet new EVF with higher-res, faster refresh rate, maybe even larger
  • $5500
Canon does call this higher than the R5, so I do think it's safe to say this camera will exceed the R5 in ways we just can't anticipate. But in order to exceed the R5, it also definitely needs to exceed the R6. Stacked sensor tech is nice, but it's still not a global shutter. I could have seen 24 megapixels getting by if it was a global shutter, but in a stacked sensor, I really do see this being on par or slightly higher than the R5.

Depending on the quality of the electronic shutter and the dynamic range/noise that the electronic shutter can pull off, I could actually see myself replacing my 1DX2 with this, if it is 45mp. I do really want to move over to the RF mount fully and sell my EF mount gear, so if the R3 can beat my 1DX2 and R5 in many ways while being "under" the 1DX3, it could get me to make that switch.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Fascinating move. I think they're using the R3 to playtest the technology that will make its way into the R1. If the eye-controlled autofocus is poorly received, they may drop it from consideration for the R1, just like they dropped the touch bar from the Canon bodies after the R, when everyone hated it.

Biggest question - does this body lack IBIS? Will they justify it by saying that IBIS isn't rugged enough for a camera of this style and for sports/wildlife/journalism use?

If we have the R3 in our collective hands this fall, I wouldn't expect the R1 until mid or late 2022 at the very soonest. I hope the R1 does include both a global shutter and IBIS. That would be terrific, IMO. Those things combined with class-leading image quality and autofocus, I couldn't ask for anything else.

Upvote 0