Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

I'm still really hung up on the "between the 1DX Mark III and EOS R5," I think we may very well see the R3 coming in around $4500-5500 instead of approaching the cost of the 1DX Mark III.

Jordan from DPReview TV noted that he was felt like one way they may differentiate it from the 1DX mark III is if it has a cheaper 12 FPS mechanical shutter mechanism like the R5, versus the expensive 20 FPS 1D shutter mechanism. That could make sense, if Canon feels confident enough in the stacked-sensor 30 FPS readout speed to mostly replace the mechanical shutter, they could save some cost on parts. Realistically, this camera doesn't need a mirror, a fancy mechanical shutter, or a huge crystal in the eyepiece, so it could very well end up being between the two cameras in cost.
I'm wishing for that price, but I think it will be significantly more than the R5 at release. I'm thinking, unfortunately, it will be priced competitively against the Sony A1. Ouch!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Wasn't the EOS 3 the camera with Eye-Activated autofocus back in the 90s? Well played!!
Unfortunately, the eye-tracking mode doesn't really work if you wear glasses, at least with my copy of an EOS 3. The EOS 3 had a lot of pro features in a smaller body, back then. Since the R3 has a big pro body, it is no real heir of the old "3" series. Well, people don't care about the revival of product lines that faded out nearly 20 years ago...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
My guess is R3 being the high megapixel pro camera.
The later R1 might be using the rumored 21MP global shutter sensor.

I also assume Canon generally will keep a 4 years release-frequenzy for their high-end pro camera(s). Ignoring the current scheduling chaos from COVID and general abnormalities caused by change of technology from DSLR to mirrorless, I'm guessing one camera released up to FIFA World Cups and the other body up to Summer Olympics. That could mean development-annoncements and release years like:

1DxIII: 2020 (Originally scheduled OL year)
R3: 2021-2022 (WC)
R1: 2023-2024 (OL)
R3 II: 2025-2026 (WC)

or maybe Canon take the chaotic times (including high level of technology changes and progress) as a opportunity to swap, so R3 are will be the "olympic" body and R1 aligned with WC:

R3: 2021 (rescheduled OL)
R1: 2022 (WC)
R3 II: 2023-2024 (OL)
R1 II: 2025-2026 (WC)

Yeah, all just speculations :) But a global shutter sensor in R1 would clearly differentiate the R1 and R3 series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The most interesting news from my perspective is "...a Canon-developed, full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated design..." A BSI sensor would be a real move from Canon to an - at least theoretically - improved low light performance. So they would catch up with Sonikon sensor tech in that respect. I dunno why they hesitated so long, maybe they were waiting for some patents to end (like with IBIS). So I hope BSI will later trickle down to sensors in smaller camera bodies (which I personally prefer).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I understood they were both 54mm diameter, the differences are in back focus distance, not diameter.
There are also some differences in the layout and size of the electronic connections, the bayonet is the same size, but there's more room inside the RF mount. This has been presented as a 'wider' mount, which is causing a lot of confusion.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Is it just me or more and more people would like to buy a flagship camera if it's not this huge body? Everyone seems to like the A1 for it's smaller size so Canon could make one camera like this. At least for "marketing" purposes.
I will always prefer the bigger camera, because it is more steady, has less overheating, longer battery life, can take larger memory cards (I hate those flimsy SD cards for example) and if I spend a lot of money, I want something big and solid. Also tiny cameras look strange with a big lens mounted on them. Not only with a big white lens, but also with my bulky Tamron 15-30 for example.

A large camera also often gives you an advantage: You will be seen as "press" without even having to show a press pass. Not at the Olympics of course. When I took a helicopter ride in New York, I was given the best seat next to the pilot when they saw my large camera, although the other passengers on the back seat had paid the same price for the ticket.

Of course sometimes a small camera can also have an advantage. Sometimes you can take a small camera somewhere where they will stop you with a large camera. For people who do not know the Sony A1, it might not look like a "serious" or "professional" camera. So you might be able to take it to a music festival or into a football stadium where you might run into problems with your 1D X III. So if you have deep pockets, it would be good to have both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The most interesting news from my perspective is "...a Canon-developed, full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated design..." A BSI sensor would be a real move from Canon to an - at least theoretically - improved low light performance. So they would catch up with Sonikon sensor tech in that respect.
Canon has 0 catching up to do. If they can manage to further improve their current sensor performance, they will exceed Sony, not catch up to them.

I think the more interesting implications here are features like the read speed and laying out the foundation for fabrication of global and quad pixel AF sensors.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My take on the R3 :

If the video specs are better or equivalent to the R5 / Sony FX3 with RAW video accross all resolutions, a nice flat profile, I will buy it.
If for photography, it has at least a 45-50mp+ sensor, with at least 20fps shooting, I will buy it no questions asked.

I have a question as I am a semi-professional :
Why everyone is talking about "global shutter", what is the big deal about that ?

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Is it just me or more and more people would like to buy a flagship camera if it's not this huge body? Everyone seems to like the A1 for it's smaller size so Canon could make one camera like this. At least for "marketing" purposes.

Much prefer the bigger body or a body with a grip. Canon R3 and Nikon Z9 is exactly what I am wanting to use when using a big lens. The form factor of the R3 and Z9 are what pro's have been using for decades.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A large camera also often gives you an advantage: You will be seen as "press" without even having to show a press pass. Not at the Olympics of course. Why I took a helicopter ride in New York, I was given the best seat next to the pilot when they saw my large camera, although the other passengers on the back seat had paid the same price for the ticket.

Just on this point, the bigger the camera I have out with me the less I get bothered by the general public. Also helps to put a old convention name tag on.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
With how heavy the lenses are, I now use the battery grip because the center of mass is all off and screws with balance of the camera/lens combo. I preferred to not use the battery grip on my 5DIVs, but with the R5 I need that weight. If they made more grip extensions like they did with the R, that didn't have the battery part, I would also be satisfied with that, but that's not an option so battery grip it is.

Upvote 0